Differences between Lulzbot TAZ models 1 2 3 4 5 6

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
i-t-w.com

Re: Differences between Lulzbot TAZ models 1 2 3 4 5 6

Post by i-t-w.com » Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 pm

piercet wrote: One typo on my section, I apperently had these in there twice
- Bed frame to main frame connectors change to prevent bed lifting and shifting.
- Bed frame to main frame connectors change to prevent bed lifting and shifting.
Fixed!
IT-Works 3D Printers, Supplies, Training, Support, Repair, Parts
http://www.itworks3d.com
sales@i-t-w.com
970-599-1152

PdxSteve

Post by PdxSteve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Taz 6 apparently has about a 1 second delay for on/off now at the main power switch that the 5 didn't have. It sounds like it's using a relay of some sort.

I think:
- power supply is moved inside the control box
- Control box is expanded
Might be better said (with note about included LCD controller and single power switch as opposed to 2 on the T5 - one for PS and one for Taz):
-New expanded metal control box housing consolidates power supply, RAMBo board, LCD Panel w/Control Knob and 1 power switch along with an exhaust fan into a single unit.

i-t-w.com

Post by i-t-w.com » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:07 pm

PdxSteve wrote:Taz 6 apparently has about a 1 second delay for on/off now at the main power switch that the 5 didn't have. It sounds like it's using a relay of some sort.

I think:
- power supply is moved inside the control box
- Control box is expanded
Might be better said (with note about included LCD controller and single power switch as opposed to 2 on the T5 - one for PS and one for Taz):
-New expanded metal control box housing consolidates power supply, RAMBo board, LCD Panel w/Control Knob and 1 power switch along with an exhaust fan into a single unit.
yep, thanks!
IT-Works 3D Printers, Supplies, Training, Support, Repair, Parts
http://www.itworks3d.com
sales@i-t-w.com
970-599-1152

marczem

Post by marczem » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks for the details. This is really helpful. What would be the approximate time/cost for a beginner to upgrade from the Taz 5 to Taz 6?

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:21 pm

It depends on how involved you want to get with the modification. If you just want to change out the motion segment and add auto leveling, you can pick up a Taz 6 bed plate for $35, another Taz 6 style front idler plate for $15 (it uses the same style as the back motor mount plate) and then the other pieces of the bed and wire harness for another $50 or so (Washers, corner posts, the switch, wire harness, etc.) The motion segment changes can be printed or sourced from ITworks3d.com and mainly consist of the 12mm rods and bearings for the X axis, new X ends, new Z motor and top mounts, new bearing mounts, new carriage pieces, and a couple of extra limit switches.

If you want to redo the control box as well, you can buy the boxes for around $50 or so from ITworks. you will need to rewire pretty much everything to accomodate it though. Costwise that isn't too bad, it's just connectors and wires. But the amount of time and troubleshooting it takes is significant. Here is the assembly instructions though, so you can see what it would require. https://ohai.lulzbot.com/group/taz-6/

Parts source:
https://itworks3d.com/product-category/ ... z-6-parts/

cktechnology

Post by cktechnology » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am

Ok, so how hard or possible would it be to convert a Taz 4 to most of what a Taz 6 is? Obviously the power supply and control part is different, but can the printer mechanics be changed out to give you most of what is in a TAZ 6 or is it time for an upgrade? Thanks!