Igus Tribo Filament

I got a few rolls of Igus Tribo filament for free recently and decided to try it out. The paperwork says it is similar to ABS. When I changed filaments (from HIPS) and tried extruding it, the Tribo would get all backed up and squirt out the sides of the feeder. It looked like it never got into the hot end, which is weird since it is half the diameter of HIPS.

Anyone ever use this stuff before and have some suggestions on how to get it to work?

I think the Igus filament samples only come in 1.75mm diameter. Are you trying to feed that through the extruder?

I used digital calipers to get 1.89.

I did try to put it through the extruder.

Yes, undersized filament. You would need to modify the extruder to handle it. Lulzbot hasn’t carried that part in a bit, but Adafruit wrote up the procedure at http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/07/24/lulzbot3d-taz4-1-75-filament-upgrade-3dthursday/. I’ll be very curious to see what you think of the filament.

To be clear, The Taz uses 3mm filament and cannot use 1.75mm filament without being modified.

As you have discovered, if you try and use the 1.75mm filament, it will simply melt and come out the top.

In order to be able to use the filament you have, you will need to make modifications to the hot end as described in the link that WayTooManyHobbies referenced. Basically, you will be replacing the stock PTFE tube with a tube with a smaller 2mm inside diameter.