Deployable container and table ideas

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
eodcoduto

Deployable container and table ideas

Post by eodcoduto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am

We are building an Advanced Manufacturing capability within the Marine Corps and the Taz 6 is a huge piece of this. So far we have moved our Taz6 around 13 times using the original box, to include a cross country move and three weeks in the California desert.

So now that the original box is dead, I would like to build a box for the printer that could act as a table in the field and is rugged enough to be moved dozens of times. I am thinking of 1/2" plastic board for the box but I am open to any ideas or designs that you guys have.

I still want to add two external hour meters to the machine as well, but that is another project.

DCWGeoff

Re: Deployable container and table ideas

Post by DCWGeoff » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:20 am

Great idea. I wonder if you could start with an off-the-shelf table and modify from there, at least for a prototype. There are several foldable compact workbenches, like the B&D Workmate as well as others of differing ingenious designs. Maybe take one of those and add hinged drop-down sides and secure mounting points for both in-operation and in-transit modes of the printer. Wheels could make transport easier and safer.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Deployable container and table ideas

Post by Orias » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm

We've been considering this system for our trade shows, it combines a pallet and crate that breaks down and converts into tables:
https://tradeshowandgo.com/products/myp ... 9218116659
eodcoduto wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am
We are building an Advanced Manufacturing capability within the Marine Corps and the Taz 6 is a huge piece of this. So far we have moved our Taz6 around 13 times using the original box, to include a cross country move and three weeks in the California desert.

So now that the original box is dead, I would like to build a box for the printer that could act as a table in the field and is rugged enough to be moved dozens of times. I am thinking of 1/2" plastic board for the box but I am open to any ideas or designs that you guys have.

I still want to add two external hour meters to the machine as well, but that is another project.
We've also used large pelican cases in the past to transport flatpacked TAZ printers.