Major PLA curling issues

Help with printing with specific plastic filaments.
JoeBowler300

Re: Major PLA curling issues

Post by JoeBowler300 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:40 am

Wet sanding has always been superior to dry sanding. You only need a little water, either dip the sandpaper in water or use a spray bottle to spray on a little water. Of course, do this with the printer off. Dry sanding you may end up with dust on your electronics and axis rods, so.... choose your cons to wet or dry sand.

Here's how to adjust your Z-axis offset through either the LCD panel or Cura
https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/Z-axis-offset

-1.520 isn't too bad considering a firmware update always sets it back to -1.2.
Are you using Cura version 3.x.xx or you still using the old cura 2.x.xx ?

How I adjusted mine was I moved the print nozzle over to the center of the bed and then adjusted my Z-axis down until it touched the print bed and then backed it off .06 for PLA.

CottonFX

Post by CottonFX » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 am

JoeBowler300 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:40 am
Wet sanding has always been superior to dry sanding. You only need a little water, either dip the sandpaper in water or use a spray bottle to spray on a little water. Of course, do this with the printer off. Dry sanding you may end up with dust on your electronics and axis rods, so.... choose your cons to wet or dry sand.

Here's how to adjust your Z-axis offset through either the LCD panel or Cura
https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/Z-axis-offset

-1.520 isn't too bad considering a firmware update always sets it back to -1.2.
Are you using Cura version 3.x.xx or you still using the old cura 2.x.xx ?

How I adjusted mine was I moved the print nozzle over to the center of the bed and then adjusted my Z-axis down until it touched the print bed and then backed it off .06 for PLA.
Ok. I have cleaned the bed with IPA, wet sanded with 2000 grit, and cleaned with IPA again. I'm now running a test just to see if there is any noticable change in adhesion.

I didn't wetsand the heck out of it, just a few passes with a sanding block in a circular pattern. Probably went over it 8 times that way. Of course it still feels smooth to me to the touch but anything would wetsanding at 2000 grit. Hopefully its enough to help.

I'm going to do as you suggested with the z offset and see how it goes.

I've still been confused about the initial layer height because some videos I saw show people setting it to 90% of the normal layer height and saying that squishes the filament. But they were using simplify 3d and not sure if I saw anyone doing it on a taz 6 so I am not real confident that it helps at all, maybe it hurts more.

What about initial layer flowrate? I have my flowrate set to 100 on initial and normal layers. Would that have any affect on better adhesion as well?

My current version of Cura is 2.6.69 lulzbot edition. Maybe I need to update.

CottonFX

Post by CottonFX » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 am

I'm currently updating cura to the most current version as well as my firmware. Hopefully that will do good things not bad. Have all my configurations ready to reinput them after the update.

JoeBowler300

Post by JoeBowler300 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Good question about the flow rate! I just did some research on it myself this past week. Basically, things expand and contract so you need to compensate for that by adjusting your flow rate. If things didn't expand and contract then your flow rate would be 100% and would be dimensionally correct. In my tests I was using MatterHackers PLA Pro, 90% flow rate seemed to be about what I needed adjust to to bring my walls back to my dimensional design. i.e. 1mm on a two wall thick square with a .5mm nozzle. At 100% I was ever so slightly larger than 1mm. Very minor though. If you need to dial in your accuracy then you may want to adjust your flow rate.

Here's two references that I used.
https://filament2print.com/gb/blog/33_W ... nting.html

I think this article is a bit better, he suggests printing 2 walls instead of one for a truer accuracy.
www.desiquintans.com/flowrate

CottonFX

Post by CottonFX » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks Joe.. Also check your private message I sent u something there about the z offset stuff.