ABS Part Lifting/Warping off bed of TAZ5

I have been experiencing part lift/warp printing with ABS on my new TAZ5. The part itself is part of the reason: 1/10 thick walls 1" tall and roughly 8" by 10.75". However, the confusing thing is that it only happens on the front corners of the build plate. The rear corners are fine. Yes, I did level the bed, so I don’t think that is the issue (I guess I could have screwed up that somehow.) I did print using a raft. The part is rather large, so I am running into space issues…

In watching James Bruton’s Youtube videos, he advocates paying the parts flat, and breaking them into sections for printing, to reassemble later. I can do this, but it seems like most of this is working. Print times are long, however, 11 hours) so experimentation is a bit tedious.

The room in which I have the printer is closed, with no drafts, so the temperature is consistent. I do intend to build an enclosure for the printer, but I hope to get this part done first (to finish off a project I am currently working on.)

I’ve tried using both Cura for TAZ and MatterControl (which I prefer overall, though it could use a few improvements), each with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay Roth

It happens to me all the time with hips. The front two corners seem to curl up off of the bed plate. I think this is caused by the back and forth movement of the y axis. This creates sort of a draft that gets under the part. I think the only real way to combat this is to build an enclosure. I’ve tried playing with the fan levels and although this helps a bit, I still get curling and lift on the front two corners.

Add a brim to the print in your slicing software. Make sure the bed temp is 100-105C for the first layer. I like to keep the fan off for the first 10mm.

Optionally, try adding -.1 to the Z-offset in the slicing software to increase adhesion…

I’m not sure why there is lifting/warping on just the front corners, though. Given the geometry of the machine, and its placement in the room, I would expect to see similar results on all corners. I’m curious if the heated bed is heated evenly…

At any rate, I have tried these suggestions to similar results. I am going to re-engineer my parts to allow for a piecewise build, which hopefully will mitigate the warping. At some point in the near term, I will build that enclosure.

Yeah… try re-orienting the part by 45 degrees. Maybe a 10-20mm skirt wall may block some of the airflow around the bottom.

You might try less infill. If you’re running a high percentage of infill, as it cools and shrinks it pulls in the sides and thus up on the corners.

If you’re using a linear infill pattern (all ribs running in just one direction), I’ve found it best to orient the infill so the ribs are as short as possible, to reduce corner lifting.

Another thought is to use a full-height skirt – make it just as high as the part. It doesn’t have to be very thick. That’ll build a sort of “enclosure” around the part as it’s built up, blocking drafts as you build. And it’ll help keep what’s been built warm, so it won’t shrink as much during the build.

All that said, that size part in ABS without a full enclosure is probably always going to be touchy.

What is your bed temperature at? You can also try bumping up the temperature a couple of degrees and see if that makes a difference

Bed temp was 110, extruder 240

I like the approach suggested by Kcchen_00 and try rotating the part. I’d rotate it 180 degrees to see it it still lifts on the same front corners. I also like the thought that the bed may heat unevenly, so maybe you could position the part to the front of the bed and see if it lifts on the back, or move it left or right. Just some random thoughts… :slight_smile:

Mark -

I will try that next time, but this particular part filled the entire bed (it was a frame). Given the size, I would have not been able to use a large brim…

I’m having the same issue with lifting on a TAZ5 – tried rotating part and shifting on bed. Tried to increase the skirt height to a couple cm as Kcchen_00 suggests but cannot find where to control that in Cura. Does anyone know where or even if it is possible within Cura?
thanks

Try bumping your bed temperature up to around 90-92 and see if that does the trick.

Thanks piercet. I forgot to mention I’m printing ABS, and have the nozzle @ 240C and the bed @ 110C. Am also wiping an acetone/ABS solution on the plate prior to printing… When I turned the air con. and ceiling fan off in the room, adhesion got better, but it still pulls up at the same end by about a couple mm. If I can just figure out how to raise the skirt height, i think that might help

Turn off the fan. Let the ABS cool naturally for the 3mm. Try an eighth to quarter turn on the z-endstop to get the nozzle a tad bit lower.

Thanks kcchen_00, doing what you suggest had a significant effect. That was good advice, much appreciated.
Still peels ever so slightly (<1mm) at one end, will try to give another 1/8 turn on that end stop, and leave the fan off for the first 4mm and see what happens. Will report the results, in case anyone else is interested and might benefit from this…

Glad that helped. When you turn on the fan leave it fairly low… 40% seems to work well. Too much cooling will make the ABS contract. While 4mm should be a good base, it can still be lifted off the bed from the upper layers contracting.

Stick with it, almost have nirvana. :slight_smile:

Once again, thanks kcchen_00. Making the adjustments you mentioned in that last comment let me yield my first perfect part result. Very stoked. You have guru status.

I will try to summarize for anyone searching the forum for this info:

[1] wipe acetone/ABS solution (google it) on the bed prior to printing
[2] after calibrating z height with the paper feeler method, lower z end stop additionally by ⅛ to ¼ turn to get closer to bed
[3] nozzle temp @ 240C, bed temp @ 110C for printing
[4] when generating g-code, leave fan off during the first 3 to 4 mm, then ramp up gradually to a max of 40% fan power.
[5] bed temp @ 50C for part extraction
[6] In my case, it adheres so well, now I’m stymied trying to pry it off…

Hope this helps someone. Credit to kcchen_00.