BETA: Cura LulzBot Edition v20 and Marlin v1.1.x for Mini

Look here for custom firmware, networked 3D printer hosts like OctoPrint, and more!
nickthetait
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: BETA: Cura LulzBot Edition v20 and Marlin v1.1.x for Mini

Post by nickthetait » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:46 pm

At this point Cura v20.01 is now released, get it from lulzbot.com/Cura
Testing continues for Marlin, please keep the feedback coming :)

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Anyone testing the new firmware and using octoprint experiencing an unusual high number of strange communication errors mid print leaving several unfinished prints because octoprint disconnected from the printer? I've had several within the last few days. The new firmware is highest on my suspect list, but there are other potential causes (ie. electrical). But i don't think i encountered this problem before. I mention it consider the other weird issues reported 3 comments ago.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:51 pm

I think the latest cura still has the recommendation to use PVA glue sticks for nylon based filaments. Since the PVA gluesticks are now a new formula and Lulzbot now recommends cheap washable gluesticks instead it probably should be changed within cura as well.

DougZ

Post by DougZ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:58 am

Biolumo wrote:
[snip...]

But yes, the arrows that move the z-axis seemed to not be responsive, but doing a home was responsive.
The issue for me seems seems to be Cura specific (inc the new version). I seem to be able to jog control from within Simplify3D, but in Cura the jog is not reliable.
--
Lulzbot Mini
Lulzbot TAZ6
Follow me on Twitter! @tech3_design

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am

DougZ wrote:
Biolumo wrote:
[snip...]

But yes, the arrows that move the z-axis seemed to not be responsive, but doing a home was responsive.
The issue for me seems seems to be Cura specific (inc the new version). I seem to be able to jog control from within Simplify3D, but in Cura the jog is not reliable.
The unresponsive issue seemed partially intermittent at the time, but i was not even using cura as i was using Octoprint. But since using the latest HEX file for the beta firmware the issue seems to have gone away completely. Not sure if that means they fixed a bug or what. But so far so good. Best case scenario is that everything will work perfectly now. Worst case scenario is that i just havn't tested it enough to notice those problems again yet. http://devel.lulzbot.com/mini/Gladiola/ ... cb655e.hex

DougZ

Post by DougZ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 am

Hmmm, OK, I'll try again with your link to the latest firmware. Something definitely seems off with my Mini. I was trying to calibrate my E-steps last night and could only submit one G1 E100 F40 command without having to restart the control window (and remember to set it to extrude temp). If I try to do it multiple times (after each one finishes) to average out the feed rate, it moves a fraction then nothing. Restart the Control window and all is well again, once.
--
Lulzbot Mini
Lulzbot TAZ6

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 pm

ScottW wrote:4. The rear bed probing locations are closer to the center of the washers (about Y=164), rather than at the edge (Y=157). The front washers are still probed near the edge, as with prior firmwares. No functional difference, just surprising the first time you see it.
I noticed this as well as my bed leveling washers has been at the edge since day one. With the new firmware i noticed that the rear ones had been greatly improved to be near the center, But i found it unlikely that the front ones would not have been accounted for, so i had a look at the latest y-axis rod mount for the back. And sure enough it has changed slightly to be a few mm shorter. This is enough to change the home position and thus change the bed leveling washer locations for the remaining two washers. So in this case a firmware upgrade AND a hardware upgrade are needed together.

http://devel.lulzbot.com/mini/Gladiola/ ... t_mini.stl

Soon i plan to print and upgrade to the new z-lower pieces as well.
Attachments
lower_z_left_1.6_custom.STL
My custom version of z-lower with all four motor holes and deeper holes for the frame screws.
(309.16 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

bam

Post by bam » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:26 am

DougZ wrote:Hmmm, OK, I'll try again with your link to the latest firmware. Something definitely seems off with my Mini. I was trying to calibrate my E-steps last night and could only submit one G1 E100 F40 command without having to restart the control window (and remember to set it to extrude temp). If I try to do it multiple times (after each one finishes) to average out the feed rate, it moves a fraction then nothing. Restart the Control window and all is well again, once.
I'm not sure if this is the issue, but make sure that you're resetting the extruder position back to 0 (M92 E0) between sending G1 extrude commands. By default the printer is in absolute coordinate mode meaning that it'll try to move to the position you send with a G1. If it's already at 100mm because you just extruded that much, it won't move when given another G1 E100 unless you manually set the extruder position back to 0. Alternately you can just put the printer into relative coordinate mode with G91 for the extrusion test and it will move 100mm every time you send a G1 E100. You can set it back to absolute coordinates with G90.

DougZ

Post by DougZ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:24 am

bam wrote: I'm not sure if this is the issue, but make sure that you're resetting the extruder position back to 0 (M92 E0) between sending G1 extrude commands. By default the printer is in absolute coordinate mode meaning that it'll try to move to the position you send with a G1. If it's already at 100mm because you just extruded that much, it won't move when given another G1 E100 unless you manually set the extruder position back to 0. Alternately you can just put the printer into relative coordinate mode with G91 for the extrusion test and it will move 100mm every time you send a G1 E100. You can set it back to absolute coordinates with G90.
Thanks bam, that is exactly the issue! I thought the "E100" parameter meant "Extrude 100mm of filament". I see it does just that, but, my thinking was that it was a reference to an amount, not a coordinate. Thus I figured I could just send the same command each time to extrude 100mm. None of the eSteps calibration instructions that I've seen reference the "M92 E0" to reset it. Makes sense and I just added that to my notes! I'm new to 3D printing but I learn more every day. I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't get into this technology sooner!

BTW, something I just thought of...if I send a "G1 E100 F50" command and it goes to that extruder coordinate, if I send the command again shouldn't it do nothing? I'm going to try it again tonight. I recall it moved a mm or so then stopped (meaning it should know it was already at coordinate 100 and the E shouldn't move at all.) Maybe it is just the nature of the electronics... (shrug). Anyways, thanks again!
--
Lulzbot Mini
Lulzbot TAZ6

kuzmenko
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by kuzmenko » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:32 am

eussrh wrote:Then endstops.h file seems to be missing from the Marlin directory. It won't compile.
Sorry about that, the endstops.cpp file should have been removed during an earlier revert. Arduino was trying to include it in the build process even though it wasn't needed. You should be good to build with the latest version of the Arduino IDE.

Just an FYI there is a makefile in the <marlin>/Marlin/ directory which you can use to build without needing Arduino, simply run make 8-) .

Check out the new firmware here (again): http://devel.lulzbot.com/mini/Gladiola/ ... /firmware/