Brand new at this stuff

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
wmgeorge64

Re: Brand new at this stuff

Post by wmgeorge64 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:54 pm

And PETG is stronger, more durable than ABS. That's about all I have in my inventory, might have 1 or 2 rolls of ABS.
MikeO thanks for the tip on Elmer's School glue for the bed.
ULS Laser . Retired master Electrician in Iowa USA Lots of Hobbies

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:00 pm

wmgeorge64 wrote:And PETG is stronger, more durable than ABS.
Not according to this sledgehammer comparison...

wmgeorge64

Post by wmgeorge64 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:
wmgeorge64 wrote:And PETG is stronger, more durable than ABS.
Not according to this sledgehammer comparison...
I read another comparison that did not use a sledgehammer but "real world" testing. I believe it used printing replacement parts for 3D printers and usage life, a more plausible use than standing up to a sledgehammer!

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

wmgeorge64 wrote: I read another comparison that did not use a sledgehammer but "real world" testing. I believe it used printing replacement parts for 3D printers and usage life, a more plausible use than standing up to a sledgehammer!
I tried a roll to print some printer parts and found it too brittle just like the hammer test. :(
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:23 am

wmgeorge64 wrote: I read another comparison that did not use a sledgehammer but "real world" testing. I believe it used printing replacement parts for 3D printers and usage life, a more plausible use than standing up to a sledgehammer!
Link or it doesn't exist.. just kidding. :)

Yeah... the sledgehammer can be swung at various speeds. So a more quantitative stress test would be more credible. Though I still think ABS is more durable than PETG. Maybe PETG is more modern (I'll caveat that I haven't done much research on the material), but when I pull the dash panelof the car its clearly labeled "ABS".

Regardless, PETG is definitely an easier material to print with than ABS... and its food safe when printed with a SS nozzle.

wmgeorge64

Post by wmgeorge64 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:39 am

I am sure injection molded ABS is great stuff, but we are talking about 3D printing here. PETG is much easier to print, less splitting and warping and regardless of what has been posted here more flexible and stronger than ABS. PETG does not require a enclosure or warm room for printing nor does it need to be kept away from moisture. I just leave a roll hanging on my printer in case I need something printed ASAP.
If you need something to hammer on, keep using ABS in the mean time everyone else is going to PETG.

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:20 am

What would be the recommended material if I'm more concerned with wear, rather than impact? For example when printing replacement herringbone gears for the extruder.

billyd

Post by billyd » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 am

ABS is easy to print with. You just need to get your settings right and have an enclosure. I don't print anything in PLA. I have a spool of PETG but haven't tried it yet.

ABS: No Fan, 100c on the build plate, enclosure, and extruder temps between 240 and 250c. That's all there is to it. Because you don't use a fan you need to be more diligent with small features and or small parts. The easiest way to fix problems like that is to print more than one part. Also you should disable island optimization. Also same with overhangs. With those you want lots of time between layers to let the previous cool. Some do use the fan in these situations, just have to be careful not to over do it.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:21 am

wmgeorge64 wrote:I am sure injection molded ABS is great stuff, but we are talking about 3D printing here. PETG is much easier to print, less splitting and warping and regardless of what has been posted here more flexible and stronger than ABS. PETG does not require a enclosure or warm room for printing nor does it need to be kept away from moisture. I just leave a roll hanging on my printer in case I need something printed ASAP.
If you need something to hammer on, keep using ABS in the mean time everyone else is going to PETG.
Yeah... so that's the difference here. The decision of which material to print is dependent on the final use of the print. If the final purpose is to sit on my shelf as a display piece, then sure PETG, PLA and ABS are all in play... but PETG and PLA could be a better fit for the color and effect. If its something I'm putting on a RC model and expect it to be functional and require durability from crashing and wear/tear, its going to be ABS. Not to say that PETG isn't formidable when it comes to durability, I just don't want people coming back to me saying, it broke and why I printed it in PETG (or talked them into the material) vs the more common ABS.

From a maintenance perspective, I know ABS dissolves in Acetone and uncloggng nozzles or clean up is fairly straight forward. There are solvents for PLA and I think PETG, but they're less common and more detrimental to health than acetone...

In the end, I've spent the last two years fighting it out with ABS. PETG is still fairly new, maybe it will become the dominant printed material.

wmgeorge64

Post by wmgeorge64 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:59 am

Well here is a print I am doing in PETG, its set open on that reel for maybe 6 weeks and I am printing a license plate holder for another trailer. Since it gets flexed and hit a lot, :) when backing up the ABS one did not last long. This is for my jet ski boat trailer the other one was for the gokart hauler trailer.

The machine has been leveled once since August and I am ashamed to admit I just used it out of the box and its never been calibrated.
Nozzle .35, 245/75 settings for eSun. The OEM printhead holder out of ABS had a hairline crack, I printed this one from PETG. One clogged nozzle since August. Biggest issue is keeping the Cat from walking across the printer when its running!
OldPetg.JPG