Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
nopick

Re: Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

Post by nopick » Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm

How does the forward / aft position of the nozzle compare to stock with this setup?

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:57 pm

At least the height of the stepper motor... unless mounting backwards, then could be pretty close to stock.

I've been working on a dual side by side for a friend, using the half height motors is about 40mm+12.5 for the hotend.

PdxSteve

Post by PdxSteve » Mon May 02, 2016 6:35 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:At least the height of the stepper motor... unless mounting backwards, then could be pretty close to stock.

I've been working on a dual side by side for a friend, using the half height motors is about 40mm+12.5 for the hotend.
Ohhh...that sounds like it might then be possible for 3, or even 4 extruders?

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:48 pm

nopick wrote:How does the forward / aft position of the nozzle compare to stock with this setup?
I was thinking... if you turn it 90 deg CCW, you could get the hotend pretty close to the stock hotend.

As for 3-4 extruders... definitely possible, but then you'd need a different control board.

lasersharkdesign

Post by lasersharkdesign » Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 am

kcchen_00 wrote:
nopick wrote:How does the forward / aft position of the nozzle compare to stock with this setup?
I was thinking... if you turn it 90 deg CCW, you could get the hotend pretty close to the stock hotend.

As for 3-4 extruders... definitely possible, but then you'd need a different control board.
You could, but then getting the faceplate off to swap hot ends or to clear a jam would be a major pain in the butt. Thats why I mounted it front facing - but - it's all personal preference.

Even with it somewhat off on the X axis and much further forward on the Y, it was simple enough to loosen, shift, and retighten the bed so it's centered, and I still have 100% of the bed to use.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Front facing would be my preference also.

One of the attractive aspects of the Titan is access to the hotend. Making dedicated hotends for filament types feasible.

lasersharkdesign

Post by lasersharkdesign » Thu May 05, 2016 5:22 am

kcchen_00 wrote:Front facing would be my preference also.

One of the attractive aspects of the Titan is access to the hotend. Making dedicated hotends for filament types feasible.
I love the Titan. Reduced my extruder weight by 20%, I can go 1.75 or 3mm without hassle, and can print flexible without a $300 upgraded extruder.

My only complaint is I wish it were easier to swap hot ends. A quick release system would be great for a v2 Titan. I may even try modding my Titan for that. Only need to reengineer the front plate. Hmm. Looks like I have a new project for today!

Also planning to add a self adjusting sled for my capacitive probe to further reduce weight, plus auto accommodate different head heights.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 pm

Swapping hotends should be pretty easy... put some thumbscrew caps on the 4 M3 socket cap screws for toolless cover remval. I'd ungroup the connectors for the for the hotend (heater, and thermistor) and fix it on the mount so that it can easily be disconnected for swapping.

After a few revisions on the dual extruder idea, it looks like we're going to put the extruders face to face. The mount will allow for the extruder assembly to be removed for servicing and swapping for dedicated filaments. Keeping the hotends centered on the mount will hopefully reduce the need to level the nozzles individually... Still early, but seems feasible if we can find the space under the mount for blowers.

suntorn

Post by suntorn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Very interested in purchasing one of these. I have a taz 4 with an e3d v6. I bought another e3d v6 to make a flexystruder, but this looks to be the ticket. Has anyone compared the flexystruder vs. The titan? Also not to change topics but Ive been wanting to get a palette http://www.mosaicmanufacturing.com , and now with titan being able to swap easy to 1.75 mm filament, I can. Has anyone used the palette?

infiniteloop

Post by infiniteloop » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:18 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:At least the height of the stepper motor... unless mounting backwards, then could be pretty close to stock.

Any chance you finished a dual titan dual e3d v6 carriage/mount? I am desperately searching for one. Also looking for a chimera mount for Taz 5.