Starting a printable electric Cello

Post by piercet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:27 am

Here's my new project. Still a ways to go yet with it, but this is a sneak peak
cellofront.png
celloback.png

piercet

Re: Starting a printable electric Cello

Post by piercet » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 pm

As you can see, I went with a slightly skinnier design. Mainly because the failed print of that first section used most of a 5lb roll of plastic...

IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG

Mary Demaine

Post by Mary Demaine » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:47 am

piercet wrote:Here's my new project. Still a ways to go yet with it, but this is a sneak peak!
cellofront.png
celloback.png
Amazing and unbelievable... 8-) I wish you success!
Last edited by Mary Demaine on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep conversations with someone who understands me, is everything.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:46 pm

Mary Demaine wrote:
Amazing and unbelievable... 8-) I wish you success!
Thanks!

Main body design is done now, I just finished printing the last piece of the neck and the entire body is printed, the pegbox is up next. I still need to design the leg spacers and back position and arm position pieces, but those will not take long once i figure out what those measurements should actually be. But i should be able to put strings on it by tuesday or so.
cellotop1.png
cellotop2.png
cello3.png
cello4.png

More pictures of the prints once I get the heatset inserts in and everything bolted up here in a few minutes once the pegbox print is done.

koniglar

Post by koniglar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Very cool.
Looks great!

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:30 pm

I apparently managed to get no useable pictures before I took the thing off to get stringed. So, next time you see it in a few days it should have strings and a bridge on it.

tallslenderguy

Post by tallslenderguy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:27 pm

This is awesome Piercet (as usual). Are you going to publish the plans? Would love to print this.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:49 pm

tallslenderguy wrote:This is awesome Piercet (as usual). Are you going to publish the plans? Would love to print this.
Thanks! I'll apparently get the strung instrument back Tuesday or Wednesday. Once I have it back in hand I'll have a couple more pieces to design (leg spacers, arm rest thing, etc. ) once I am happy with those parts I will be publishing this somewhere. I am considering potentially departing from my usual fully open source free hosting method and putting this somewhere on an inexpensive stl purchase site to see if I can make some money with it to fund the other projects (something like $0.50 to download the project or something along those lines) . If a few hundred people buy it, that gives me money to put towards the other 3d printer upgrade projects. Or I may just end up releasing it open source non commercial and offer purchasable commercial production licenses. Not sure yet.

The main thing I need to do before I release any of the parts will be ensuring the design can take the string tension without imploding.

Depending on how this one works out, there may be an electric string bass in the works as well.

tallslenderguy

Post by tallslenderguy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm playing around right now with a Baroque flute I found on Thingaverse, still working on learning CAD software (Blender), but gotta play along the way. I think you should go for it on the pay for the design, you do great stuff and this looks like a very cool design. That would be a negligible cost for those interested, and you might get something back for your efforts besides. I've seem a violin out there, but no designs. Also saw a guy who is making a mini bow and selling them, very cool (not at home right now otherwise I'd put a link in.

Good luck, hope it holds together with the string tension...if it works, you'll have to design a printable tennis racquet next :D
cheers

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:55 am

Well, the Cello did make it back from the cello bridge shop, but you will note that it does not yet have strings. After keeping my cello for 9 days, I finally got a phone call letting me know that the angle of cello neck 1.0 was off, and that they wouldn't be able to fit the bridge until I make a new one. Also the fingerboard I have right now is apperently warped (new one on the way). So, I went and got it, brought it home, made neck 2.0 and pegbox 7.9 (don't ask) to fit on the new neck, and designed the arm rest and the leg resty things. Aaand, thats about the time I ran out of fillament. One of my suppliers is being a jerk, but more is on the way. So i decided to start fixing the sides (please note, all the layer issues visible on the sides were user inflicted. I upgraded my computer and it was having a power supply issue that caused it to randomly crash reboot without bluescreens at random 9 hour-ish intervals, so it kept dying in the middle of really long prints that I was sending from my usually reiable computer. (by the way, if anyone needs to know how to stop random reboots on a socket 2011-v3 Asus motherboard, I know the trick now.)

Anyways, here are the pictures of the unit as it currently stands. You can also see the powered preamp and piezo pickup. Once I get a few more things taken care of on the back in preparation for paint, the wires will be installed and an insert containing a power switch will go in the back hole there. I also still have yet to design and print the "back positiony cello rest thingy" piece. Once the new fingerboard arrives, but before I paint it, this assembly will go back to the luthier, get actual strings, and then finally be ready for painting.
IMG_2516.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG