NEED for Systematic approach to print settings.

Getting optimum results with PLA is a process. Getting it dialed for other materials ABS, PETG, copolymers, nylons, polyurethanes, polycarbonates are that much more challenging for the perfect print. Add to that the variability in slicers and the modifications to personal printers and things start to become difficult to compare. As the forum exists currently, we have a constellation of anecdotes with some generous individuals posting successful profile settings. Thank you for your contributions. To add to that momentum, I think that defining a systematic approach to crowd sourcing printing profile iteration would yield better results, save time, increase reproducibility, decrease frustration, and help identify common current problems or identify problems not yet foreseen in the evolving exotic filament landscape.

Please take a look at the proposed methods and adjust them so that we can get to a consensus.

Model: 3DBenchy
Slicer program
Listing the profile (attaching the file)
Filament type, manufacturer
Taz # (Modifications/stock)
Temp: Nozzle, Bed, and Fan%
Other?..

If we follow this template (or a refined one the community agrees upon), I think that the prints will really get better and we will have a system to rigorously tweak settings towards perfection. Some of these might influence the official profile settings if done well.

Is this forum the best mechanism to host this kind of thing? What it lacks in flexibility it makes up for in TAZ user visibility.

Please feel free to add. This only represents a starting point. Plus, I don’t know if there is already a system like this in place somewhere. The closest I could find was the facebook group for the 3D Benchy.

Thanks.

I totally agree with you! I wish that such a resource existed when I first got my 3D printer (Lulzbot Mini). I struggled for two weeks trying to get decent results from MicroCenter’s Inland PLA. I learned the hard way that the profiles provided by Lulzbot are often merely a starting point and that temperatures provided by filament manufacturers are not always accurate.

I believe a database would be the best solution for organizing all the profiles collected. Deciding which data points you collect will be the key to making it work. Find that sweet spot between lots of useful information and information overload. I would suggest data points such as:

[Printer Stats]
Printer Manufacturer, Model (Lulzbot Mini)
Hot End Manufacturer, Model (Hexagon)
Nozzle Diameter (0.5mm)
Bed Type and/or Preparation (PEI)
***could also include painter’s tape, PVA glue stick, Buildtak, etc.

[Filament Stats]
Brand, Product Name (ColorFabb, nGen)
Filament Type / Composition (Amphora 3300 / co-polyester)
Diameter, Tolerance (2.85mm, +/-0.05mm)
Print Temperature (220-240C)
Bed Temperature (75-85C)
Glass Transition Temperature (85C)
***Print and bed temps under the “Filament Stats” heading are maufacturer’s suggested ranges, NOT actual temps used in the test print

[Print Stats]
Model Used (#3DBenchy, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:763622)
Slicer Used (Cura, Slic3r, Simplify 3D, etc)
Print Temperature (230C)
Bed Temperature (85C)
Fan Speed, when engaged (100%, after second layer)
Layer Height (0.2mm)
Infill Percentage
Print Speed
Extrusion Multiplier / Percentage
Retraction Speed, Distance
***These seem like the most critical settings that have the most effect on the finished print. Storing the entire slicer profile may not be feasible. Perhaps a download link to a file hosted elsewhere would be best. Many of these settings may be handled differently by different slicers, so reconciling between Cura and Simplify 3D for example may pose a problem.

[Notes on Results]
Surface Quality (smooth? blobs? separated layers?)
Stringing Present?
Bridging Quality
Layer Adhesion Quality
Strength / Durability (snaps? shatters? breaks along layer lines? bends?)

I love this idea and hope to see this grow beyond just an idea on a forum post.