Differences in machine settings don't show in control window

Hey everyone.

I have a somewhat unique problem that I hope will help clarify some basic concepts of the Cura software. I’ve been doing some experimentation with homemade filaments that aren’t your common PLA or ABS. The filament is pretty soft so I ended up having to design my own extrusion head (even the Flexystruder was too aggressive).

The new extruder head works well but the problem I’m having is with the settings in Cura. I’ve gone and added a new tool head (Machine>Add New Machine) and gone through the calibration method to determine and change the esteps (https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/fine-tune-mini-extruder/calibration/). However, the new tool head doesn’t extrude fast enough. I’ve tried playing around with the print setting (print speed, flow, fill, etc…) but nothing works. The weird thing is if I select the stock tool head it extrudes just fine.

So my question is, when you change tool heads what exactly is changing in Cura (aside from the dimensional properties of the tool head like the width, height, depth, etc…)? Is it just the esteps?

When using the M501 command in the Control Window it shows each tool head has the same esteps even though in the Machine Settings they have different esteps. I’ve noticed this same issue of conflicting reported esteps when switching between the standard tool head and the Flexystruder tool head. I just want to know what is going on so I can fine tune this new extrusion head.

Here are my setup specifications:
Taz 5
Cura v21.02

Thanks!

Update the esteps through your Graphical LCD Controller under the Configuration menu: https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/firmware-flashing-through-cura#esteps

Avoid storing the esteps in your slicing software. Storing your steps per unit in the firmware is preferred for portability.

Note: Cura LulzBot Edition v21.02 is rather outdated, unless you absolutely need to use that we recommend updating to the latest firmware included in Cura LulzBot Edition.

The slicing profiles in Cura LE will set your speeds & feeds, and will operate under the presumption that your tool head has calibrated extruder steps per unit. The speeds will vary based on material characteristics. Generally the flexible profiles like NinjaFlex will use slower speeds.

We’d love to see your extruder design!