Simplify3D is a software improvement

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
kcchen_00

Re: Simplify3D is a software improvement

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:35 pm

It didn't state that all the infills were the same... so you're right to be leary of that sort of result. :)

gghouck

Post by gghouck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:It didn't state that all the infills were the same... so you're right to be leary of that sort of result. :)
....sigh...you're just arguing for sport.

Go back and read your own posts.

GeorgeKuzyk

Post by GeorgeKuzyk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:17 am

nopick wrote:Honestly, if you enjoy using the printer but get aggravated futzing with Slic3r, this is well worth the money. S3D is crazy for not offering a trial.
S3D is sounding more and more interesting to make the jump to it manly for placing supports where you want and not all over everywhere like cura. How about the gcode files for start-up on the mini. Nozzle cleaning, bed leveling etc. can they be copied over to S3D, if so how and where do you save them in S3D. Also do you need to copy the gcode files over for every different filament that you would use to make sure it went through the cleaning nozzle and bed leveling..

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:59 am

GeorgeKuzyk wrote:
S3D is sounding more and more interesting to make the jump to it manly for placing supports where you want and not all over everywhere like cura. How about the gcode files for start-up on the mini. Nozzle cleaning, bed leveling etc. can they be copied over to S3D, if so how and where do you save them in S3D. Also do you need to copy the gcode files over for every different filament that you would use to make sure it went through the cleaning nozzle and bed leveling..
I have a TAZ4 so I don't know the specifics of the mini startup sequence, but:
There is a tab in the S3D settings that lets you add any gcode you want At start print, end print, between layer or at a particular layer, etc. If you can sparse out the sequence for the mini it should be easy to just copy over. And these settings apply for any print, so changing filament is pretty easy. I would create a template with the startup gcode then tweak the filament settings and save that as a setup file (I think they call them factory files).

Regardless this should be easy and intuitive to do on S3D

GeorgeKuzyk

Post by GeorgeKuzyk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:29 pm

KosmoPi wrote:
GeorgeKuzyk wrote:
I have a TAZ4 so I don't know the specifics of the mini startup sequence, but:
There is a tab in the S3D settings that lets you add any gcode you want At start print, end print, between layer or at a particular layer, etc. If you can sparse out the sequence for the mini it should be easy to just copy over. And these settings apply for any print, so changing filament is pretty easy. I would create a template with the startup gcode then tweak the filament settings and save that as a setup file (I think they call them factory files).

Regardless this should be easy and intuitive to do on S3D
Great thanks for the info. I am going to look into making the move to S3D very shortly..

nopick

Post by nopick » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:21 pm

I am running my Mini with gcode generated in S3D. I will post my current factory file again if anyone is interested.

I hard coded my temps in the startup gcode but you can use S3Ds variables.

GeorgeKuzyk

Post by GeorgeKuzyk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:43 pm

nopick wrote:I am running my Mini with gcode generated in S3D. I will post my current factory file again if anyone is interested.

I hard coded my temps in the startup gcode but you can use S3Ds variables.
That would be great no pick to repost again with the factory settings.

brazen521

Post by brazen521 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:21 pm

To everybody who was disappointed with S3D's infill options, they released a big update (3.0) today that addresses that. Printing a bracket now with hex infill to see how it goes. Options are full hex, fast hex, rectilinear, wiggle (zigzag), triangular and grid. Lots of other updates, too. 3.0 is free to existing users.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:08 am

Actually v3.0 was quietly released about a week ago, but their announcement email just went out today. Not sure what happened or what was happening. Lots of interesting things... seems to be a focus on dual extruders too (wipe pillars, ooze shield)

If you have stored profiles, probably best to recreate them from the base machine profiles. Not sure if they are converted to incorporate the new parameters. I particularly like being able to select print quality characteristics (Fast, Medium, High) within the profile and get some presets like layer height, infill %... Though this may have been available in the past, and I just missed out by creating profiles from scratch in the past... :)

nopick

Post by nopick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:10 am

There are many nice fixes and features in V3.

Unfortunately, they still have a problem slicing parts with thin walls. The slicer just refuses to infill some of them. On very thin walls, it still prints to single pass walls next to each other that may or may not be fused. This problem alone sends me back to slic3r for many parts.
s3d.JPG
S3D
slic3r.JPG
Slic3r