Comprehensive List of TAZ Modifications

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
piercet

Re: Comprehensive List of TAZ Modifications

Post by piercet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

Farny3D wrote:
Not sure if quoting this comment is really what I meant to do.
Ive used a bunch of the mod links to upgrade my Taz5. I did the X-axis mod for 12mm rods and used linear ball bearings, as well as upgrading the Y-axis rods to 12mm using the Taz 6 12mm rod corners and 12mm single bearing holders.

Ive done so many upgrades to my Taz 5 that Ive been able to assemble another printer from all of the old parts. #stoked
My problem though is that I cant seem to find the correct 12mm bearing holders for the Taz 6 build plate in any of the printed production parts on the Lulzbot Downloads page. The mounting holes for the Taz6 aluminum bed are not in the same position as the ones on the Taz5 bed. Ive printed a few different 12mm single bearing holders from the downloads page and none of them seem to line up correctly with the holes drilled into the platter. Could you possibly point me in the direction of the correct .stl files? Im going to use 12mm rods and linear bearings on that bed as well. Im not sure why itworks3d sent me the Taz6 build plate instead of the Taz5, but Im not complaining because this thing looks super rugged. I just waited to long before I could send it back for an exchange. If this is a bother for you I can give Aleph objects a call and see if they can point me in the right direction. Your comprehensive list is epic so i wanted to say thanks for that as well, because Ive learned so much about 3D printing just from the mods on that list.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it!

The Taz 5 bed and the Taz 6 bed do not use the same mounting hole locations. Anything that is designed for the Taz 6 bed is going to be off a little bit. The closest you are going to find are the ones here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1549505 That will fit the Taz 6 build plate. If you are going to use the Taz 6 build plate, the belt mount is also completely different, so you'll need a replacement front Y axis plate, the taz 6 front Idler mount, the belt mount, the button mount, the Y bed plate wiring harness and an extra limit switch, along with the auto leveling washers since the 6 plate will not fit your 5 style corner mounts. If you want to use the 5 plate, you'll need to either redrill some holes or redo the bearing holder part.

Farny3D

Post by Farny3D » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks a lot. I already did my bed corners for the 6, got the new 12mm rods, ordered the carbo fiber motor and idler y mounts, but couldnt seem to get the bearing holders to line up with the predrilled holes on the build plate I got for the 6. Ill try a test print of the bearing holder .stl that is on thingiverse with the 12mm rod corners. Thanks for your help.

Farny3D

Post by Farny3D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

piercet wrote:
Farny3D wrote:
Ive used a bunch of the mod links to upgrade my Taz5. I did the X-axis mod for 12mm rods and used linear ball bearings, as well as upgrading the Y-axis rods to 12mm using the Taz 6 12mm rod corners and 12mm single bearing holders.

Ive done so many upgrades to my Taz 5 that Ive been able to assemble another printer from all of the old parts. #stoked
My problem though is that I cant seem to find the correct 12mm bearing holders for the Taz 6 build plate in any of the printed production parts on the Lulzbot Downloads page. The mounting holes for the Taz6 aluminum bed are not in the same position as the ones on the Taz5 bed. Ive printed a few different 12mm single bearing holders from the downloads page and none of them seem to line up correctly with the holes drilled into the platter. Could you possibly point me in the direction of the correct .stl files? Im going to use 12mm rods and linear bearings on that bed as well. Im not sure why itworks3d sent me the Taz6 build plate instead of the Taz5, but Im not complaining because this thing looks super rugged. I just waited to long before I could send it back for an exchange. If this is a bother for you I can give Aleph objects a call and see if they can point me in the right direction. Your comprehensive list is epic so i wanted to say thanks for that as well, because Ive learned so much about 3D printing just from the mods on that list.

The Taz 5 bed and the Taz 6 bed do not use the same mounting hole locations. Anything that is designed for the Taz 6 bed is going to be off a little bit. The closest you are going to find are the ones here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1549505 That will fit the Taz 6 build plate. If you are going to use the Taz 6 build plate, the belt mount is also completely different, so you'll need a replacement front Y axis plate, the taz 6 front Idler mount, the belt mount, the button mount, the Y bed plate wiring harness and an extra limit switch, along with the auto leveling washers since the 6 plate will not fit your 5 style corner mounts. If you want to use the 5 plate, you'll need to either redrill some holes or redo the bearing holder part.
Ok sorry to bother you again, but does the Taz6 use 12mm rods for the Y-Axis? The bearing holders I keep finding dont align with the drilled holes in the Taz 6 build plate. I just tried the ones listed in the official downloads section and they seem to be for 10mm bearings but the Y corner .stl files labeled as Taz_6_12mm_Y_rods_1_0_a_LR_corner.stl appear to be designed for 12mm rails on the Y-Axis but the bearing holders in the same directory for the Y-Axis are clearly for 10mm bushings. Any help would be great because if I can get this bed mounted I will have a fully functional Taz 6 that all the printed parts were made with the Taz 5 sizing right next to it. I guess i could use the ones I just printed for the 5 build plate and just drill new holes, but if there is a correct file I could print that would be a much better option for me.

