Taz 6 + Filament Sentinel = Modified Firmware...

Hi All,

I bought a Filament Sentinel on Kickstarter because I print very large prints that tend to run out of filament. The instructions tell me that I need to make some firmware modifications:

Wiring

Check your board specification for the required pins
Determine your [DIGITAL PIN INPUT] pin number, it will be required for firmware configuration. For example, RAMPS uses D4 (Digital pin number 4) by default.
Connect the wires

Firmware Config
Legend: Remove Modify

Configuration.h
//#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR

Configuration_adv.h
//#define FILAMENT_CHANGE_FEATURE

Pins_[BOARD NAME].h
#define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN [DIGITAL PIN INPUT]

Please note!
If the above line isn’t present, simply add it

I don’t know how to do this in the slightest. If I asked a kind soul on the forum to help me out would anyone be willing to either make the mod for me or tell me how to do it?

I don’t even know where to begin.

Thanks!

Hey Mulanzo,

This subject is very important to me also. Matter of fact I just posted a thread on doing the same thing with Octoprint in another section of this forum. It’s miles easier to implement than using the sensor you brought.
If you dont have experience with compiling software, reading board schematics, modifying marlin, looking for available inputs on your ramps board, etc - it will be a tall order to explain in this thread.
Im not trying to discourage you from trying. You may need the ask the dev team to roll a new firmware to support this if you know nothing about marlin and Arduino IDE. I dont believe the current firmware is setup to take advantage of a filament sensor.

Also the current “change filament” feature in the Taz6’s lcd menu moves the print head away from the model but leaves the hotend on until you return. Which could be a while depending on how long your gone. I suppose they expected you to change filament right away and continue printing immediately. Not our case use. For our use case with octoprint or a dedicated filament sensor you’d want the hotend to cool down until your return. I have brought up this very concern in the development forums for new marlin Taz 6 firmware. Please express your desire as well for the feature.

Its definitely a must have feature.

Awesome great information nice idea.

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any updates on this or if anyone has tried to implement. As far as I know, Taz 6 now has the required Marlin firmware but wondering if anyone has actually implemented.

Thanks!

Creating a modified version of the firmware isn’t that difficult. You need to download the Arduino IDE and install it. Install GIT. Use GIT to get a copy of the current firmware. Add the LCD libraries to Arduino IDE (they are included in the GIT download). Edit the files and using the Arduino IDE, generate a new version of the firmware.

I believe the details have been documented in these forums.