Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
kcchen_00

Re: Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

Post by kcchen_00 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Ok. Made some final tweaks to the Dual Titan extruder. I'm travelling for the next few weeks, so won't be able to test in the near future. Thought I'd post here for a few days before uploading to Thingiverse.

For the brave, the STLs are attached. Additional hardware:
- 2x M4x8mm socket cap screws
- 2x M4 hex nuts
- 4x M3x25mm socket cap screws
- 4x M3 hex nuts
- 2x 5015 Fan
Hardware stores may care the metric socket cap and hex nuts also.

Here are other vitals to assemble and get the extruder working:
- Assemble each extruder tray assembly
- Insert M4 nut into tray before placing the NEMA17. May need to use the M4 screw to "suck" the hex nut into the opening on the tray.
- Since the extruder cover needs to be sandwiched between the Fan Duct Interface and extruder body, use the longer M3 (I think they are 35mm) screws that came with the Titan.
- Use the M3x25mm socket cap screws and hex nuts to attach 5015 fan to the Fan Duct. Leave these slightly loose until slid on the FD Interface. Tighten the screws after everything is assembled... this will help lock the fan duct in place.
- Slide the extruder tray into the ToolMount. Use the M4 screw to secure the tray.
- In the slicer use X-Offset of 65mm

Good luck! Report back!
Attachments
TAZ-DualTitan-ToolMount.V5.stl
(604.29 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
TAZ-DualTitan_FanDuct Interface.V5.stl
(473.81 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
TAZ-DualTitan_Extruder Tray.V5.stl
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
TAZ-DualTitan_5015 FanDuct.V5.stl
(573.69 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
TAZ-DualTitan_5015 Cover.V5.stl
(615.33 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

cfipilot

Post by cfipilot » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 pm

This is great. Need to add to the list of upgrades i want to do. Did you get a chance to test it out yeT?

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 am

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is the TAZ 5 the same mount as the TAZ 6? If so, I can give this a whirl to test it as well (I have a TAZ 6).

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:02 am

alexmit wrote:Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is the TAZ 5 the same mount as the TAZ 6? If so, I can give this a whirl to test it as well (I have a TAZ 6).

Essentially yes. The notch and bolt mount point is the same, the Taz 6 mount itself is a little lower than the early Taz 5 mounts, but that actually helps so it isn't an issue. The wire harness connectors may be slightly different, but easy to adapt.

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 am

piercet wrote:
alexmit wrote:Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is the TAZ 5 the same mount as the TAZ 6? If so, I can give this a whirl to test it as well (I have a TAZ 6).

Essentially yes. The notch and bolt mount point is the same, the Taz 6 mount itself is a little lower than the early Taz 5 mounts, but that actually helps so it isn't an issue. The wire harness connectors may be slightly different, but easy to adapt.
The wiring is a concern for me. I see a guide on Matterhackers about wiring for the TAZ 5 (I think that was the model). I don't want to fry my new TAZ 6. ;-) I see some deep research ahead.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:52 am

Basically you have a couple separate wires to think about. The heater core, the thermistor, the extruder motor, and the two fan controls. As long as you don't plug the thermistor into a voltage lead it should be difficult to fry anything. You can find the wiring installation and pictures and whatnot here: https://ohai.lulzbot.com/

nopick

Post by nopick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm

infiniteloop wrote:kcchen,

Thank you VERY MUCH for getting back to me on this. I just finished my open rails x axis mod and am now prepping to get this toolhead assembled but I don't know my way around 3D modeling >.<

Here is a single version of the titan + E3D mount:
SingleTitanExtruderForTaz5.stl.zip
Having thought a fair bit about it, but with minimal experience as a modeler, I thought of a few things...

The motors should be as close to the carriage as possible (and as close together as possible) because they are the heaviest things on the toolhead. That should reduce vibration / artifacts the most. [Anyone jump in here with more experience on this issue!]

Secondarily, the toolheads should be as close together as possible but this is pretty much dependent on where the motors sit.

Third, The fans should not be in the front as you have modeled in your own design [in my noob opinion]. Like the single version I posted here, the fans should come from either side so as to keep everything as close to the rail as possible.

Also, It would be optimal if we can see inside the extruders through their clear siding but if they have to be facing each other or something so be it...

Let me know how many six packs of beer I can help sponsor your efforts with!!! I am dreading the idea of learning 3D modeling to make such a technical item. Let me know what you think :)
Does anyone know where to get the fan duct stl for this single extruder mount? The E3D Wiki shows one but I can't find a download link for it.

thirstycrow

Post by thirstycrow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:54 am

I bought dual Titan's and dual E3D v6 hot ends. I also got the smaller (shorter height) stepper motors that were recommended by Tom (http://toms3d.org/2016/04/24/review-e3d ... -extruder/) and by the support person at Filastruder where I bought the extruders and hot ends.

http://www.filastruder.com/products/e3d-titan-extruder
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-1 ... p-260.html

I developed a custom extruder mount that takes advantage of the smaller steppers to keep everything as close to the x-axis rail as possible. I will post the stl files once I have tested everything out. I created a pivot point in the mount so that the print heads can be easily leveled with respect to the print bed.

At this point I need to get the software set up for the dual heads. The 'add a new machine' option in Cura is geared towards the tool heads provided by Lulzbot. I know I need to modify the limits on the x and y travel to accommodate the change in nozzle placement with respect to the carriage. I think I found the place for that. My main question is whether the path forward involves updating the firmware or can the necessary settings modifications be accomplished via Cura?

Any advice or tips are welcome.

Thanks
Attachments
Dual heads.jpg

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:09 am

Thirstycow,
Which model Taz did you install/build this on?
Just a quick thought, but the Taz 5 & 6 appears to be optimized as far as axis travel goes by having one extruder in front of the other instead of side-by-side to use the whole bed area. Did your side-by-side layout constrict your bed area usage?

thirstycrow

Post by thirstycrow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am

It's a Taz 5. I really poured over the design and this one more or less represents v3. I had to make a few compromises, but it achieved all of my goals. The left nozzle tip has complete coverage of the print bed. The distance between the left and right nozzle tips is 2.481 in. That's how much I will loose on the right side of the bed for dual printing. I can certainly envision other designs that get the nozzles closer together but they would require a Bowden type setup where the extruder is not on the carriage. The nice thing about the components is that I could break everything apart and reconfigure it that way if print area becomes an issue. It seems like everything is going to work, I just need to modify the settings so I can test it out. So that's where I'm at now - information gathering. I'm the slow, steady, perfectionist type.