Heat Creep on Taz 6 Single Extruder 2.1 - anyone else?

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
stefapock

Heat Creep on Taz 6 Single Extruder 2.1 - anyone else?

Post by stefapock » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey there,

I'm having trouble finding a solution in the threads out there so I figured I'd post here.

I seem to be having a heat creep issue similar to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4200&start=10

The filament seems to be eaten into until the gears cannot grab anything anymore and wont extrude downward.

The above thread states the problem is solved, but the problem is for a Taz5 and though I ordered the same fan and printed the same piece (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1461335), the piece does not fit my extruder which is a Single Extruder V2.1

Has anyone experienced heatcreep with the same models as mine and found a good solution? Perhaps a modified version of the piece that fits a 2.1?

I'm a beginner here so I welcome any pointers or calling out my dumb questions =) cheers!

CoParaTech

Re: Heat Creep on Taz 6 Single Extruder 2.1 - anyone else?

Post by CoParaTech » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Filament jams can be caused by a number of things. Your Taz 6 has a 40mm filament fan on it already, so that's most likely not the problem, assuming it is working properly. To more accurately diagnose the problem, we'll need to look into the type of filament being used, the type of part being printed, which slicer you are using, and what your settings are.

stefapock

Post by stefapock » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm

CoParaTech wrote:Filament jams can be caused by a number of things. Your Taz 6 has a 40mm filament fan on it already, so that's most likely not the problem, assuming it is working properly. To more accurately diagnose the problem, we'll need to look into the type of filament being used, the type of part being printed, which slicer you are using, and what your settings are.
Of course. I am using Cura 21.00, white PLA filament with default standard settings except for a 15% infill setting instead of 20% (needed to speed up my print). The part I am printing is actually 10 miniature container ships for a client (one STL file multiplied and spaced out into 10 rectangular shapes). I've had 3 failed prints in a row, all of which begin printing okay then about an hour in the filament seems to have the 'eating away issue' where the filament does not seem to want to go through the extruder, then it gets stuck and the gears grind away at one part of the filament and eats away at it.

Strangely I printed the same STLs with PLA four times before this issue started happening with no issue. I have since switched to INOVA-1800 in order to get this order done (with the same 15% infill setting but otherwise default), but the issue persists as soon as I use PLA.

Thanks for reaching out!!

CoParaTech

Post by CoParaTech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 am

Check your PLA filament diameter and make sure that matches your diameter setting in Cura. Check your flow % too. 95-100% should be fine. Try increasing the nozzle temp about 5 degrees and see if that helps. You may want to try reducing your retraction speed too since there will be quite a bit of retraction when moving between the 10 parts and retracting too fast can lead to filament gringing. Also make sure your idler tension is not too tight which can bind the filament and cause it to grind. Different brands of PLA perform differently and some are more prone to clogging than others. Colorfabb nGen is a great alternative to PLA that prints easy with much fewer clogging problems. Hope that helps.

nopick

Post by nopick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:42 pm

I have battled heat creep jams during low flow PLA prints on Taz running the stock hot end as well as E3D V6 hotends both with 40mm fans installed. Don't discount heat creep too quickly. It may indeed be your problem.

If you print a larger part with nice thick layers with the same PLA and heat settings and do not have jams, there is a good chance you are having a heat creep related problem. Switching to 1.75mm PLA has cured nearly all of my issues. The filament doesn't spend as much time in the cold section and has less opportunity to heat and swell.

I have also had better luck if the room temp is below 75F.

CoParaTech

Post by CoParaTech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:36 pm

All good points nopick. I gave up on Raptor PLA because of jamming, but switching to 1.75mm filament... fascinating. I may have to try that.

nopick

Post by nopick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15 am

I am happy to add more info to the conversation. I always focus on posts regarding jams because I have had soooooo many problems with it.

As far as testing with 1.75mm, simply inserting a piece of 1.75mm bowden tube in the extruder body below the hobbed bolt has worked very well on one of my Taz 5 machines. That is probably the easiest way to give it a shot.

wermy

Post by wermy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am

nopick wrote:I am happy to add more info to the conversation. I always focus on posts regarding jams because I have had soooooo many problems with it.

As far as testing with 1.75mm, simply inserting a piece of 1.75mm bowden tube in the extruder body below the hobbed bolt has worked very well on one of my Taz 5 machines. That is probably the easiest way to give it a shot.
Sorry to bring up a relatively old thread but I'm having the same issue: my Taz 6 is chewing up PLA on low-flow prints. It sure seems like heat creep.

@nopick: is there a chance you could post a picture of what you did with the piece of bowden tube? Do you mean you stuck it all the way down there until it comes in contact with the metal hotend entrypoint? Were there any other hardware adjustments you had to make (like tightening the idler arm screws more than usual)? I'd be more than happy to switch to 1.75mm PLA if it'll get my TAZ printing it reliably.

Edit: just realized I was asking someone with the username "nopick" for a pic. :D

nopick

Post by nopick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 am

I don't have any pictures handy but, yes, the bowden tube needs to start just below the hobbed bolt and extend to the top of the hotend heat sink.

I have had the same jamming problem on E3D hotends even with larger than stock fans. The solution there was to install the heat brake with quality thermal compound and assemble the heat brake and heat sink while the heat sink was hot. This improves the mechanical connection between the brake and sink as well as adding thermal compound to fill the small gaps. Not sure if the Hex hotend can be assembled the same way, I have never had one apart.

I can send pictures and bowden length this evening if you would like.

wermy

Post by wermy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 am

nopick wrote:I don't have any pictures handy but, yes, the bowden tube needs to start just below the hobbed bolt and extend to the top of the hotend heat sink.

I have had the same jamming problem on E3D hotends even with larger than stock fans. The solution there was to install the heat brake with quality thermal compound and assemble the heat brake and heat sink while the heat sink was hot. This improves the mechanical connection between the brake and sink as well as adding thermal compound to fill the small gaps. Not sure if the Hex hotend can be assembled the same way, I have never had one apart.

I can send pictures and bowden length this evening if you would like.
Thanks for the reply! I think I get the idea of what you mean, but if you get a minute a picture or two would be awesome. Was that literally all you did to print 1.75mm filament?