LulzBot TAZ 3D Printers Get Another Multi-Material Tool Head Upgrade

Aleph Objects, Inc. Releases the FlexyDually Tool Head v2

LOVELAND, COLORADO, USA – Aleph Objects, Inc. released the new multi-material LulzBot TAZ FlexyDually Tool Head v2, expanding the line of tool heads designed for the company’s top-ranked 3D printers (rated No. 1 and No. 4 out of 980 machines by Aniwaa.) This expert-level upgrade enables the user to 3D print both flexible and rigid materials during a single print run. The FlexyDually Tool Head v2 is available for purchase at LulzBot.com.

“LulzBot 3D printers feature proven extruders with industry-leading robustness and millions of hours of testing and use,” Aleph Objects, Inc. Vice President of Marketing Harris Kenny said. “By upgrading the LulzBot tool head line, our community has better ways than ever to reliably prototype and bring ideas to life.”

This professional-grade tool head uses open format 3 mm filament, heats up to 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit), and is capable of printing dozens of combinations of materials. The FlexyDually Tool Head v2 is an accessory upgrade compatible with the LulzBot TAZ 4 and up.

The FlexyDually Tool Head v2 is officially supported in the latest version of Cura LulzBot Edition, available online at LulzBot.com/Cura. The latest version of Cura LulzBot Edition includes built-in quickprint profiles for popular materials like NinjaFlex® and SemiFlex™ from NinjaTek™ (a division of Fenner Drives).

LulzBot 3D printers now boast a wide range of tool heads, including:

Like all LulzBot products, the FlexyDually Tool Head v2 is shared under Open Source Hardware licenses. To learn more about Aleph Objects’ Free Software, Libre Innovation, and Open Source Hardware philosophy, visit LulzBot.com/about.
[View and download this press release in PDF format]Aleph Objects, Inc.

About: Founded in January 2011 and built on the philosophy of freedom, Aleph Objects, Inc. is a Free Software, Libre Innovation, and Open Source Hardware company. Headquartered in Loveland, Colorado, USA, Aleph Objects designs, develops, and manufactures the LulzBot ® line of 3D printers, parts, and plastics. Find a full press kit here: https://www.lulzbot.com/press/

Press Contact: press@lulzbot.com

Logo Assets: Aleph Objects, Inc. logo and LulzBot logo

#

Oooh, interesting. what kind of connection block are you using on that one? it kind of looks like an 8 pin Molex PSU connector block, but that wouldn’t have enough pins for everything.

It has two 16 position connector housings, specifically we’re using Molex 22552161. You can find our Bill of Materials with each item and its part number here

Can the extruded filament be cooled independently?

Does the mount mate properly with the X-carriage? The Dual Extruder V2 had a squared off “shoulder” which didn’t mate well with the X-carriage’s curved shape.

Ah, i thought the connector in the picture showed a white locking molex clip, but it’s still the same one the V2 used with the straight pins. Thanks for the clarification.

Heyo!

Both the dual and the flexydually have bi-directional fans so it will cool the filament from both sides of the toolhead, but both fans are controlled together so there isn’t currently the ability to cool each hotend independently. Even still, we’ve had great results with a huge range of material combinations, from INOVA+Ninjaflex to PVA support with ALLOY910.

On the toolhead mounting I think I know what you’re refering to. By design both v2 Dual extruder and the v2 Flexydually have a slight interference fit with the X-carriage guide on the TAZ. We designed this in this because it makes the toolhead mounting wayyyy more consistent than the standard toolhead mount. This means that there will be little to no change in the XY offfset after the toolhead is uninstalled and reinstalled. With the new v2’s we rarely need to recalibrate, and the offsets are always within 1mm of the nominal (0,-50). Totally worth it IMO :slight_smile:

Hope that answerers your question
-bam

Looks very nice AO. Keep up the innovation.

You sold out in a day lol!

YES! Glad I got mine! haha…

I’m wondering how many units they sold!

Nice video on the new hotend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZjsNsEiRyw

Would love to be able to get some of those small metal corner bed clamps.

They do come in handy!

How timely on that great video. UPS just dropped off my new Flexydually 2 :slight_smile:

Where can I find cura profiles for T0 (ABS etc) on FlexDuallyV2 with 0.6 nozzle? or are the 0.5 ones close enough?

Changing the nozzle diameter should work in most cases… and a good starting point for tweaking.

I haven’t checked, but the latest Cura may have profiles for the Flexydually.

Great idea!