Gaps between perimeter and fill

I’m printing in ABS and I’m getting the gaps where the infill is supposed to meet the perimeter seen in this photo:
puck.gif
I’ve messed with a lot of settings with little improvement.

Any ideas on trouble shooting this?

Mac

It’s unclear in your photo

A. What is the shape of your object you’re trying to print
B. Where the infill is supposed to be

Can you please attach your STL file so we can take a look at it?

Thanks
Jim

The arrow shown below points to the gap between the flat surface and the perimeter it’s supposed to close. The infill can be seen below (that is, into the z axis of the photo) the fill and the perimeter (not in this photo, too much black).
puck-1.gif
I have attached the Slic3r filament and print .ini files used and the stl file.

I set the temperature manually to nozzle 220 and bed 100. I lowered the nozzle temp from recommended 230 which got rid of the “boogers” at random places in the print. (I guessed at this, it appears to have worked, and no problem with adhesion. In any case, the gap was there when it was printed at the higher temp as well.)

This is on a AO-101.
Base.stl (50.9 KB)
filament_Test1.ini (423 Bytes)
print_Test1.ini (2.16 KB)

What is your layer thickness setting and how many top layers do you have set?

Layer height = .4mm
Top layers = 3

I also notice the gaps are more prevalent on the -y and -x side when I print the 20x20 cube.

You need more top layers and your layers are almost too thick.

Humor me. Try running the same print with a 0.2mm layer thickness and try 8 top layers and send back a picture of the result. I think your problem is too few top layers and/or too thick top layers. The first few layers are used to bridge the infill and are usually pretty messy. Once they are bridged the surface can be cleaned up with more passes. 3 passes with super thick layers most likely isn’t enough.

You can tell because the places where you have holes is at the end of a straight line pass where there’s no support from the infill below.

-Jim

Ok, I set 8 top layers and changed the layer height to .2.

The top is now filled. But:

1. as seen in the side image, there seems to be a build up around the corners, so they are up swept
  2. watching while printing, it’s clear the layers aren’t solidified before the next layer is being extruded
  3. changing the seam to random fixed the zipper issue that was previously seen on the cube corner, but the seam
    appears to be in a random spot on each layer with an ooze

One issue at a time. It looks like you have blobs and zits. I’m assuming you’re running simplify 3d (let me know if I guessed incorrectly). Read this section to help fix those defects.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#blobs-and-zits

No I’m using Slic3r.

Based on the link you mentioned though, I took note of the zit event as it printed.

It appears the zit is happening at the end of the perimeter extrusion. (looked like the end of the perimeter extrusion was overlapping the beginning.)

Neither retraction or z lift appeared to make much difference.