Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
movingimage

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by movingimage » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am

Yep-

I too have gone back to stock.

If LulzBot released an official firmware with this tweak, that would be great. Especilly if they could figure out how to do some kind of smoothing alg. that would allow for less frequent adjustments leading to stepper chatter and vibration. I also really like the firmware retraction, having a seperate un-retract speed can be great for preventing blobs.

Best,
J

discojon

Post by discojon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 am

Well after waiting and hoping Sebastian would return and enlighten us with a new build, and unfortunately not hearing from him for a while, I have compiled the latest Marlin version (1.1.0 RC7).

I'm not going to post it here because it has specific tweaks to my machine (zprobe and auto leveling) but i will say that initial impressions are positive. I'll continue to do testing. If anyone wants a copy of the build please PM me. Remember, I am using a very heavily modified Taz so unless you have followed my path, this build may / will not work for your machine.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

hrabbot

Post by hrabbot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am

movingimage wrote:Yep-

I too have gone back to stock.

If LulzBot released an official firmware with this tweak, that would be great. Especilly if they could figure out how to do some kind of smoothing alg. that would allow for less frequent adjustments leading to stepper chatter and vibration. I also really like the firmware retraction, having a seperate un-retract speed can be great for preventing blobs.

Best,
J
Interesting. What relative settings are you using for retract/unretract that have helped blobs? I'm considering giving this firmware another go. Thought I'd print an extruder gear set out of nylon to see if that helps dampen the noise and vibration a bit.

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 am

Hi-

I use(d) a slower unretract than retract...for ABS or PLA I'd retract at 25-30 and unretract at 6-12. Only need about .35 retract if the K value is dialed in well. Hard to say if the FW retraction was what helped blobs or if it is merely the nozzle pressure reduction at the end of a line and before a move due to the Linear Advance function.

J

discojon

Post by discojon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:26 am

discojon wrote:Well after waiting and hoping Sebastian would return and enlighten us with a new build, and unfortunately not hearing from him for a while, I have compiled the latest Marlin version (1.1.0 RC7).

I'm not going to post it here because it has specific tweaks to my machine (zprobe and auto leveling) but i will say that initial impressions are positive. I'll continue to do testing. If anyone wants a copy of the build please PM me. Remember, I am using a very heavily modified Taz so unless you have followed my path, this build may / will not work for your machine.
Well i've reverted to my previous build for now. I had FW retraction working well, but for some reason the Z axis was skipping steps and not respecting accelerations values.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

hrabbot

Post by hrabbot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:36 am

I've been doing some reading, and it seems like perhaps further improvement to the linear advance function may be impractical with the current controller hardware. A Smoothieboard or Duet would have extra resources to devote to the computation overhead, but I think the ATMega2560 is pretty much tapped out as it is. I'm not a programmer, but I've seen this statement repeated several places.

I'm not sure if Smoothieware or the RepRap firmware for the Duet offer any pressure control/advance functions. If so, I might start heading towards a brain transplant in my Taz.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am

Hi everyone, and sorry for the long time away! I went to the Marlin Github project to get the LIN_ADVANCE code into the main Marlin branch and somewhere this forum was off my mind.. :oops: I hope I will now be here again on a regular time intervall!

To give you a short summary, the Advance feature is now inside the official Marlin code and there was a lot of changes since the last posted .hex files here. That means, for everyone who want's to use it or add further features: Just get a copy of the and go through Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files using your existing files from the current firmware as a reference.

There are a lot of new features inside Marlin now compared to the Lulzbot stock FW, which will also result in smoother printing inside high-resolution arc perimeters for example. It's worth giving it a try - and of course don't forget to test LIN_ADVANCE ;)

Important Note:
If you use the latest Marlin Code, you need another K value due to a changed alorithm. Instead of the 75, it might be somwhere around 110 for a TAZ 5. Also read the [url=http://marlinfw.org/docs/features/lin_advance.html]Documentation
for further infos.

hrabbot

Post by hrabbot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 am

This makes me so excited, thanks Sebastian! I haven't compiled FW for the Taz before - it's been a couple years since I config'd Marlin and compiled a hex, but this is a great reason to relearn.

Can I use most of the settings from Lulzbot's latest config.h?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 pm

hrabbot wrote:Can I use most of the settings from Lulzbot's latest config.h?
Yes I think so. Just open both files in an editor side by side and go through them. Some options will be new or reordered, but it shouldn't be too hard.

billyd

Post by billyd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks Sebastian so great to have you back! I was using an older version of your updated fw for taz (I think it's the second one in this thread) and while really good leaves the occasional blob. The later ones had other problems can't recall what they were anymore. So I am hopeful this newest version will fix all of that. Either way I've gotten MUCH better prints with any of the fw from this thread vs the stock one from Lulzbot which frankly produces terrible prints.