HIPS Acetone Smoothing Spots

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
ekunzendorf

HIPS Acetone Smoothing Spots

Post by ekunzendorf » Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello All!

I printed out a character in HIPS the other day. Yesterday I experimented with acetone smoothing, and I can absolutely verify that HIPS smooths BEAUTIFULLY and quickly in acetone vapor. It actually begins to smooth as soon as you put it in the vapors. It is much faster than ABS.

BUT as the picture I uploaded shows, after the print "dried" it developed these odd little spots all over it. They did not appear until well after the print felt dry (it actually felt dry minutes after removing it from the acetone bath). I am using HIPS I got from Lulzbot/Aleph, and it is the gray filament. It looks like the pigment is separating somehow.

The natural colored ABS I smoothed at the same time did not develop these spots.

Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

Excelsior!
Eric Kunzendorf
Jacksonville University
Attachments
Front.jpg
You can see the spots under the neck and in the chest and head

do-it-for-science-

Re: HIPS Acetone Smoothing Spots

Post by do-it-for-science- » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:39 pm

I have never tried smoothing HIPS with acetone, but I know that Lemonine works great!
open source, open heart,

Jeff Hunt,
Renewable Energy Engineering student OIT

cantieny

Post by cantieny » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 am

This thread is a little older but I will try to revive it.

I tried to smooth HIPS with acetone (nail polish remover). It did not do anything to smooth it. I thought I might not be getting enough acetone on the part so I tried with a paint brush. The acetone did not appear to have any affect on the HIPS. I did everything short of soaking the part in the nail polish remover and it did not soften.

Is there some secret I don't know about?

Thanks,
Chuck

do-it-for-science-

Post by do-it-for-science- » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 am

From waht I have experienced acetone does not work with HIPS, however for something like $11.00 you can get lemonine delivered to your front door and smooth HIPS to your hearts content.

MG Chemicals d-Limonene (Pure Grade) 3-D Printing Chemical, 32 fl oz Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RBO75ZQ/re ... HvbPSQJBKT
open source, open heart,

Jeff Hunt,
Renewable Energy Engineering student OIT

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMPhiE_gJ8

It sounds like PERC/Tetrachloroethylene is an alternative.

dchincom

Post by dchincom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Anyone try that TETRACHLOROETHYLENE material from that video? The video is pretty vague, so I don't even know where to buy it, or if it's even safe.

ttabbal

Post by ttabbal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:03 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachloroethylene

If you're going to use it, use gloves.

If I were going to use a solvent for HIPS, I think I'd prefer Limonene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

dchincom

Post by dchincom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 am

Wow, that stuff sounds quite toxic... Maybe I'll just stick with sandpaper and limonene. :shock:

ttabbal

Post by ttabbal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am

MSDS can make anything look horrible, but in this case it doesn't look like something I'd want to have my hands in or have around the house in general. HIPS sands pretty well, and Limonene/Acetone is positively tame compared to that stuff.

It sounds like some HIPS reacts to acetone, some doesn't. Seems odd, but that's what people report. I wonder if you need the hardware store acetone? Perhaps nail polish remover isn't as concentrated? I know it's available as a non-acetone type as well, it would be kind of funny if people having issues got that type.

gghouck

Post by gghouck » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:53 pm

ttabbal wrote:MSDS can make anything look horrible, but in this case it doesn't look like something I'd want to have my hands in or have around the house in general. HIPS sands pretty well, and Limonene/Acetone is positively tame compared to that stuff.

It sounds like some HIPS reacts to acetone, some doesn't. Seems odd, but that's what people report. I wonder if you need the hardware store acetone? Perhaps nail polish remover isn't as concentrated? I know it's available as a non-acetone type as well, it would be kind of funny if people having issues got that type.
I'm surprised how many people suggest Limonene, its MSDS makes it look quite a bit worse than Acetone or Tetrachloroethylene.