Cura profile for PETG?

I found a great, detailed thread here on PETG. But now I’m wondering if anyone has a Cura profile for PETG?

You can use mine from the attachment. Basicaly, I’m printing PETG with the same settings as PLA, except that cooling is turned off. Don’t forget to adjust your filament diameter.
PETG.ini (11.1 KB)

Thank you!

I see that you specify filament diameter=2.73.
And I recall reading somewhere in all my research that filament diameter for some filaments sometimes should be specified as less than the actual 3 mm. Do you have a recommendation for eSun ordinary colored PETG on a TAZ5?

Always enter the real diameter, measure it on multiple points on the filament with a caliper. I don’t use esun petg,so i habe no values for it.

Thanks! Will do.

Tim

How were the results?

Sorry… I have not tried that yet. I’m still doing prototyping with PLA, and that’s going well. I’ll load the PETG when everything is nailed down.

Tim

So, I’ll chime in. I have been printing PETG for a couple of weeks, and had a hard time. Yes, the filament diameter is very important (so you don’t over extrude and get blow outs on your corners), but I found that in an ambient room temp of 69 deg., I needed to set the fan to 75% for layers past the first 1mm. Otherwise, I ran into all kinds of delam. and gunk buildup. Once I dialed in the fan, I have been printing one successful print after another. (oh, bed temp @ 80 deg)

Just keep that in mind if you find your prints are glopping up in the infill or printing a bunch of skips / delaminated layers.

Also, watch you infill %. If you are printing low infill, you may get glopping (is that a technical term?). I had to up my infill from 20% to 40% to clear it up.

I’m not saying this is the “Right” answer, just saying this is what is working for me.

NOTE: I am using Solid White filament. That might effect some settings as I’ve read that White is a bit of a PITA

Greetings! Using a combination of settings I’ve seen here on this forum I’ve created my own esun PetG profile that works pretty well as you can see by the #3DBenchy boat I posted above. I’ve attached my profile if anyone would like to try it.
PETG_profile.ini (12.9 KB)

When I tried printing PETG with fan on, the part seperated into single layers as soon as I applied light force on it. Do you have good layer bonding on your benchy, what happens if you pull a little bit on the roof?
If yours is well with fan, I have to change to esun PETG :slight_smile:

I had issues at first but after tweaking my settings I’ve not seen any delamination.

Just wanted to share another picture showing each color of esun PetG I’ve printed using my attached profile. No delamination and prints have been spot on.

Hello, I tried PETG and it was really hard to remove parts, they were too much sticked to the bed. The bed was at 50° C. Did you have same problem ?

I went through a spool of eSun PETG (solid White). I found I needed to run the fan at around 70% to get good prints. Getting them off the PEI was never challenging.

Have you checked your first layer to make sure you aren’t smooshing it into the bed? Check fist layer height in Cura against actual. Should match +/- .02mm

Thats the important thing. Of course this should always be set correctly also with PLA, ABS etc. but PETG sticks very well so it’s even more important to set the z-offset very carefully.

KingJamie,

My spool of eSUN PETG (black) arrived today. I downloaded your PETG ini file. Loaded the PETG and hit print without making any other further adjustments. I was printing a 40mmx40mm cube and it came out 99% perfect. The only imperfection was a slight corner lift on one of the corners, but I’ve been battling that issue since day one, so it’s not your file setup.

I sanded down my PEI film and just kicked off a large (fairly detailed) print. So we’ll see how it turns out.

Thanks for sharing!

You’re most welcome. When your machine is auto leveling do you see any flexing or do you think that your pei is just off a bit?

Do you mean when the extruder touches the 4 corner washers? If so, then yes. It does seem to flex some on the initial contact before the slow contact. Is that normal?

That’s an indication that your nozzle and/or the washer in question is dirty. It’s not getting an electrical connection until the nozzle “punches through” whatever crud is in the way. I’ve heard with some types of filaments, you can get a film on there that you can’t really see. Try giving the the nozzle and washers a good cleaning (perhaps with a solvent appropriate for the filament you have been using??)

Be careful what you’re putting on the nozzle. Make sure your felt pad is clean. You can preheat your extruder then use a Cotten towel to clean the nozzle off before starting the print process.