Taz 5 Hotend problem, please help

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
mhackney

Re: Taz 5 Hotend problem, please help

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:43 pm

This is very odd! I've not seen anything like this and now there are a few folks seeing the same phenomenon. You couldn't design and build a system to extrude such a cool spiral!
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

discojon

Post by discojon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:06 pm

The other nozzles I have tried on the hotend extrude just fine btw.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Ok, that's good info! What is the orifice on this one and the others you've used without this issue?
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

discojon

Post by discojon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:13 pm

it's the nozzle that ships with the hexagon hotend. .35mm The others are some generic .2, .3, .4 mm nozzles I had laying around from something that just happened to fit.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

BaltimoreBully

Post by BaltimoreBully » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Well, I have fixed my original problem of the filament curling up on me. I originally soaked the nozzle in acetone for a week and had no luck with that. I finally took the nozzle off Friday night and took a heat gun to it. Then afterwards I soaked it in acetone again. That seems to have gotten rid of whatever my problem was. I have been printing just fine since Friday night. (after a few tweeks, but will make another post about that soon)

discojon, I had the filament extrude like that on me today when using pronterface to try and calibrate my extruder. I don't know why it happened but it would only extrude that way in pronterface. Once I switched over to Cura, the problem disappeared completely. If you have already fully cleaned out your nozzle, try to switch the program you are using to extrude the filament and see if this changes anything. Like I said, this only happened to me when manually extruding with pronterface. I could not get it to repeat in Cura. I was using the same temperatures in both of the programs.

discojon

Post by discojon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Ok i'll give it a shot. I am in the middle of a 8 hour print now and it is printing just fine so far. I had 2 failed prints earlier with a hard clog, but so far this time it's going swimmingly. I have been using OctoPrint when the issue was occuring. I'll try Simplify3D later and report back.

discojon

Post by discojon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:43 am

I'll update my last post. I aborted the previous print i mentioned as there was HIPS leaking between the heater block and nozzle. Probably my fault for not having it tight enough (FYI, there are 2 separate specs I've seen in official material 30 in/lbs and 30 ft/lbs.) Removed it and cleaned it again to get that mess sorted out. found a 7/64th drill bit that fit perfectly in the nozzle cavity and gently spun it by hand to clean any detritus from the walls that may get pushed through. Next was an acetone bath and good stirrin'. Then a thorough purge atPLA at 195*C, which on my machine is about as low as It will extrude. The idea here was to keep the PLA as solid as possible so it would "polish" the inside of the nozzle. Whether or not that was actually happening is above my station. Long story short, the nozzle is now extruding round and straight again.

I'm curious as to what filament others are seeing the problem with. My issue seems to begin each time I use the official Lulzbot black HIPS. Extruding at 230, no contact between nozzle and bed.

BaltimoreBully

Post by BaltimoreBully » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:37 am

That's funny. Because all I've used since I've had my Taz is the black hips from the Lulzbot website. I don't know if there's a problem with this particular one or just a coincidence. I will probably try abs once my hips runs out though.

discojon

Post by discojon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am

Post up a photo of the batch number and other labels on the spool so we can compare notes. I'll post mine tonight.

BaltimoreBully

Post by BaltimoreBully » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 pm

My batch # is 2014-10-31-1. I was printing when I read your post and could'nt remove the reel. Interestingly enough I had never really paid attention to the label before. It actually has a listed temperature of 220-260 celsius for printing. I was under the assumption that 230 was a minimum temperature for hips. I know that at 240 I get kind of rough top layers sometime, so I had dropped my temp down to 230. I may have to try another print at 220 and see how it turns out.