Comprehensive List of TAZ Modifications

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
killacycle

Re: Comprehensive List of TAZ Modifications

Post by killacycle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:45 pm

This is a duct I designed for a 25mm fan for the heatsink on the extruder:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1461335
Mounts in the original place using the original blower screw. Tucks nicely out of the way.

I think that the TAZ 6 has a similar heatsink blower, but uses a much bulkier 30mm (or 40mm) fan.

This 25mm muffin fan and duct arrangement _completely_ cured our PLA filament jamming/grinding problems. Glow-in-the-dark PLA and metal-filled PLA are no longer a problem.

Bill D.

KelVarnson

Post by KelVarnson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am

My previous extruder modification, adding vents and a fan to the extruder body to combat heat creep, was only partially successful in solving the problem. At this point I am suggesting that mod should probably be removed from the list, as I don't think it is worthwhile.

Meanwhile, I have designed a fan shroud and mounting clip that appears now to have completely solved the heat creep problem, after many hours of printing. I designed the parts for the Dual Head V2, but I suspect they may also fit and work in the single extruder head, although that is yet to be verified.

I am asking that you please review the following post and consider adding the upgrade to this list:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4348

Thank you!

2con

Post by 2con » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Is there a mod out there as an upgrade for the younger Taz's so that it can preform the auto-cleaning sequence without having the purchase a new aluminum under plate?
Taz 2 since crowdfunding 2013
-complete upgrade to Taz 6, swing-arm auto leveling, anti-z wobble installed, hardened steel rods with all linear bearings, vibration dampers, auto cleaning, hexagonal noz upgrade
To do:
-Cable carriers

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Yup! www.thingiverse.com/thing:1261303
You will need to modify the taz 6 or mini wipe startup gcode to use it. It does require drilling the bed plate, but that can be done on the frame.

Let me know if it needs any changes
2con wrote:Is there a mod out there as an upgrade for the younger Taz's so that it can preform the auto-cleaning sequence without having the purchase a new aluminum under plate?

2con

Post by 2con » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks!
Is there also a guide on how to upgrade to Taz's auto level system instead of the 1013's method with an activator and a toggle? Is it worth buying all the parts to do?

The capacitive auto levelling is expensive so I personally think your missing an auto levelling link (original forum by 1013): viewtopic.php?t=2093
-complete upgrade to Taz 6, swing-arm auto leveling, anti-z wobble installed, hardened steel rods with all linear bearings, vibration dampers, auto cleaning, hexagonal noz upgrade
To do:
-Cable carriers

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:32 am

I didn't think the older 1013 auto leveling would still fit the Taz 5, I guess it does though. I'll add it to the list when i update it, I have to go through it and see which mods will fit a 6 anyways soon, plus I need to post a few more of mine that are in the works. Ther is a retrofit "add the mini disks to the corners of the Taz 5" project out there in the forums that at least one person has implemented, and there is talk of a retrofit kit being released. If nothing else you can buy the bed plate from a couple of places if the users are still selling them.

2con

Post by 2con » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:04 pm

piercet wrote:I didn't think the older 1013 auto leveling would still fit the Taz 5, I guess it does though. I'll add it to the list when i update it, I have to go through it and see which mods will fit a 6 anyways soon, plus I need to post a few more of mine that are in the works. Ther is a retrofit "add the mini disks to the corners of the Taz 5" project out there in the forums that at least one person has implemented, and there is talk of a retrofit kit being released. If nothing else you can buy the bed plate from a couple of places if the users are still selling them.
Thanks man! this list is wonderful after being away for so long. I cant thank you enough.
I like your videos and your work! keep it up.
To do:
-Cable carriers

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:09 pm

2con wrote:
Thanks man! this list is wonderful after being away for so long. I cant thank you enough.
I like your videos and your work! keep it up.
You're welcome!

candrprinting

Post by candrprinting » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you would add the Titan E3D V6 mount to the list? Here's my link to Thingiverse, which is a remix from another which I strengthened and also put in heat set inserts so not trying to thread all into plastic :-) I also made a more "printable" fan shroud/duct from scratch. Thanks!

Link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1695388

UPDATE 08/01/16: Extruder is up and running! Added final pics with wiring and 20mm test cube printed using new Titan and E3D. Working great! Definitely a weight savings for sure!

shawnkoh

Post by shawnkoh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:41 am

Any updates for taz 6?