Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
bam

Re: Print with rubber on your Lulzbot!

Post by bam » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 pm

piercet wrote:Nice job! I like the improved threaded fitting on the side. Good job! One possible addition to the bill of materials: a press fit thumb screw cap fitting for the M5 bolt?

I'll update the belt design sometime in here. assuming I ever see my belt parts haha.
Thanks! The M5 makes it a much more solid unit, definitely a worthwhile change. I'll give that a shot tomorrow, I've been toying with the idea of a printed lever style cap that would prevent overtightening, but this would certainly improve it in the mean time.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:35 pm

According to tracking, I should finally see the belts and pulleys for mine today or tomorrow. I just realized that for V5 i'll also need to find some PTFE tubing. Where does one typically find PTFE tubing? any ideas ona local source, or is that a Mcmaster carr type item?

a V5 belt quickfit is in progress, will toss the STL up when its done.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm

We get PTFE tubing from McMaster frequently.

We have printed maybe 10-20 "rubber" parts so far. This material is *very* strong. The parts are turning out very well. This is going to be a hugely useful material for people to use.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Belts and pulley set arrived! I've also ordered the rest of the parts which should get here soon. For the PTFE tube, I ordered the white colored "Shapes Made with Teflon® PTFE" stuff off this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe- ... ng/=pxbk5v

is that the right PTFE tube, or did I really want the Delrin filled or glass reinforced stuff?

bam

Post by bam » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:21 pm

piercet wrote:Belts and pulley set arrived! I've also ordered the rest of the parts which should get here soon. For the PTFE tube, I ordered the white colored "Shapes Made with Teflon® PTFE" stuff off this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe- ... ng/=pxbk5v

is that the right PTFE tube, or did I really want the Delrin filled or glass reinforced stuff?
Awesome! We use the regular teflon for this, though either should work. I'm excited to see what you can do with it. Do you have any materials in mind to try out?

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:31 pm

I have a roll of Nylon to try out with it, and i'm thinking of ordering some of that ninjaflex stuff if I can find it under $120 anywhere. I definitly want to try some of the printble urathane though too, That would be very useful for making integrated vibration isolation mounts / pads. I also might see if I can make a 3d printed linear rail cover. that would be kind of an iffy prospect at best, but given the cost and availability of them, if it worked and held up it would be something that would be very useful and save me some money on other projects.

If the belt works out the way I think it will, I'll probably also make a more traditional wades style belt mount for ABS, as the two existing ones lack a belt tensioner. That will be the next project after I get done with the top deck plate and linear Z rail projects I think. Those are getting to the point where finishing won't take long. I just haven't had downtime to tear the machine apart again and start installing the new bits due to holliday printing

motominded

Post by motominded » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Seeing all the speaker prints lately, this is inspiring some ideas.
President: MotoMinded LLC
AO-100
2 TAZ3's
1 TAZ4

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:44 pm

I went ahead and made a quick fit standard idler belted extruder at the same time so I can compare the two directly. It uses the same tensioner as the flexystruder belt variant.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:224242

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Here's the standard wades belted unit printed. I changed the tensioner around a bit. the belted flexystruder will be the same general motor layout. But now I'm waiting on filament since I ran out. Oops.
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG

bam

Post by bam » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 pm

piercet wrote:Here's the standard wades belted unit printed. I changed the tensioner around a bit. the belted flexystruder will be the same general motor layout. But now I'm waiting on filament since I ran out. Oops.
Lookin good!