Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Contact:

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 am

Here's a quickfit compatable variant of 0.2, which still needs the mounting holes for the Schnozzle itself. This should fit any of the standard quickfit compatable X carriages out there.
Attachments
Flexystruder_0.2_quickfit.stl
(232.21 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Flexystruder_0.2_quickfit.dwg
(815.69 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Flexystruder_0.2_mod_quickfit.stp
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 43 times

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Contact:

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:55 am

mbruner63 wrote:While in the middle of printing version 0.2, I noticed that this part does not have the same two holes in the bottom for attaching the hot end. Is this by design or did I just get a bad version?

I also noticed that the hole for the m3 machine screw on the side doesn't go completely through to where the filament is fed (which is different than the first version).

Thanks,

Marty
I think the bottom mounting holes are just missing at the moment.. they can be drilled in after the fact for now easily enough without impairing structure. The other side hole i'm thinking is deliberatly filled in to give that side hole better dimensional stability while printing, but that's just a guess. That is the reason i didn't open it back up on the quickfit one. I'll add the mounting screw locations to the quickfit one later. but I suck at drawing hexagon nut traps heh.

mbruner63
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby mbruner63 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 am

We modified 0.2 to place two holes at the bottom for the hot end. In addition, we extended the hole for the set screw. We use Solidworks here so hopefully the translations went ok.

Marty
Attachments
flexystruder_0.2a.stl
(190.61 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
flexystruder_0.2a.fcstd
(185.26 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

mbruner63
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby mbruner63 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 am

piercet wrote: I think the bottom mounting holes are just missing at the moment.. they can be drilled in after the fact for now easily enough without impairing structure. The other side hole i'm thinking is deliberatly filled in to give that side hole better dimensional stability while printing, but that's just a guess. That is the reason i didn't open it back up on the quickfit one. I'll add the mounting screw locations to the quickfit one later. but I suck at drawing hexagon nut traps heh.

That makes sense. We are pretty new to modifying our printer. We have a new product that will need to use a flexible material.

In all fairness, my son does all of the mechanical design. I can barely make a square block!

bam
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby bam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am

mbruner63 wrote:
piercet wrote: I think the bottom mounting holes are just missing at the moment.. they can be drilled in after the fact for now easily enough without impairing structure. The other side hole i'm thinking is deliberatly filled in to give that side hole better dimensional stability while printing, but that's just a guess. That is the reason i didn't open it back up on the quickfit one. I'll add the mounting screw locations to the quickfit one later. but I suck at drawing hexagon nut traps heh.

That makes sense. We are pretty new to modifying our printer. We have a new product that will need to use a flexible material.

In all fairness, my son does all of the mechanical design. I can barely make a square block!
Hey guys, sorry for the unfinished design, I got bogged down trying to find the correct spacing between the center of the filament hole and hobbed bolt. I'll have a corrected model out soon :)

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Contact:

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:08 am

No worries, it's still in beta test, so some final assembly is not a problem!

Kind of extruder related, but not really, have you guys ever considered releasing a dual budaschnozzle plate with 2 nozzles instead of one for a dual extruder setup? The reason I mention it here is this particular extruder and it's narrower footprint would be pretty easy to set up as a dual extruder I would bet.

bam
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby bam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 am

piercet wrote:No worries, it's still in beta test, so some final assembly is not a problem!

Kind of extruder related, but not really, have you guys ever considered releasing a dual budaschnozzle plate with 2 nozzles instead of one for a dual extruder setup? The reason I mention it here is this particular extruder and it's narrower footprint would be pretty easy to set up as a dual extruder I would bet.
You're on to us :). We're hoping to use these to get tighter packing and lower weight on the dual extruder (it should also lend itself to a superlight single extruder for more control at higher speeds). For now we're keeping the Budashnozzles separate and unmodified so we can have simple height adjustment of each nozzle (keeping in mind that the nozzles need to be within ~50-100um of each-other in Z).

Anyway, for an update on the flexystruder:
Version 0.1 is the latest stable release, with ~18 hours of testing. We've verified that it prints flexible PLA, thermoplastic urethane (FilaFlex, NinjaFlex, etc) as well as standard ABS and PLA.

Version 0.2 was abandoned in favor of a complete redraw in freeCAD

Version 0.3 (aka flexystruder-slim) is lightened, and allows access to the hobbed bolt in the event of a strip. This version has yet to be tested.

Future Modifications:
Test with a 20mm deep NEMA17 stepper motor (~1/3 the weight of our standard motor)
Optimize the filament path to allow reliable printing without need for setscrew adjustment
improve setscrew adjustment if needed
optimize slic3r config for production

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Contact:

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

bam wrote:
You're on to us :). We're hoping to use these to get tighter packing and lower weight on the dual extruder (it should also lend itself to a superlight single extruder for more control at higher speeds). For now we're keeping the Budashnozzles separate and unmodified so we can have simple height adjustment of each nozzle (keeping in mind that the nozzles need to be within ~50-100um of each-other in Z).
That makes sense. I was thinking that having both nozzles in a fixed plate would make it easier to get them both factory set to the same height, but then I got to thinking that the differences in the nozzle threads themselves, etc might make that problematic.

The one big advantage the Budaschnozzle has over the J-heads is the stability of that mounting plate. Unfortunately for dual extruder setups, the one major advantage the J type mounting heads have is they take up less space. There has to be some way to make a square schnozzle plate work though and still allow adjustment.

mbruner63
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby mbruner63 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm

I noticed that the gcode was generated for 0.5mm nozzles. I have a 0.35mm nozzle so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for layer sizes to print this extruder? I had some issues attempting to print using .3mm layers.
Attachments
extruder.jpg

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Contact:

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Quickfit variant of .3 . Let me know if you want the design files and whatnot.
Attachments
Flexystruder_0.3_mod_quickfit.stl
(277.52 KiB) Downloaded 70 times


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests