Is there a way to duplicate a material *and* its profiles?

I’ve duplicated a material (admittedly, not in “expert” mode yet), fudged its print temp, etc. But when the dust settles, if I select that material, the only profile I can choose is “default”.

I’ve seen a tutorial or two that suggest that you go into expert mode (“custom” these days), make your tweak, and then choose to “create new material with these settings”. Does that associate copies of the profiles for the old materials with the new guy? If not, why not? And if not, is there some way to do this?

I’ve tried exporting a material and a profile for that material, and don’t see anything in the exported files that ties them together…but may have missed it.

Any clues here would be helpful.

–Richard

I’ve been trying to find this too, and I think I figured it out, but it has to be done outside Cura.

Assuming you’re using windows (filenames should match, but paths will be different if you’re on linux or mac), here’s an example of how to copy the PLA Village Plastics High Detail profile over to your custom profile.

1. Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\cura-lulzbot 2.6\resources\quality\lulzbot_mini\PLA_(Village_Plastics)_High_detail_mini.inst.cfg to %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\cura-lulzbot\2.6\quality\
  2. Rename the copied file to custom_material_High_detail_mini.inst.cfg (in my case there was an existing custom_material_default_lulzbot_mini.inst.cfg, I’m matching the file naming scheme)
  3. Edit the file (IIRC you want to use notepad++, Visual Studio Code, etc. and NOT notepad to preserve line endings)
    replace the existing [metadata] section with:

[metadata]
quality_type = custom_material_High_detail_mini
type = quality
material = custom_material_lulzbot_mini
setting_version = 1

1. Save the file and exit.
  2. Restart Cura

Done!

A basic example, but should get you started. I’ve only just figured it out myself, so if you come across other tips for managing these, please let me know!