TAZ 5 and 1.75mm Filament

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
BaltimoreBully

Re: TAZ 5 and 1.75mm Filament

Post by BaltimoreBully » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:39 pm

The only upgrades from taz 4 to 5 were the hexagon hotend and the pei bedsheet. Everything else is the same. If you get those two upgrades, you'll basically have a taz 5.

Kevinvandeusen

Post by Kevinvandeusen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Yes, the hexagon works well with 1.75

ethanca

Post by ethanca » Thu May 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Just got my TAZ 5 in the mail and am trying to get 1.75mm filament working because, like others, I already have lots of it. I can print for a few minutes, but then the filament starts to get kinked between the extruder gears and hot end. Anyone have a solution to this?[img]imgur.com/JGvw8u4[/img]

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:38 pm

What type of filament? Make sure the little blower is always on. Try increasing temps by a few degrees.... Doesn't seem like the heater block is melting the filament fast enough.

ethanca

Post by ethanca » Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 am

kcchen_00 wrote:What type of filament? Make sure the little blower is always on. Try increasing temps by a few degrees.... Doesn't seem like the heater block is melting the filament fast enough.
Thanks for the quick reply. It's Hatchbox PLA, and since posting I've been able to do several prints without having the issue present itself again. I loosened up the thumb screws on the extruder tensioner a bit and also raised the extruder temp to 205 in S3D, as I realized the PLA preset for the TAZ 4 has temp at 190, whereas Lulzbot's Cura guide specifies that the TAZ 5 requires a higher temperature (probably the result of a more effectively-located thermistor).

A new issue I'm noticing is that there's underextrusion for several cm after a retraction is performed... I suspect that this is a result of 1.75mm filament in a 3mm hole, so maybe I'll have to dial in some retraction compensation. What retraction settings are you running?

EDIT: We're back to kinking filament, so I'm still looking for a solution there as well.

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm also getting kinking and underextrusion after retraction with red Hatchbox 1.75mm PLA on my LulzBot Mini. I'm using the default PLA medium settings except for diameter change in Cura. Smaller prints seem to be fine, but larger ones (perhaps more retraction) causes kinking.

I noticed lots of buildup on my hobbed bolt also. The solution is to reduce tension (I was thinking it needed more tension to tightly hold the smaller diameter of filament)? What's the 'default' tension for the hobbed bolt?

Thanks,
Andy

BaltimoreBully

Post by BaltimoreBully » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:24 pm

I have never been able to get any 1.75 filament to print on my Taz 5. I'm scared to even try it on the mini because the mini is printing flawlessly right now. When the thread first started, I bought some 1.75 mm hatchbox pla from Amazon because it was only like 20$ a roll. I heated up to 240 to try and purge all of the hips out of the nozzle and then fed the pla through by hand until I could see the color change. Then I tightened the latch and began extruding in Cura. Worked like a charm. I tried a test print (mhackeny's calibration disc) and the only thing it would do was spurt out of the nozzle. Never any even or consistent extrusion. I cancelled the print and then tried to extrude through Cura again and it worked fine again. Went to try to print again and the same thing happened. I even bought another roll of 1.75mm abs just to see if it was just an issue with the pla, but I got the same results. I would love to be able to get the filament to work as it is more cost effective than most of the 3mm that I have seen. Can anyone who has got this to work shed a little insight on what you are doing. Thanks.

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:09 pm

I just finished a 12 hour print on my Mini with Red Hatchbox 1.75mm PLA at standard temps. Loosening the idler screws did the trick for me.

I initially thought it should be tightened... but that caused a ton of kinking. I found another thread where they've posted a STL with a jig for properly tensioning (it definitely seems to be for 3mm though... much tighter than what I had it set to for my successful print).

I still do get some accumulation on the hobbed bolt, but it never stopped extruding or got thin.

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Here's the thread with the calibration jig for the Mini. I'd guess there is a jig for the Taz on the server somewhere.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2132

I was getting accumulation and zero extrusion with my idler loose. I thought that was the trick, but apparently not.

I set the tension with the jig and had a perfect print (after removing the clog the loose idler caused).

Andy

BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 am

Also started with 1.75mm Red Hatchbox PLA. I seem to be printing fine with 225C. I hand-fed first to make sure it didn't kink before getting into the chamber. Every time I start a print, I also make sure to re-load the filament by hand.

I'm pretty new to the Taz 5, though, and so far I've had a (possibly related?) issue where my Cura estimates are far below what it actually takes the machine to print (2.5hrs vs 8+ hours). Does anyone know what might be the cause of this problem?