HIPS temp suggestions

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
johnsonarcher

Re: HIPS temp suggestions

Post by johnsonarcher » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:30 am

rufu5 wrote:230c for your noz, 85c for your bed.

Here are recommended temps and configurations for a bunch of different materials:

https://www.lulzbot.com/support/taz-slic3r-profiles

I'm pretty new to 3D printing, and I just got my Lulzbot Mini last week, but why are the temps so different for HIPS between the Taz 1-4 and the Taz 5 profiles?

Mhbradner

Post by Mhbradner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:38 am

If I'm not mistaken the difference in the temp profiles between the TAZ 1-4, and the TAZ 5 is because the TAZ 5 has a PEI bed covering as opposed to a PET covering for other models. The Mini also has a PEI bed covering.

Mark -
TAZ5

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Different hotends also. The TAZ5 and Mini have all metal hotends. The TAZ4 had a ceramic nozzle.

JLC_Designs

Post by JLC_Designs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:41 am

MMcGuire wrote:...Do you have any issues drooping at 250? I feel the higher temp would cause more issues...
Sorry for the delay in my reply! I've been tunnel visioned in making my printer cabinet....

I haven't had any drooping issues that I'm aware of, but I try to design my parts to prevent that if possible. I did print the CTRL-V test part a few times. Once I understood what it was and what it was doing to my Taz, I did a comparison between CURA and Slic3r using the settings listed below. Here are the results of the 2 parts side by side, the CURA part is on the left, the Slic3r part is on the right. The parts were printed with the overhang facing the fan (machine X+). I'll put the print specifics right after the pictures.
CTRL-V_Test_1.JPG
CTRL-V_Test_2.JPG
CTRL-V_Test_3.JPG
CTRL-V_Test_4.JPG
In CURA, I used the same settings I had listed previously -
Extruder at 252°
Bed at 95°
Print speed 50mm/sec
Layer height .2
Shell thickness .7
Filament Dia. 2.91 (calipered)
Flow 103%

In Slic3r, I had used the profile HERE provided by Lulzbot for the Taz 5.

I have to be honest, and say that I'm really not impressed with either of these at all. I've made a few other parts from HIPS, but when I want detail or corners, I end up going to PLA. I haven't tried out ABS yet (Still finishing up my printing cabinet), but that's on the list soon!

I'd like to add that the busts and trees that you're attempting are pretty awesome! Those sorts of things intimidate me.... Until I REALLY understand how to keep my printer happy, I don't dare try something like those. I still have "newbie fever" :)
Yeah. So wiping the bed with acetone while it's still at 110°c is a BAD IDEA mmmkay...

paulmorley

Post by paulmorley » Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 pm

I have to agree with MMcGuire. I'm amazed you don't have any ill effects of running the hotend at 250. 10 above recommended seems like alot. Is there a reason you went so much higher than the recommended 240? I print at 230 on a TAZ4 and don't seem to have any issues.