BETA: Cura LulzBot Edition v20 and Marlin v1.1.x for Mini

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
nickthetait
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

BETA: Cura LulzBot Edition v20 and Marlin v1.1.x for Mini

Post by nickthetait » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Cura v20.01
Major new features:
+ Printing via USB will report start, end, and duration print times
Print-time-statistics.png
+ Quickprint now has a category for experimental profiles
Experimental-Category.png
Experimental-Category.png (21.09 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Full release notes: https://code.alephobjects.com/w/cura/in ... ase-notes/
Download here: https://devel.lulzbot.com/software/Cura/Test/

Transition to Cura 2
From now on Aleph Objects will not add new features to this version of Cura. Instead we are transitioning to a new code base known as Cura 2. Read this forum post for more details: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4715

Marlin v1.1.0.8 for LulzBot Mini
The major new feature is one adopted from TAZ 6: automatic failed probe detection. This prevents damage to the PEI surface when a sufficient electrical contact with the probing washers could not be established.

Download here: https://devel.lulzbot.com/mini/Gladiola ... /firmware/

Edit: newer version for Marlin

Biolumo

Re: BETA: Cura LulzBot Edition v20 and Marlin v1.1.x for Mini

Post by Biolumo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:17 pm

nickthetait wrote:Cura v20.01

Marlin v1.1.0.4 for LulzBot Mini
The major new feature is one adopted from TAZ 6: automatic failed probe detection. This prevents damage to the PEI surface when a sufficient electrical contact with the probing washers could not be established.

Download here: https://devel.lulzbot.com/mini/Gladiola ... /firmware/
This is the feature i'm most excited about. I will test it starting now. I was always bewildered that AO included a non functional limit switch as the limit switch for the z-min was not functional at all, which i guess functionally was replaced by the nozzle touching the washers (but if that's the case then why wire up a useless limit switch at all? And why not program it to be a backup switch?). While this firmware change does not address that issue at least this software functionality should help prevent major catastrophic failures, so i'm excited about that.

Post by 1013 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Can we pause (and then re-start) prints to change material yet?

nickthetait
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by nickthetait » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Yes, pause/resume has been available since v18 (released in January of this year) https://code.alephobjects.com/w/cura/release-notes/#v18

ttabbal

Post by ttabbal » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:38 pm

1013 wrote:Can we pause (and then re-start) prints to change material yet?
That's supposed to work, but I didn't have much luck in Cura. I did get it to work with Octoprint. I was using Simplify3D to slice, but it should be possible with Cura as well. There was just more info available at the moment to do it with Simplify and I was in a bit of a hurry.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4876

Post by 1013 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:32 am

nickthetait wrote:Yes, pause/resume has been available since v18 (released in January of this year) https://code.alephobjects.com/w/cura/release-notes/#v18
I will check that out, I do not remember what version I have.
I know I tried to use the plugin that allows you to pause at level, and it paused for a second, then automatically restarted.

I was looking for an actual pause button on the print controller. I did not see it on the screenshot, but perhaps the "print" button changes to it.
Otherwise, is it just a G-code that is put in the right spot?

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:54 pm

I just wanted to report that the new mini firmware is awesome! Better bed leveling and just works out of the box! I didn't even need to adjust my z-offset at all. I like this newer firmware a lot!

and the new cura seems good as well. I haven't noticed any real change other than more filament options.

DougZ

Post by DougZ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Is it possible to update the Mini firmware but remain on the current release 19.12 Lulzbot Edition Cura version? Or, if you update the firmware you need to use the Beta Cura?
--
Lulzbot Mini
Lulzbot TAZ6
Follow me on Twitter! @tech3_design

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:50 am

DougZ wrote:Is it possible to update the Mini firmware but remain on the current release 19.12 Lulzbot Edition Cura version? Or, if you update the firmware you need to use the Beta Cura?
Yes. Firmware is independent of cura. Just download the beta firmware hex file and open any version of cura and use the upload custom firmware option or whatever it is called.

DougZ

Post by DougZ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 am

Biolumo wrote: Yes. Firmware is independent of cura. Just download the beta firmware hex file and open any version of cura and use the upload custom firmware option or whatever it is called.
Thanks. Because of your z-offset comment, after the firmware update, I did an M851 in the Cura window and it reported back a different offset than mine was previously. I have mine set at -1,23 in firmware and it reported -1.4(something). I set it back to -1.23 and saved it. Seems to be Ok. Wonder if it reset because I used the "install custome firmware' option in Cura?

Anyway, with the new firmware it seems the nozzle cleaning doesn't bury the nozzle as deep into the cleaning pad. Also the probing sequence seems faster.
--
Lulzbot Mini
Lulzbot TAZ6
Follow me on Twitter! @tech3_design