Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
vitormhenrique

Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Post by vitormhenrique » Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 am

So I started porting the g28 and g29 commands from the development branch to the firmware that Lulzbot uses, but gave up on the first 3 hours... the default firmware is too old, I think it is based on 2013 code, porting only that portion would be an considerable effort.

So I went for option two, ported the lulzbot changes to the latest marlin firmware, it is not 100% yet... I still need to redo the sound part, the current marlin sound (when using the lcd) is annoying. I will remove the delay on the lcd screen that lulzbot added because it does not work well on the new firmware.

Things that I tested and it is working:
  • ->Fans (both the controller and the cooling)
    ->Extrusion / Retraction
    ->X,Y and Z movements
    ->Bed leveling with the grid map
    ->And it is obviously printing :)
I did not test the eeprom storage of settings yet. I also had one problem where even setting the temperature using pronterface, the printer stopped after the g29 command waiting the temperature reach the correct temperature, I did not had the temperature set on cura, I'm still investigating what is happening there.... I'll try PID Tuning the extruder with the new firmware.

Note: This is not an official firmware that lulzbot supports, upgrade it at your own risk.

I forked the official marlin and I'm planing to keep the code up to date whenever a new feature is introduced on marlin.

The link of the forked branch is: https://github.com/vitormhenrique/Marlin

Use this lulzbot guide to upgrade your printer: https://ohai-kit.alephobjects.com/proje ... -flashing/

ray

Re: Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Post by ray » Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey vitor,

Just got an update from our research team. They are working on testing some of that firmware currently with a new custom RAMBo-ish board project:

http://devel.lulzbot.com/electronics/dacono/firmware/

Give it a look.

mushoo

Post by mushoo » Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Nice, Vitor!

3dprintdaddy - any other info on this RAMBo-ish board? Is it meant for the Mini? I tried opening up the .brd files but it looks like they're not made in Eagle. (Maybe Kicad? I don't have Kicad.)

ray

Post by ray » Mon May 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey Mushoo, not 100% sure, I am guessing this one is going to be used for Kauri (http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Kauri/).

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Nice work, Vitor! Definitely want to add the autoprobe in the next few months.

vitormhenrique

Post by vitormhenrique » Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 am

Updated the code, removed the delay and the annoying sound.

The new firmware is working like a charm, you can see it working on this video.

I tuned the new extruder using the latest marlin and it gave me very similar PID settings. To make the grid level faster is easy. Just change the level before probe to a lower value instead of 10mm (1mm should work fine).

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:50 am

Hi vitormhenrique, do you stil try to keep the code up to date? as far as i can see, it's Version 1.0.1?

discojon

Post by discojon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:31 pm

FYI,

I was able to get Auto Bed Compensation (G29) working using the Official 2015Q3 FW from Lulzbot. I had to enable support in Configuration.h but the support is now baked in. I'm not sure about mesh leveling though.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

vitormhenrique

Post by vitormhenrique » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Lulzbot released a newer firmware that has most of this stuff.

I need to analyze the code and make a decision if it is still needed to keep this branch.

I can start looking to the newer 1.1 Release Candidate if you guys think that this could be beneficial.

Meanwhile you could check the official lulzbot firmware:
http://download.lulzbot.com/TAZ/5.0.1/s ... _firmware/

vitormhenrique

Post by vitormhenrique » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Look's like Lulzbot it still using a firmware based on 1.0.0 so I don't think it has the grid map methodology.

I'll update this branch to 1.0.2. Give me a couple of days and I'll post here the results.