Cura2 LulzBot Edition Beta Testers Needed!

Want to contribute to Free Software development? Advanced users are needed to test the new beta release of Cura2 LulzBot Edition! New features include an updated user interface, more slicing options in the Cura2 slicing engine, and better print quality than ever before.

Advanced users can help by using the new slicing profiles, trying out the new features, and testing your workflow in the new interface. More importantly, we’d love to hear your feedback!

New users are STRONGLY encouraged to use Cura(1) LulzBot Edition

Ready to get started? Visit LulzBot.com/Cura to download the Cura2 install packages for your operating system. The latest Cura2 Beta version will be listed there and announced in this thread.

Report any bugs or potential improvements here: Code.AlephObjects.com

Mac version??

Pete

The Mac OSX link worked fine for the Mac I just tried. ???

Tried out the Beta for our TAZ 6.
cura 2 error.PNG
Getting this missing DLL shown above.

Some say all Windows updates must be installed first before manually installing MS Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Others say no updates, or perhaps only specific ones are required. Will try to follow up if I can get it working.

Im trying the software out. I like the added options.

I would love if you guys added the ability to use the flexdually front extruder only. There are times when you only need to print a flexible model, this is not possible in old or new software. Say you need feet for the bottom of a model to keep it from moving or a gasket to make something air or water tight.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2119644
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1843635

Under the current setup if you have the dually activated in the software, you can only dual print two materials. For instance abs & ninjaflex.
In old software you could avoid this problem if you use a single filament profile and insert “T1” in the processed gcode. But you still need to make sure your using a pretty small model, because everything will be off by 50mm. (Serious limitation for bigger models)

For new Software please

1. add single extrusion of front extruder flexdually in software (T1 only not added)
  2. separate settings for both filaments (added)

If user only wants to print with front flex extruder, hide or grey out solid filament. Then after gcode is processed:
Heat up both extruders for wipe
Use back extruder for auto level calibration.
Cool down back extruder
Account for the offset of using the front extruder instead of back extruder in gcode.
Begin print.

Please dont ignor my 1st post above.

When using the flexdually in new software it assumes the nozzle size is 0.5. The flexdually’s are 0.6

Left hand side of the screen below scale and multiply options, you have print with extruder 1 or 2. I just tried putting everything to extruder 2 without an issue. Ill have to look over the gcode and make sure its right later. I do see the correct .6mm nozzle for tool 1 and .4 for tool 0.

The issue I have is the over constrained print area. Only the rear should be limited, not the front on the y axis. Both nozzles can reach over the entire front section. This cuts the build area down way too much.

Ive been trying for days to just export the sliced model and have gotten nowhere.
Im using the latest beta on Mac with Sierra 10.12.6. The software constantly hangs while slicing, wether i set it to auto slice or not. all exported files come out blank. no .gcode to check for errors. When I view the object and try to view layers and tool paths I just see a solid object. Everything in the program looks great and all the features look awesome, just wish more was working on my machine so I could test some prints.

I really dig how many options there are in this Beta version.

Things I really hope are available soon are:
USB Printing
Ability to print supports with dual extruders (PLA supports for Ninjaflex object)
Better view modes (I can only see the object core as a solid, and the shell. No tool path, layers, or supports yet)
Im loving the interface for adding filament profiles and all the options there.

Hope a working version of the beta is up soon. Even if it is only working enough to allow me to export gcode that would be fine with me.

I’ve been playing with ver 2.6.21. It does have the view models you seek, but they aren’t default. However easy as a pull down menu. What you seek is:
under view mode
select layers. (what u saw).
But then change color scheme from material color to line type
which shows:
extruder 1
extruder 2
show travels
shows helpers (support material)
show shell
show infill

I personally love how the outline of the model is grayed well viewing the layers.

But the octoprint integration is one of the new killer features.
You can:
Save and or print directly to your octoprint server without going to a browser.
Connect, Disconnect, pause, abort octoprint from within the Cura.
Preheat, extrude, control the printer via octoprint but without leaving app
View the octroprint cam directly in Cura without going to a web broswer.
Awesome sauce.

However sending console commands seems broken…

I’ve seen a couple people ask in this thread and others about using pla or abs as a support for flexible material in Cura. Seems everyone is having trouble getting it to work.
Anyway found this video on YouTube, he prints a dog with a pla core and bronzefill shell over the dog as the skin. I don’t see why those looking to do the same with pla core and ninjaflex couldn’t copy and adapt his technique.
https://youtu.be/b1Unrmf-JAg
Maybe someone could try it.

The video also shows Cura 2.6 can do custom supports but it’s not as easy as simplify3d.

I still cant get the darn thing to generate .gcode to print with the Legacy version. Keeps telling me to update my firmware because Ive switched nozzles, and the slicing generator just keeps slicing, never stops. Tried to submit bug reports on phabricator but thats like trying to fill out tax documents to become a nonprofit.

Sorry your having so many issues. It works fine for me.
My issue is quality. Profiles aren’t tuned for the flexdually 0.6 nozzle. So Im having to tweak settings to get quality prints, and supports that separate easier. I don’t mind doing it, I knew that going in, it’s a beta. The improvement in Cura is well worth it. It’s miles ahead of standard our current version.

