Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
bam

Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Post by bam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am

While none of them are technically 'rubber', there are a number of flexible filaments available for 3D printers. We've just developed a new extruder that will let you print with even the springiest filaments.

Though this extruder is still in the early testing phase, you can follow along and try it out yourself. Everything you need to get started is at http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/accessories/flexystruder/, including freeCAD source files and images of the extruder and FilaFlex material (including turning a spiral vase completely inside out!).

Here's a great write-up on printing with various types of flexible filament:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,269 ... msg-269018

Enjoy!
-bam
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
The de-lamination below the eyes is from a botched hot swap, the stuff actually adheres very well
IMG_2427.jpg
Last edited by Brent.I on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: unstickying

piercet

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Post by piercet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Cool! Can you print standard ABS with the same extruder? Or will you want to swap out for ABS and whatnot?

bam

Post by bam » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 am

piercet wrote:Cool! Can you print standard ABS with the same extruder? Or will you want to swap out for ABS and whatnot?
We've printed with ABS with this nozzle using our production g-code (pretty quick) for about 6 hours so far with no issues, so things are looking good for it. I'll keep posting as I try it with different materials.
Flexystruder_ABS.JPG
the flexystruder printing away with some slick turquoise ABS
-bam

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:05 pm

This material is awesome, by the way. It is very strong & flexible, even walls printed one extrusion width wide.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Here is a slightly cleaned up version of the STL. That odd gap in the top surface was annoying my editing software.
Attachments
Part2.stl
(241.49 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

mbruner63

Post by mbruner63 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 am

This looks very exciting. I printed the extruder yesterday. Do we have a complete BOM yet? I noticed there is a screw on the side that I don't think I have (I am running a TAZ 1). Are you guys going to sell the filament?

Thanks,

Marty

bam

Post by bam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks Piercet :) I'm working on a cleaned up redesign now with access to the hobbed bolt, so look for that later today/tomorrow (I'm calling it version 0.2)
mbruner63 wrote:This looks very exciting. I printed the extruder yesterday. Do we have a complete BOM yet? I noticed there is a screw on the side that I don't think I have (I am running a TAZ 1). Are you guys going to sell the filament?

Thanks,

Marty
The BOM is now up on http://devel.lulzbot.com/filament/therm ... ruder-0.1/, along with some pictures that should help assembly. The screw on the side is an M3x12, though most sizes longer than 10mm should work, it's threading into an M3 heatset insert. We're currently looking into US suppliers of the thermoplastic urethane (filaflex/ninjaflex), and are working with Village Plastics (our main supplier) to bring on some rubberized PLA.

BTW thermoplastic urethane will hotswap and bonds to ABS very well :)

Hope this helps
-bam

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00 pm

You're welcome! I'll make a quick fit variant of 0.2 once you release it and test it out on my rig later on this weekend when I get a chance. I still have a whole bag of heat set inserts left from the ao-taz X end project heh.

Do you find you need to smooth the end of the M3 screw to prevent it from scoring the filliament?

mbruner63

Post by mbruner63 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Things are starting to get clearer for me :D

Is there any way we could get a photo of the other side of the extruder? There are just a couple of more things I'm confused about. Please pardon my ignorance..

Marty

mbruner63

Post by mbruner63 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

While in the middle of printing version 0.2, I noticed that this part does not have the same two holes in the bottom for attaching the hot end. Is this by design or did I just get a bad version?

I also noticed that the hole for the m3 machine screw on the side doesn't go completely through to where the filament is fed (which is different than the first version).

Thanks,

Marty