Filament Testing Notes

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
Rmatz

Re: Filament Testing Notes

Post by Rmatz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Brent, I noticed that there is no entry for Proto-Pasta's PC-ABS. I've been using it on a project where I need as much high temperature performance as I can get and have been fairly happy with this. I would like to see results of your testing and experience with it.

miracj

Post by miracj » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:38 am

Brent.I wrote:As a note, Carbon Fiber and other filled filaments may damage your hot end. Be sure to check with filament manufacturers recommendations/warnings before running through your hot end.
Can you be more specific to the potential damage? Are we just talking about the nozzle itself, or are other parts subject to damage?

Also, what speed is the additional damage/wear? If we do one or 2 print jobs, is that an issue, or are we talking about spools of filament before damage occurs?

Thanks!

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 am

miracj wrote:Can you be more specific to the potential damage?
From our experience with Carbon Fiber filled filaments, it will destroy your nozzle in less than 1kg of filament. This will eat away at your nozzle, causing a larger and oblong orifice. (This makes it near impossible to get clean prints due to the gcode generation) The risk you run when swapping out nozzles is breaking thermistor/heater cartridge, and breaking the seal within the heat block. You can do this, but once you swap out nozzles your hot end will no longer be covered under warranty.

Rmatz wrote:Brent, I noticed that there is no entry for Proto-Pasta's PC-ABS. I've been using it on a project where I need as much high temperature performance as I can get and have been fairly happy with this. I would like to see results of your testing and experience with it.
Unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to play with it myself. Our resident filament guru in R&D is out atm on vacation, but once he comes back I will see where he has the filament notes stashed. (Sorry about that!)

altertalk

Post by altertalk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 am

In my search for other manufacturers of ABS, I came across Sun Top (http://www.3d-filament.com.tw/175mm-ABS-Filament.html) which appears to be a company from Taiwan. They have both 1.75mm and 3mm ABS filament. While they claim to provide quality filaments, they are not on the Lulzbot lists. Are there any other companies that do quality analysis checks like Lulzbot?

bfeist

Post by bfeist » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm