Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
hrabbot

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by hrabbot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:11 pm

If anyone compiles the new Marlin for a Taz 5 before I get to it, I'd appreciate a post of the config'd source files or .hex.

I went back to stock FW for a while because of the grinding noises during tight curves, but ended up going back to Sebastian's .hex because the results were so nice. A few minor bugs (heating failures after cancelling and restarting a print is the only one I can think of right now) but overall it's awesome. Can't wait to test drive the new one. What other new features have been rolled in? Can K be tweaked via LCD menu?

billyd

Post by billyd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm

EDIT NEVERMIND NONE OF THOSE INCLUDES ARE ALLOWED IN THIS VERSION.

Sebastian I have been going through the configuration.h and _adv.h of the latest bugfix branch to change all the values to Taz 5 and I just noticed in the _adv.h you include conditionals.h twice (I am going by your second firmware posted in this thread). Once in the beginning of the _adv.h file and once at the end followed by sanitycheck.h

This seems odd. Is this correct? I am not a programmer but it seems strange to me but perhaps it's normal.

billyd

Post by billyd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 pm

I have it almost working except once I begin heating the extruder if I select the prepare menu it is blank. If extruder heat is off I can access the prepare menu. odd huh?

Any idea how I screwed up?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:36 am

hrabbot wrote:What other new features have been rolled in? Can K be tweaked via LCD menu?
For complete Marlin, it's best to read through the changelog provided in the releases section, see here.
I was mostly active inside the planner and stepper code, a little bit about the LCD display also. For the end user, the changes are a higher possible step rate due to a smarter display update routine (it was blocking the segment planner before sometimes) - AnHardt did the most work here.
Some bugs got fixed in the LIN_ADVANCE code, mainly the junction speeds between two segments had errors. For example, Line 1 was able to end with a extruder speed of 5mm/s and the next startet with 10mm/s. This is of course not wat happens in reality and it was one source of extra-rattling from the extruder. Other things are speed related, the code as it is now runs faster.
K is still not accessible over the LCD menu because it makes not much sense in my eyes. It depends on the used printing material, so it's better to enter a line like "M905 K110" in the start-gcode section of your slicer. This way, you will have a propper K value when you switch from PLA to ABS for example.
billyd wrote:.. once I begin heating the extruder if I select the prepare menu it is blank. If extruder heat is off I can access the prepare menu. odd huh?
How do you heat the extruder to get this error, by selecting the material over the menu or by sending a heat and wait command? I can't reproduce it here, but I'm also not using the heat and wait thing. If it's related to this only, I guess it's a bug inside Marlin and than it should go on the GitHub page.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:53 am

@billyd, just found this PR #5647 on Marlin GitHub. Sounds like your menu bug and a fix for it :)

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks I was too tired to look for it last night I was going to try today but you saved me the trouble!

I still have one other issue though my test print is stopping suddenly after an initial priming brim run. As soon as it makes two passes on a perimeter brim and moves to print the actual part my extruder squeeks and the print abruptly stops. This one might take awhile to figure out.

Edit: In the new version, the max extrude length is set to 200 but in prior versions on your config.h you had it set equal to the sum of max x + max y or something along those lines. Which should I use?

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 am

Menissalt wrote:
Sebastian wrote:This code is based on a marlin release candidate, so there will be some smaller bugs. But i couldn't find one since I'm using this versions, in most cases they happen with printers using Corexy setups or bed leveling.
I'm using it for daily printing, but just have a copy of your current firmware on you computer. If you see some bugs, you can restore your old firmware within 3 minutes. :)
I'd already installed it, I just got too excited. Good to hear though!

I'm on my 8th 20x20x20 cube, the first 5 were calibrating before the update. Post upgrade there was an immediate improvement, the only thing I changed was my z offset by +.01. I'm currently testing FW retraction with Simplify3D, I've found out that retraction must be checked and the following has to be added to the "Additional terminal commands for post processing" under the "Scripts" tab:

Code: Select all

{REPLACE "G1 E-1.0000 F6000\n" "G10\n"}
{REPLACE "G1 E0.0000 F6000\n" "G11\n"}
{REPLACE "G1 E0.0000 F1800\n" "G11\n"}
Cube 6 is the first one printed after the update, these pictures aren't really doing it justice. I ended up at 50mm/s and 30% speed on the last outline loop which probably isn't as important with the advance feature, but prints are turning out nice. after a few bigger items I'll play with making it quicker. Pardon all of my notes on the cubes, I was keeping track of my changes.
20160611_015022.jpg20160611_015046.jpg

I have a question about the replacement code above. Why are you replacing G1...F6000's? Shouldn't you be only replacing retract commands which would only have F1800?

Why wouldn't you have, instead:

Code: Select all

{REPLACE "G1 E-1.0000 F1800\n" "G10\n"}
{REPLACE "G1 E0.0000 F1800\n" "G11\n"}

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:52 am

Regarding the max. extrusion length, I never changed it. If it was something different before, it should be a Lulzbot default setting. 200mm should be also more than enough.
As soon as it makes two passes on a perimeter brim and moves to print the actual part my extruder squeeks and the print abruptly stops.
Do you get a error message on the LCD or in Cura / Pronterface serial console? Does this also happen with LIN_ADVANCE disabled?
The gCode of this section would be intresting. I guess it has something todo with the retract / prime move that will happen at the end of this travel move. Do you use HW or normal retract?

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:15 am

Sebastian wrote:Regarding the max. extrusion length, I never changed it. If it was something different before, it should be a Lulzbot default setting. 200mm should be also more than enough.
As soon as it makes two passes on a perimeter brim and moves to print the actual part my extruder squeeks and the print abruptly stops.
Do you get a error message on the LCD or in Cura / Pronterface serial console? Does this also happen with LIN_ADVANCE disabled?
The gCode of this section would be intresting. I guess it has something todo with the retract / prime move that will happen at the end of this travel move. Do you use HW or normal retract?
No error message and no indication of anything wrong other than everything just stops. I have lin_advance off because I have to calibrate it still and at k = 110 it barely extrudes anything (looks like about 50% of the material is coming out of the extruder, maybe less). Using FW retract but I would appreciate an answer about the search and replace codes to convert G1 to G10 and G11 in my recent post. I was wondering why he wants to replace rapid moves with G10 or G11. Seems weird.

Anyway I will post the gcode later I am at work right now. Also I think the progress bar didn't appear now that I think about it so I may have some more thing to uncomment that I missed. I was blearly eyed, it's tedious work getting the .h files correct for the Taz 5.

billyd

Post by billyd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Fixed everything got it printing but I can't get lin_advance to extrude anything. Obviously doing something stupid

Never mind it all works now. Just being stupid as I thought.