PC-MAX Problems

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
it-works-tech

Re: PC-MAX Problems

Post by it-works-tech » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am

myeager

Post by myeager » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks. This is way more detailed than the instructions that I've used in the past.

I did not know you were supposed to bake the PEI before adhering to the glass. Any idea at what temperature you are supposed to bake it at? I don't see it specified... If you order PEI from Lulzbot, is it pre-baked?

mikronano

Post by mikronano » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:25 pm

These are, indeed, very interesting and detailed instructions but I honestly don't think that apply to all end users, as a whole.
And, most of all, according to these instructions, the PEI sheet comes with pre-applied double-sided adhesive tape, which is not very common when you buy thicker PEI sheets.
The most important details I'd keep from these instructions are the baking and the way to detach the adhesive protecting sheets.
The role of the baking is to ensure that there will be tiny, if none, traces of moisture content in the sheet. It's a plastic sheet after all. And this is important because we would not want to trap moisture between the PEI and the glass that will turn to steam when we heat up the bed and expand and create bubbles and mess things up. A baking temp of about 80-90 celcius (180-190 F) should do the trick.
myeager wrote:Do you mount the 468MP to the PEI first, and then to the borosilicate? Or the other way around?
Personally, I usually apply the 468MP to the PEI first because it's the hardest "couple" to get together. I like to go crazy pushing down the 468MP on the PEI because I want to make sure that I'll get all the best and uniform application. After that, I attach it on the glass where the 468MP bonds extremely well and easy. Lately, I replaced the glass with aluminum for temperature uniformity but that's another story!
In any case, please pay attention when you remove both 468MP protective sheets, especially at the edges. The tape is soooooo thin, fragile and flexible that some times it sticks at the cut sides of the protective sheets and when you pull them off, the tape gets also pulled at the edges and gets damaged and usually... unusable.
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit

myeager

Post by myeager » Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 pm

I have attached the 1/16th inch PEI to the bed, and reattached the bed to the TAZ. I now need to set the z-offset to compensate for the additional thickness of the PEI. Are there instructions somewhere on setting the z-offset? I understand I can set it in the LCD under advanced settings, but how do you get the TAZ to move the head to the z-offset value? I tried entering M851Z-1.00 into the g-code window in Cura, but the head doesn't move as suggested elsewhere, it just echos back.

myeager

Post by myeager » Sun May 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Made up a method to set the z-offset since I couldn't find any documentation.

Created a big rectangular object, 200x200x 2mm thick.
Pulled the filament out of the nozzle using the usual method.
Set the bed temp in Cura to room temp so it wouldn't get warm during the procedure.
Placed a folded sheet of paper on the bed (folded paper = .2mm thickness).
Started the print of the rectangle.
As it was printing, I adjusted the z-offset in the LCD advanced settings until there was some friction between the nozzle and paper. Checked on all different parts of the bed as the nozzle moved around.
Rounded this setting to the nearest tenth and set this as the z-offset.

I have now started a print on the bed with the thick PEI. Seems to have printed a good first layer. We will see how it turns out. :)

myeager

Post by myeager » Mon May 15, 2017 4:22 am

Worked pretty well. This is an extra long part, 12.5 inches printed diagonally. It lifted a little at the ends, but at least it didn't pull the PEI off the bed as shown in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6317 THANKS to Mikronano for his advice and guidance on this!
Attachments
WP_20170515_05_45_19_Pro.jpg

mikronano

Post by mikronano » Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 am

You're very welcome! I'm really glad I could help.
And nice job on the new PEI. From the picture I can see you did apply it very well!
Happy printing and don't forget to renew it every once in a while with a 800 or 1000 grit sand paper. Not too much force on it, just to remove the traces from the old prints and then a good wipe with isopropyl. The finely sanded surface creates tiny little pockets where the new material grabs on and thus helps with the corner lifting.
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit