Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
Sebastian

Re: Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:51 pm

There has to be errors, especialy when enabling the checksum for error correction fixed the one problem.. Or you changed the object and the errors where only on one special gcode (for example if it has curves with many points).

The noise may be OK, as long as the print looks good. I will dryrun your gcode tomorow morning and see what happens. When you unload the filament check for backlash in the extruder gear by moving it by hand. Check every 90° position of the big gear. If it's more than a very tiny amount that could also cause the noise.

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Sebastian,

Thank you for helping me get to the bottom of this. I appreciate the time you are taking.

Let me know what the results of your dry run are. In the meantime, I will check all you suggested and get back to you.

J

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:14 am

I did the dry run, now I'm sure the noise is due to excessive slack in your heringbone gears. I get the same noise when I run your print without filament, so there is no load to dampen the hard steps of the extruder. As soon as I apply some "breaking" by putting a finger in the nut of the extruder bolt, the noise is gone.
This will not harm your printer, but it will increase the wear of your gears. Do the "wobble" test as I described before, and if there is some play, readjust the position of the stepper by loosening the 4 screws (easy when you take of the extruder from the mount plate). After loosening them, press the small gear to the big one with one hand and tighten the screws simultainously. Recheck the play by turning the gears by hand, repeat if necessary. Have in mind that printed gears are nevery perfectly round, so there might be more loose pisitions. I tend to search for the loosest position and clamp the stepper to eleminate the slack in this position.

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Sebastian,

Thank you so much!

I looked at the extruder stepper, and man- one of the bolts was totally loose, and there was a lot of play between the stepper and the big gear...I pressed them together and that fixed it - mostly. There is still sometimes a less-pronounced version of the vibration. Maybe, as you said the gears are out-of-round and don't contact with each other perffectly in all arrangements.

I really do appreciate your help. I'm going to give the firmware a real shot and I'll report back.

Best,
J

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:21 am

Sebastian,

So far, I am liking the firmware. Seems to work nicely.

I Noticed 1 thing - someone else on here mentioned the same thing a few days ago:

If I use my standard software retraction, I get fairly sizable gaps at the start of un-retracts. Almost like it isn't unretracting.

When I switch to FW retraction (by replacing all of my gcode retracts with G10/G11 commands, the prints are perfect. For my specific settings I use this post-processing code:

Code: Select all

{REPLACE "G1 E-0.8500 F1750\n" "G10\n"}
{REPLACE "G1 E0.0000 F1750\n" "G11\n"}
{REPLACE "G1 E0.0000 F525\n" "G11\n"}
So, I'll use FW retraction which is no problem. Just curious why you think this might be happening when using SW ret?

Best,
J

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:32 pm

That's quite strange.. Even with FW retract, the retract/prime movements are executed in the same way as it would do it with G1 codes. If you have an object were the problem happens repeatable at the same place, it would be very helpful if you could post the isolated gcode part where it happens (the retract +-5 code lines).
I will think about the problem, but to be honest I have no real idea at the moment.. It may have something todo with the seperate extruder ISR.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:13 am

I tried the firmware, and I really like the improved top surface finish. In the end, it was back to the LB default firmware due to the same issue with gaps or thinning of the layer after when extruding after the retraction. Turning off retraction resulted in great prints, but I started getting spider webs/hairs when moving over open spaces. I experimented with the retraction amount, and even .5mm left gaps in the side... I might give it one last try with .1mm retraction.

It may also be my extrusion temp of 245C... could probably get away wtih a few degrees lower for the ABS.

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:09 am

Kcchen, Sebastian-

Try using the firmware retraction and let me know your results. I found the same as you - using SW retraction, even set extremely low led to gaps.

I am including three files.

1-An STL of a test I made up
FirmwareTest.STL.zip
(139.33 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
2-gcode with Firmware retraction
FirmwareTestFWretGcode.txt
(512.06 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
3-gcode with Software retraction
FirmwareTestSWretGcode.txt
(525.09 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Using the advance firmware for both. K75, PLA. All the specs are in the headers of the gcode files.

Best,
J

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:41 am

I can reproduce your results. First 2.5mm of the walls are printed with FW retract, than I switched to SW retract in the same gcode file. That's realy, realy strange! I will have a look into the code..
20160621_183704.jpg

movingimage

Post by movingimage » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:30 am

I'm glad I was able to um 'help' :)