Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
discojon

Re: Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Post by discojon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:01 am

Sebastian wrote:Mesh Leveling is easy:
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... d-Leveling

In the attachment you can find the .hex file and a Marlin folder with the sources itself.

Changes to original-Marlin 1.1-RC2:
.) TAZ specific values added (steps/mm, ..)
.) New value in 1.1 "Travel acceleration" set to 1200
.) Enabled FW retraction with my best values for that
.) Enabled SD Support (of course..)
.) Reduced extruder acceleration from 3000 to 2400. 3000 is TAZ 5 default, but thats to high. Extruder is missing steps, resulting in blobs when unretracting. 2400 is the highest safe value for my extruder.
.) Enabled filament change possibility
.) Preheat options for PLA and ABS
.) All "Lulzbot-specific" changes (only Boot logo and another font, to be precise ;) )

.) Just for information: Thermal protection is enabled by default in this Marlin release, so your TAZ shouldn't get on fire as seen last days in this forum 8-)

Edit: Use it at your own risk, of course..
Awesome!

I'll build it and try it out tonight!
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

discojon

Post by discojon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Are there any changes i need to make in the slicer to account for FW retraction?

Such as using

Code: Select all

M208 S-0.05 F180
M207 S1 F1800
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

discojon

Post by discojon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Enabled Auto Bed leveling and flashed. Working better than ever. Thanks!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 pm

In slic3r, there is a checkbook in the printer tab "use firmware retraction". I read a post somewhere that also cura is able to do that, but I have not in my mind where it's hidden.

No other changes are necessary.

discojon

Post by discojon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 am

Can't find anything in S3D on it. Apparently it isn't supported yet. I disabled it via the LCD for now. I have noticed the fan for the rambo runs more frequently and aggressively on this build. Any idea on how to tame it?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 am

If you turn Autoretract to on in the LCD, marlin treats each extruder only move as retract or unrectract. So it's not absolutly necessary that the slicer supports it. But I have not tested this.

The fan is the only thing that was better with stock firmware, thats true. I think it was temperature-controlled, now it's only coupled to stepper movement. If the first stepper is engaged, it's starting, if the last stepper wasn't moved for x seconds, it's disabled again. I have not found an option in marlin to changes this behavior. But I was not trying to hard, the fan from the powersupply is 10x louder than the rambo fan, so who cares..

voi9viper

Post by voi9viper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:11 am

its in Configuration_adv.h

#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50

the extruder hotend cooling fan should come on above 50 degrees on either ex for truder. You can change the speed with M106 P10 S??? where ??? is betweeen about 160 and 255. Below 160 the fan won't start. I meant to measure the voltage but it's always 0 now :(

I usually update the latest dev firmware to work with a TAZ every few weeks. I can start making a post once I get it working. I also add a Home Z Axis only, change the time out before the LCD returns to the Status screen, change the status screen to display an extra decimal place for the Z axis, and I'm sure I missed a couple of other minor changes I make for my own use. The new Z axis ballscrews were really working well, too, but I may go to a rostock before rebuilding the TAZ.

discojon

Post by discojon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for the info. I was referring to the Rambo cooling fan in the case though. It seems to run as described above rather than as before on 2015Q1.

discojon

Post by discojon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 am

Sebastian, I see there is a new RC3 out for Marlin. Have you had a chance to look through the changelog to see if it's worth updating?

discojon

Post by discojon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 am

voi9viper wrote:its in Configuration_adv.h

#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50

the extruder hotend cooling fan should come on above 50 degrees on either ex for truder. You can change the speed with M106 P10 S??? where ??? is betweeen about 160 and 255. Below 160 the fan won't start. I meant to measure the voltage but it's always 0 now :(

I usually update the latest dev firmware to work with a TAZ every few weeks. I can start making a post once I get it working. I also add a Home Z Axis only, change the time out before the LCD returns to the Status screen, change the status screen to display an extra decimal place for the Z axis, and I'm sure I missed a couple of other minor changes I make for my own use. The new Z axis ballscrews were really working well, too, but I may go to a rostock before rebuilding the TAZ.
I'd love to see a forked branch of the Dev 1.1 someone was keeping up to date for the TAZ 5