How Do You Clean TAZ 5 Nozzle Regularly?

I feel as if too much filament is starting to get stuck on the tip of my TAZ 5 nozzle. I know the mini has some sort of cleaning accessory so I was wondering is there supposed to be daily cleaning of the print head exterior and underneath? How is this done?

Also should a nozzle be removed and cleaned out inside regularly?

Thanks,
Chris

I bolted a taz mini style nozzle cleaner to my bed.

I am noticing the filament comes out pigtail like instead of straight lately. Is this a small clog of old filament or do I need to clean the underneath of the nozzle better with a wire brush or something? What is the material used on the mini nozzle cleaner?

Thanks,
Chris

It might be some charred carbon. It’s almost never actually a clog. Never ever ever ever use a wire brush to clean the nozzle, you can short the thermistor or heater core and destroy the Rambo board.

The mini hotends cleaner is basically a felt sponge soaked in acetone . You can buy them in the lulzbot store, and the retrofit mount I designed is on thingiverse.

I think it is more a mixture like Acetone and abs as it is a semi hard/stiff layer in the felt pad. :slight_smile:

Did you write code for the Taz to clean itself or do you control the head manually? If so do you have the code? Ill check out your Thingiverse.

Thanks,
Chris

I clean my nozzles with the following method.

Heat the hotend to printing temp.
Put on leather gloves.
Fold up an old cotton washcloth to make a thick pad.
Wipe the hot nozzle vigorously with the dry wash cloth.

If it needs a little extra cleaning, I use a blue scotch brite pad.

The extruded filament should drop straight out of the nozzle. If it is curling at all, you have a partial blockage inside or right at the tip. These types of blockages can sometimes be cleared by raising the hotend temp and extruding plastic. If that doesn’t work, I use a drill bit smaller than the nozzle size to clear the orifice. I just heat the hotend to printing temps and gently insert the bit into the nozzle, move it up and down a few times then extrude more plastic. Repeat as necessary. Using this method, I have not needed to remove a nozzle for several months.

Very cool. Do you have a 0.50 nozzle? Do you remember the size of the bit you use if so to save me the math?

Thanks again.

Chris

I run a smaller nozzle. You can find sets of small bits with handles on Amazon.

Cool thanks.

28 - 32 AWG magnet wire can be inserted through the 35 - .5 nozzle for cleaning. Its a single solid strand and ensures any remaining particles are cleared from the nozzle opening.

The insulation (enamel) can be scraped off, but its fairly tough. If its a concern, bare copper wire is probably available.

I use copper beading wire to clean carbon and such from the nozzle, available at most hobby stores. I just cleared a extruder last week that had had a drill bit broke off in it. :laughing:

When Radio Shack used to be around they sold tinned bare copper wire on a small spool for making jumpers on circuit boards that might work. On my 3D printers I’ve cleaned the nozzle when hot with a green Scotchbrite pad and it seems to do the job. In fact I keep right by the printer and wipe before and after every print.