piercet

Post by piercet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 am

Farny3D wrote:
piercet wrote:
Farny3D wrote:

Ok sorry to bother you again, but does the Taz6 use 12mm rods for the Y-Axis? The bearing holders I keep finding dont align with the drilled holes in the Taz 6 build plate. I just tried the ones listed in the official downloads section and they seem to be for 10mm bearings but the Y corner .stl files labeled as Taz_6_12mm_Y_rods_1_0_a_LR_corner.stl appear to be designed for 12mm rails on the Y-Axis but the bearing holders in the same directory for the Y-Axis are clearly for 10mm bushings. Any help would be great because if I can get this bed mounted I will have a fully functional Taz 6 that all the printed parts were made with the Taz 5 sizing right next to it. I guess i could use the ones I just printed for the 5 build plate and just drill new holes, but if there is a correct file I could print that would be a much better option for me.
The 12mm bearing holders in the thingiverse page are designed to fit 12mm this bearings. They use the same dimensions as the ones for the x axis. I'm pretty much 100% certain they will fit a 12mm bearing because I designed that particular modification. The stock tax 6 y axis uses 10mm rods.

Farny3D

Post by Farny3D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:20 am

piercet wrote:
Farny3D wrote:
piercet wrote: Thanks, glad you are enjoying it!

The 12mm bearing holders in the thingiverse page are designed to fit 12mm this bearings. They use the same dimensions as the ones for the x axis. I'm pretty much 100% certain they will fit a 12mm bearing because I designed that particular modification. The stock tax 6 y axis uses 10mm rods.

Gotcha! Do you know of any 12mm single bearing holders that will fit on the TAZ6 bed, that wouldnt require driling new holes in the platter?
Id just adjust the files I currently have but my terminal crashed and I basically lost EVERYTHING on my HD, so no more cad software, or any of my .stl files. Trying to deal with that and get this printer upgraded at the same time has been sort of a nightmare, so your help has been HUGE and cant thank you enough.

piercet

Post by piercet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 am

Those will fit the 6 bed. They will not fit a 5 bed .

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I've added the BLtouch and made a nearly complete tutorial, viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6809

papabear

Taz 5 Bowden vs direct feed of filament

Post by papabear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 am

I am new to 3D printing and my new Taz 5 is my first experience. For space considerations my earliest prints were brackets to mount the filament 1kg spools on top of the frame dropping directly to the center of the build plate without Bowden tube. Therefore the print head is pulling the filament but with drag from the plastic tube of the spool mount. Should I try to mount the spools on bearings to reduce drag or include a Bowden tube, or?
Many people said Taz machines are the best, this must be true as compared with other brands, there are few comments/mods on the web for Taz machines.
All comments are welcome as I have much to learn,
ieuan Lewis, UK

bestazy

Re: Taz 5 Bowden vs direct feed of filament

Post by bestazy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 am

papabear wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 am
I am new to 3D printing and my new Taz 5 is my first experience. For space considerations my earliest prints were brackets to mount the filament 1kg spools on top of the frame dropping directly to the center of the build plate without Bowden tube. Therefore the print head is pulling the filament but with drag from the plastic tube of the spool mount. Should I try to mount the spools on bearings to reduce drag or include a Bowden tube, or?
Many people said Taz machines are the best, this must be true as compared with other brands, there are few comments/mods on the web for Taz machines.
ieuan Lewis, UK
Check this topic mate.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6539
Can help you decide what you want.Do not thank to me.
I've already stop working with TAZ a year ago.Just creat new acc for helping people around. :D
cheer

Farny3D

Re: Taz 5 Bowden vs direct feed of filament

Post by Farny3D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:16 am

papabear wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 am
ieuan Lewis, UK
I ditched the tube. Caused too many clogs. I also mounted spool holders to the top of the unit like you described. One thing you may notice on faster prints is weight displacement issues. I keep a full spool of filament on the stock filament holder when im printing so there is even weight distribution throughout the machine. It may just be in my head, but ever since putting a spool back on the holder and printing with the filament fed down from the top of the machine, im getting much much better print quality. Again this could all be in my head.
But seriously the tubes suck, no amount of lubrication has helped prevent the tubes from clogging for me, so I just got rid of them completely. Once i discovered the best retraction settings to use for each material I was printing with, not having the feeding tubes installed became a NONISSUE.