Rigid filament for very thin parts

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
piercet

Re: Rigid filament for very thin parts

Post by piercet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Mold making is certanly fun, and you can do an endless variety of things with it!

In the situation wher eyou have an air vent that is too small, you can use a hobby knife to cut away more of the mold ( a V profile cut works well). The silicone carves pretty easily with a little practice. Just run the knife outside the too small air vent on either side, should be plenty big then.

I've played with a fairly large variety of plastics, some metals (pewter, Tin, etc) as well as various clear plastics. The tricky part with the clear plastics is getting all the bubbles out of the plastic. The strength, if you use the right hardner and don't get one of the "gummy gel plastics" is generally quite strong. Most of them are Acrylic or Epoxy based so they harden well. You almost are required to vaccume pot them though or you will never get the bubbles out. If you do that, they are generally quite strong with decent impact and sheer strength. Some of the clear resins are actually stronger than some of the opaque ones.

The conditions you do a casting in have a huge impact on final part strength. Too cold or too hot a day can make for soupy or brittle parts, adding powders or dyes to a resin can change the look dramaitcally, but can lead to a weaker part. Vacuum potting usually makes for a much stronger part.

mikronano

Post by mikronano » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm probably way off the direction this topic has come to, but, trying to answer to the original subject let me say this:
I have worked with BluPrint from Taulman3D and I must say that is quite stiff and brittle, much like PLA, very clear and most importantly comes with a Tg of 110C. So, it'll be safe even in a car left at Sahara!
It is a bit difficult to print due to the high extrusion temps (nozzle@260, bed@110) and the glue stick for the PEI, but I really think you can do what you want.
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit

C_Duncan

Post by C_Duncan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

I would just send it to shapeways after picking your metal of choice. I'm opportunistically and selectively lazy sometimes.

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:23 pm

I recieved a complete original needle today to use as a comparison. There is actually a lot of flex in it, about as much as I'm getting with the ABS used on a .3mm nozzle. Strength wise im now satisfied a 3D printed part will suffice. I now just need to test temperature, locked in a car I figure the max they're ever going to see anywhere in the world is 80•C (more likely to be between 50-60 at the very most). I'm not sure how I'm going to test their performance in a heated environment yet.

I've asked for a load of samples of clear filament for the clear one. Bluprint, T-Lyne, HD Glass, Polycarbonate, XT-Copolysester, some others too. I think I already know it's going to be one of two but I like trying out new filaments and they all hve their unique properties so I thought I'd give them all a go.

Is there a properly stiff solid white (or other colour) filament? Aside from PLA.

piercet

Post by piercet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Some people line that Tauman N-vent filament, I haven't tried it myself since I generally have really good luck with ABS. It's supposedly higher temperature and stronger than PLA.

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed May 11, 2016 8:34 am

Just having a go with the bluprint sample. This first attempt printing with my .5mm nozzle at 0.04 layer height, 10mm/s (all speeds), 100% fill at 270•C isn't quite clear enough, lots of white looking lines between each thread of plastic. Maybe some advance in speed or possibly temp will help clear it up?

But wow, is this stuff easy to print with! Quite happy to go straight on to the PEI at 90•C at such low layer height with a .5mm nozzle. No stringing, no horrible blobs. I think I've fallen in love :lol: