Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
billyd

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by billyd » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Fixed thermal runaway problem by increasing parameters very high but now I have this strange issue.

Seems like the firmware controlling the heating of the extruder occasionally goes to sleep. Weird. Here's a video of the behavior. You'll only have to watch the first minute of the video, because it happens right away in the video, but doesn't happen again. Too lazy to edit the rest out lol.

https://vimeo.com/199506521

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:25 am

Usual reasons for such temperature drops would be:
.) Mistakes in extruder PID numbers - copy/paste error from old config file? (Edit: Noticed you mentioned you have already redone them in the video)
.) Fan speed changes during this print section? But according to the display info the fan wasn't running?

Is this repeatable with some kind of test object? If yes, it would be intresting if it still occurs with LIN_ADVANCE disabled.

billyd

Post by billyd » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm

After I posted my print stopped at the exact same spot two print attempts in a row. Same x, y and z position. No error code shown. Nozzle just sitting there, still hot, bed still hot. No printing. Weird.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:31 am

Maybe it's related to this one: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/5699

Do you use bed leveling?

billyd

Post by billyd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

No I don't. I have a custom removable bed of my own design which is fully manual 3 point leveling. Not a fan of software bed leveling. I prefer to get it mechanically right and print oldschool I guess.

The problems started when I reduced the values in adv.h to avoid thermal runaway. Perhaps I have a hardware problem I don't know. I may have to switch back to the older fw and do a print and see if the issue continues. I think that might be the easiest way to rule out the hardware as the source.

But it's really really weird that the print stopped 4+ hours into the print at the exact same spot in the exact same layer. That doesn't seem possible to be hardware.

billyd

Post by billyd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:35 pm

This may be related to the problem you linked though. Especially since the thermal stability of my extruder is also effected...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:53 pm

There is another issue about freezing Marlin: Issue #5660.
But this one is not related to LIN_ADVANCE. But maybe advance is also only a trigger for a problem in another area.
At the moment I have no real idea where to start. I will do some changes to the planner file to report some debugging values - hoping to see something strange in the block buffer variables.
Please note down the line or area where it happens and store the gcode. When I have the new file, running this section of gcode should reproduce the error.

Maybe even better: We have nearly the same printers. Let's try to send me the problematic gcode area and see if I can reproduce it. It would be much simpler to find the error if I can play with it localy!

billyd

Post by billyd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Here is the gcode.

This is setup for a .4mm nozzle, .48 print width. 250c on the extruder, 100c on the bed. 2.81mm diameter ABS filament. Firmware retract, .5mm at 1800 feed rate. Default print speed 5000mm/min

I don't know exactly where it fails in the code but I can get you close via measurement. The failure measures at very close to z= 50.6mm high including the raft. The nozzle stops while doing infill in the left hand of the creature (creature's perspective). Somewhere near line 590,000 or so. (+/- 5000 lines). Near layer 250.
Attachments
deathclawHighPolyABS.zip
(12.1 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

billyd

Post by billyd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Here's a picture of where it fails
failurepoint.jpg

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks, I will test it on my printer as soon as possible!