Maybe try reinstalling. I did notice another version in lulzbots download section - 2.6.20 is now 2.6.21.

But all may be for not…Ultimaker put out Cura2.7

I downloaded and ran the latest version. Windows.
I selected Mini, and continue.
I got this message and canceled. I did not change the print head. Any ideas why this popped up, and how to proceed? It seems like a pretty stern warning.
Thanks!

If you did not change the tool head then just click the ‘Finish’ button. If you DID change the tool head then you would re-flash the firmware to that new tool head.

Large model. Crashed. Changing support overhang angles, while in view mode layers, by line type

Version: 2.6.21
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.15063
Qt: 5.7.1
PyQt: 5.7.1

Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\Bindings\MainWindow.py", line 184, in _render
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtRenderer.py", line 138, in render
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura2 2.6\plugins\LayerView\LayerPass.py", line 95, in render
    batch.render(self._scene.getActiveCamera())
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\RenderBatch.py", line 215, in render
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\RenderBatch.py", line 246, in _renderItem
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGL.py", line 210, in createVertexBuffer
MemoryError

-------------------------
Thread 0x00000704 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura2 2.6\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py", line 88 in _updateThread
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 862 in run
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 914 in _bootstrap_inner
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 882 in _bootstrap

Thread 0x000033e0 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 293 in wait
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 424 in acquire
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 86 in _nextJob
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 116 in run

Thread 0x0000041c (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 86 in _nextJob
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 116 in run

Thread 0x00000e88 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00000f8c (most recent call first):

Thread 0x000038e0 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00000484 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00002814 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00001840 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00000c54 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 297 in wait
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1569 in wait
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1153 in run

Thread 0x00001a18 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1569 in wait
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1017 in run

Thread 0x00003e38 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 946 in run

Thread 0x00002de8 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura2 2.6\plugins\RemovableDriveOutputDevice\RemovableDrivePlugin.py", line 58 in _updateThread
  File "C:\Python352\lib\threading.py", line 862 in run

Thread 0x0000173c (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1153 in run

Thread 0x000035ec (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 1017 in run

Thread 0x00003048 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\zeroconf.py", line 946 in run

Thread 0x000022c0 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00002744 (most recent call first):

Current thread 0x00003538 (most recent call first):
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 99 in show
  File "C:/buildbot/win-slave1/Cura2-windows/build/build/inst/bin/cura_app.py", line 44 in exceptHook
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\Bindings\MainWindow.py", line 195 in event
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\Bindings\MainWindow.py", line 195 in event
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 717 in run
  File "C:/buildbot/win-slave1/Cura2-windows/build/build/inst/bin/cura_app.py", line 70 in <module>
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 26 in run
  File "C:\buildbot\win-slave1\Cura2-windows\build\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 14 in run

robot_maker_faire_150pc.stl (4.76 MB)

Game of Thrones - The Iron Thrown
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2134970/#files

Model failed to Load. (Cura 2.6.21)

Never seen that error before.
Prusa slic3er edition loaded it, and sliced it.

Simplify3d loaded it, and sliced it.

Cura 21.04 took a while to load and render the model. While also taking a full 5 mins to compute gcode for any single change. So while being barely able to load the .stl its completely unusable for making print parameter changes.

Cura 21.6.29 can load the game of the thrones, throne in post above. :smiley:

However I’ve found a problem with changing profiles.
Have your 3 profiles - High detail, High speed and Standard. For me its stuck on High detail 0.18mm. I can not choose a different profile and have to layer height be reflected by different choice. The layer height remains on 0.18mm for high detail, no matter which profile I try to choose.

How does one split a grouped model into separate pieces with this version?

In Cura 21.04 called its “Split object into parts”

Its a super useful tool for when a designer has grouped a bunch models together but you only need 1 part printed. Or maybe 1 or 2 of the grouped items isn’t touching the build plate like in the .stl i’ll post. This model is the dragons tail and waist from thingiverse, its very popular and challenging to print. (Turn on the brim and view layer lines in cura 21.04. You’ll see all models in group do not touch build plate)
Cura 2.6.29 seems to be adjusting each model in the group to the build plate automatically, although I haven’t verified with a print. I still would like to be able to separate parts of a whole.

In Cura 21.04 I had to:
I had to split the neck group into several smaller groups.
Pieces that touched build plate as designed - delete others
Pieces that needed to be moved down by .5mm - delete others
Pieces that needed to be moved down by 1mm - delete others.

Credit my wife who did the painting.
tail_15_pieces_and_waist_ball.stl (10.7 MB)

Cura 2.6.30

Manage materials:
For instance Polylite PLA
each materials has its own settings:
Density
Diameter
Cost
Default printing temp 200c
build plate temp 60c
retraction speed 25 mm/s
retraction distance 6.50 mm

In print settings under materials sections
the values for the material you’ve selected are not matching up
retraction speed 10 mm/s
retraction distance 1.75mm

Which value is the software actually using? Shouldn’t the values in material manger be reflected in print settings material

In old cura polylite pla
retraction speed 10 mm/s
retraction distance 1.75 mm

I noticed that all retraction distances in Cura 2.6.30 are the same in material manager