Belt Tightening?

Is it possible to tighten the belts? Or do you have to install new ones when they get too loose?

Check Thingiverse for GT2 belt tensioners. I like the adjustable style, but there is also simpler slip-on versions.

Figured out that the idler mount is broken as you can see in this photo.

Have downloaded the model and am printing a new one.

1 Like

To answer your original question, yes, you can tighten the X and Y belts. You do not have to buy new ones. You do not need a tensioner unless that is the option you prefer.

How do you tighten them?

The belts are not a continuous loop, there’s a clamp that locks in each end of the strip of belt. It’s under the table for the Y axis, and behind the extruder mount on the X axis. Use an allen wrench, loosen the clamp, use a needle-nose pliers to grasp the end of the belt and tug it gently tighter, then whilst holding the belt tension with the pliers with one hand, and holding the table or print head stationary with the other hand, use your third hand ( :smiley: ) to tighten the screws down. Done.

1 Like

Excellent! Thanks.

This is a good solution! Took about 2 minutes. Thanks for the tip!

Hi! Sorry to bother, but could you share where to download that model pls? I really needed to print one too, because mt belt is loose and the whole structure holding it is pretty much broken. Thank you!!

I think this might be the part you are looking for production_parts/printed_parts/y_idler_mount/y_idler_mount_v4.0.stl · master · LulzBot 3D / Printers / LulzBot TAZ 6 · GitLab

There’s a clamp that locks in each end of the strip of belt. It’s under the table for the Y-axis.

On my Lulzbot mini, I had to take the PEI Surface off because the clamp holding the belt was loose and you have to take the glass print bed off to tighten the clamp that holds the y-axis belt. Then I could loosen the small bolt on the clamp and follow others’ instructions to take hold of the belt end with plyers and gently but firmly put the belt tighter while getting ready to tighten the belt bolt up.

Now everything is running much more quietly.