Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
Sebastian

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by Sebastian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Your video links are not working for me?
Have you changed something like the k factor, the communication baud rate or have you enabled more features? Which filament are you printing with?

Wired moves can occur when there are communication errors, and your other two problems sounds like the extruder is missing steps. But that shouldn't occur with this fw config..

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Sorry!

The video links should work now.

To answer your questions: I used your pre compiled hex, with no changes. I'm using hatchbox pla which is my go-to brand. It is consistent and works quite well.

what do you think the problems might be?

J

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:52 am

Are you printing from an SD card or over USB? I guess USB, because I think you have communication errors. What print host do you use, is it showing some error strings during the prints?

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:25 am

Hi!

I am using S3D. I made no changes to my settings after loading the new firmware. Same 115k Baud.

I didn't notice any errors when on verbose, but maybe they went by too fast. I'll have to re-load the firmware and try again.

Would comunication errors also be responsible for the loud stutter coming from the extruder stepper?

I'd really like to get your FW working. Even with these hiccups I could see how the extruder slowed/reversed at the ends of infill lines and how that was positively affecting dimensional accuracy!

I'm happy to test out any suggestions you have :)

Thank You,
J

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 am

I think you got me wrong. I'm not meaning communication errors during the FW upload, I mean during printing. The wired moves to the edges of the print bed happen when there is a char missing in the serial stream and the checksum isn't good enough so the printer isn't reacting to this event.
The stutter happens when the printer has a lot of bad commands that need to be resent two or three times until the checksum matches the command. This leads to a lot of overhead, causing buffer underruns and not enough free power to make smooth print mooves in worst case.

Is simplify also having a command window during the print where you can see the returning messages during a print? For example when you set the print temperature, there should be a respond. There should be also one when you connect to the printer.

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 am

Sebastian,

I wasn't clear, I'm sorry. I did get what you meant. I didn't notice any errors in the print message window during printing, but I had it in verbose mode and it all scrolled by very quickly. I can re-flash your firmware and then print and look again.

What might cause communcation errors pritning with this FW but not the stock one? The newest version of S3D (3.1) has an option for flow control I could turn on, might that make any difference?

Best,
J

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:08 am

Do you think any of these settings would matter? Is there something different in this FW that affects these settings?
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 1.07.00 PM.png

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:20 am

No idea if the flow control is compatible with the TAZ, I don't know that feature.
Ah, I just found out that Simplify3d wasn't supporting checksums at all until this month - incredible it's possible to sell software lacking essential functions for that money.. Try to check "Include line numbers and checksums" in your screenshot. That should heal your wired moves, maybe even the other things.

I would recommend to do a comparison to another host software. Get Pronterface, save the gcode created in Simplify3D, open it with Pronterface and print from there. First reason to do this: I know Pronterface will make the errors visible for you but I'm not shure for Simplify. Second, Pronterface is solid software, so we can make shure if Simplify has a bug causing this.

The pressure control adds load to the CPU, that's why it is harder for the printer to keep up with every sent char. But normaly, there shouldn't be a single error that's why I think it could be a bug in Simplify..

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Sebastian,

I turned on Checksumming, and the crazy moves are gone. So, that is fixed.

The loud clicking from the Extruder stepper is still there though:

https://vimeo.com/171138091

I get no errors using S3D or printrun. I do get a fair number of "Busy, processing..." messages on curves or other complex moves.

Any thoughts?

Joe

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 pm

oh...figured I'd post the gcode that is causing the extruder issue:
Attachments
TestWskirtgcode.txt
(924.57 KiB) Downloaded 72 times