Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
aliasmeum

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by aliasmeum » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 am

Hello artistebot,

When you are new to Marlin, it is a jungle trying to find information on your own level :)
I ended up using the official Marlin 1.1.6 release and do the necessary changes for my Taz5 in "Configuration.h" and "Configuration_adv.h", using the configuration files from Lulzbots "Marlin_TAZ45_Uaru_1.0.0.1" and Lulzbots Marlin-1.1.5 for TAZ6 as reference.
This is now working perfectly for me, but my Taz5 is modified, and my configurations would not work for a stock Taz5.

Today I have edited the configuration files so that they should be right for a stock Taz5. Please consider that this configuration has not been tested, but the files are attached. I have also attached a file that shows all the changes that I have done, compared to the official Marlin release. IMPORTANT: Also note that this configuration is for normally closed (NC) end-stop switches. I chose to keep this configuration since this is considered a safer solution. You can either change this in "Configuration.h" or you can connect your end-stops as NC-switches. You do this simply by moving the middle connector to the free pin on the end-stop switch.

Remember that you also will have to define your new hotend and extruder in "Configuration.h".

If you want to go on using my files, at your own risk, I will recommend this procedure:
- Download latest Marlin release, currently 1.1.6, from Marlins official site (http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/)
- Copy and paste the content of my attached file "Configuration.h(Taz5).odt" to a text file and replace this file with the "Configuration.h" file in the Marlin folder.
- Copy and paste the content of my attached file "Configuration_adv.h(Taz5).odt" to a text file and replace this file with the "Configuration_adv.h" file in the Marlin folder.
- Download Arduino IDE 1.8.5 from (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software)
- In Arduino IDE, install the U8glib library. From the menu "Sketch/Include Library/Manage Libraries". Search for U8glib, choose version 1.19.1 and Install it.
- Connect to your printers USB port and upload the new firmware.

I hope this is a solution that can help you.
Best regards
Robert
Attachments
Marlin-1.1.6-Taz5 configuration changes.ods
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Configuration.h(Taz5).odt
(40.33 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Configuration_adv.h(Taz5).odt
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

artistebot

Post by artistebot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you Robert!

Yes, Marlin is a lot to process. Before this, I have only edited a configuration.h file for my Anet A8 that I had upgraded w a MksGen1.4. The way Lulzbot customizes Marlin is cool, and more than I expected!

Following your direction and using the files you provided, I was able to update my Taz 5 to Marlin 1.1.6……whoo hoo! I also moved all three end stop connectors to NC, great tip! Now I need to find a way to offset the Auto home position.

A few notes:

I enabled INDIVIDUAL_AXIS_HOMING

I enabled CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME “TAZ 5”

I changed my extruder eSteps to 415 as it is a TitanAero

Tuned PID values

The EndStop pin for the X axis is blocked by the frame, but by bending it slightly outward I was able to put on the connector.

In what way is your Taz 5 modified?

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 am

Glad to be of assistance!

I guess that with the TitanAero, the nozzle will end up outside the printbed when homing to the end-stop switches. What about loosening the bed-to-frame clamps and physically move the printbed to the right position? You can then redefine "#define X_BED_SIZE 298" and "#define Y_BED_SIZE 275" in Marlin.

I have built a new y-axis for my Taz5. Hiwin linear guides, two 0,9 deg stepper motors with 15 mm timing belts. The printbed is a PEI-coated 8 mm aluminium plate with a 230V/600W silicone heater.
I have a brand new TitanAero waiting to be installed on the new x-axis I am currently working on (Starting to print the first parts for the axis today).

Best regards
Robert

GasPath_2

Post by GasPath_2 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 pm

I've had a Taz 5 for a long time (5 years?). I've been hesitant to do anything with the firmware until I lost my stepper driver for the extruder a few weeks back. Decided I would try my best to fix it on my own since the new ones are WAY out of my current monetary ability. If it wasn't for this web page, I never would have made it and my Taz would have ended up scrap.

I'm not sure why, but everything I tried to compile in the Arduino IDE failed. Over and over again. Even when I could get 1.1.6 or above to properly compile, my Taz would lock up, the heated bed would go into overdrive and the only recourse was to pull the plug. Then I found your work, Robert. I don't know why, but the first few runs failed to compile. Scrapped everything and found that the configuration.h was bad. Retrieved a fresh copy from your post and it was the first success I've had in two weeks. I went in, swapped the E0 and E1 pin numbers, swapped the extruder cable, and my printer is back in order.

I can't thank you enough. I use my printer a lot! Not having it was denting my hobby. So I really do appreciate this effort.

Thanks

GasPath

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Tue May 29, 2018 12:52 am

Hello GasPath.

I am always happy when something is saved from ending up as scrap. Glad to help you.

Best regards
Robert