Simplify3D is a software improvement

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
rynmiller

Simplify3D is a software improvement

Post by rynmiller » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:46 am

i have been having issues with slic3r and pronterface. i found the whole process cumbersome and slow, so i just purchased Simplify3D for $140 last night. it was somewhat of a leap of faith since they do not offer a trial version and the price is a bit more than i wanted to pay. however, it was totally worth it. within 20 minutes i bought the software, downloaded it, installed it and was printing. the interface is superior, the settings are better organized and in general the software is really nice. i was concerned there would be compatibility issues since software settings only list the taz3, but it worked like a champ last night. i started a 7 hour build with 8 individual parts and the parts are better quality than i was getting with previous software and i did not get any lifting like i was.

so far i am really happy with the purchase. so far i have only used ABS. i hope to start printing with other materials like laywood, t-glase, and ninja flex. however, i think the real test will be printing with a dual extruder.

nopick

Re: Simplify3D is a software improvement

Post by nopick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 am

I have had good luck with S3D as well. I have been able to produce much higher quality part with it that with Slic3r or Cura.

I have ran into a problem with it and how it handles thin vertical walls. If you have a thin wall and have the S3D set to do more than one perimeter, it most often will not infil the wall so you just end up with two really thin verticals that have a gap between them. S3D does not see this as a bug and recommends setting perimeters to 1 and infill overlap to 25% from 15%. It works but I like having two or three perimeters on most parts.

nurbnoob

Post by nurbnoob » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Purchased this software a few day ago, it is a great piece of software. I love being able to pick and choose my support structure placement and being able to drop an uneven leveled model below the build plate and have the program slice it properly.

I'm still learning the software but I think it was money well spent.

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Does this software have a print interface that will connect to a Taz? I've been using Slic3r and Repetier host for a while now, and I wish slicer did a bit better on a few things, but I also like being able to open one program, drop in a part, hit slice, then hit print without having to export gcode, etc.

nopick

Post by nopick » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes. It is pretty darn nice. Just a little pricey. I have not regretted spending the money on it.

The main driver for me was better support options. The supports it generates are editable and / or you can manually place the supports where you need them. Aaaaand, the supports are easily removed, unlike the last time I tried support structure in Slic3r.

It is not perfect but it is a vast improvement over the others I have tried. (Slic3r, cura, Repetier host)

They have a support email that has been helpful with the couple of questions I have had.

IMO they would sell many more copies of it if they would get a trial set up.

motominded

Post by motominded » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I have to say thank you for the review Rynmiller & nopick. Software is worth every penny.
More control and my output is instantly better with initial settings. Tweaking now and they are getting even better.
President: MotoMinded LLC
AO-100
2 TAZ3's
1 TAZ4

nopick

Post by nopick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 am

:D

I printed my first PLA part ever last night. I used the default S3D settings for PLA and it turned out pretty good. The retraction was a little hyperactive so I turn the distance before retraction up from 1mm to 3mm.

nopick

Post by nopick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Here is my current ABS factory file if you want to play with it. Remove the .txt to import it into S3D.
Attachments
absMed101114.factory.txt
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

chriswh86

Post by chriswh86 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Id love to see more reviews of this software. I am by no means a pro printer. But I find pronterface and slicr to be a PITA currently and would like to simplify down to 1 program and a powerful program at that.

More reviews would be great. Thanks everyone!

Chris,
Chris
Community Rep at Pinshape
Explore, Share & Download High-Quality 3D Printable Designs
www.Pinshape.com

nopick

Post by nopick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Honestly, if you enjoy using the printer but get aggravated futzing with Slic3r, this is well worth the money. S3D is crazy for not offering a trial.