Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
Sebastian

Re: Latest marlin firmware for TAZ 5

Post by Sebastian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 am

I'm looking on https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases from time to time. There, it's still RC2..

From the readme of RC3:
RC3 - 01 Dec 2015 A number of language sensitive strings have been revised Formatting of the LCD display has been improved to handle negative coordinates better Various compiler-related issues have been corrected
Doesn't sounds very intresting.. There are no compiler issues for the lulzbot config and I don't need new languages (I'm german, and still using the default english menu. German menu entries always reads very strange if you are used to the english terms :lol: ).

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 am

@Discojon: I just have seen you linked my marlin config on Thingiverse.. Time to do an update!

I tried the filament change command a few days ago, there is a bug with the automatic filament change option! The hobbed bolt will eat your filament if you try to use it this way :shock:
Therefore I disabled the autochange-option. If you use the change-command, here is how to change the filament:
.) The head will move to the front left edge of the print bed.
.) Remove the filament as usual.
.) Load the new filament, pushing the rest of the old color out of the nozzle by pushing on the filament itself or close the filament release clamp and turn the extruder gear by hand. The stepper is disabled at this step.
.) After purging all old filament, press the LCD knob. The head now moves to the part and continues printing.

Small Changelog to my last release:
- Disabled automatic filament change options (see above)
- Added PETG preheat profile

You may have problems with you settings (PID values and so on) after flashing, thats due to the changed EEPROM layout (added PETG profile). Simply load factory defaults and then choose "Store memory".
Attachments
Marlin.rar
(964.02 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

discojon

Post by discojon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for the update. I personally don't use that option. I have a script that i manually embed into the gcode to do my color swaps.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

billyd

Post by billyd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:52 pm

I needed this firmware because I am using a #11 thernistor on my extuder and the stock (older) Taz firmware doesn't define 11. However, now my heatbed is reading about 5c low at ambient. I even tried using another #11 thermistor on the heat bed, changed the bed sensor to #11, reflashed, and it still read 5c low. I was having intermittent problems with the bed sensor, but I thought it was a loose connector.

Is this a problem with my Rambo? What if I wanted to use T3 (instead of T2) on the Rambo for the heated bed. How hard would it be to make that happen? Could that resolve my issue?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:50 am

Try to flash back to the original fw and see if the error persists. I can't imagine that this is due to the fw change, as long as you don't changed to bed sensor accidently.

By the way, it looks like RC4 with a huge amount of bug fixes will be released very soon :) I will configure this release for the taz 5 again as soon as it's available.

billyd

Post by billyd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:09 am

Sebastian wrote:Try to flash back to the original fw and see if the error persists. I can't imagine that this is due to the fw change, as long as you don't changed to bed sensor accidently.

By the way, it looks like RC4 with a huge amount of bug fixes will be released very soon :) I will configure this release for the taz 5 again as soon as it's available.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the work you do with getting these setup for the Taz. It's nice to have the latest release for Marlin.

discojon

Post by discojon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm in for RC4 :D
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 am

Sebastian wrote:Try to flash back to the original fw and see if the error persists. I can't imagine that this is due to the fw change, as long as you don't changed to bed sensor accidently.

Switching back to stock Taz 2015 firmware corrects the issue! I ended up manually changing the thermistortables.h to use my custom extruder (thermistor 11 doesn't appear in current stock Taz firmware).

I am using thermistor #7 for the bed (I am using a customized bed also) and it works perfectly with stock 2015 Taz firmware. When I flash to the firmware posted by Sebastion in this thread, none of the thermistor selections work properly for the bed before or after running PID optimization. It reads about 5°C low at ambient and is off by about 15°C at printing temps (100°C). I wonder if there is a bug in Sebastion's firmware somewhere?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 am

There was some discussion about the thermistor tables a while back on marlin git. Maybe this bug is also in the RC2..
Stock TAZ 5 thermistors should work fine, I have no problems woth them.

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Sebastian wrote:There was some discussion about the thermistor tables a while back on marlin git. Maybe this bug is also in the RC2..
Stock TAZ 5 thermistors should work fine, I have no problems woth them.

Yup that's probably why few noticed the issue. I switched to an E3Dv6 with a #11 thermistor. Which is not listed in the 2015 Taz 5 firmware. So when I switched to your version, I was able to use #11 and it worked. But then it broke my bed thermistor (#7) which used to work perfectly in the 2015 Taz 5 firmware.

Because I have a hybrid setup...... most Taz users won't see a problem here.