Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
alexmit

Re: Any thoughts n the E3D Titan extruded?

Post by alexmit » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am

I'm looking forward to the idea of a "combo system"that has 1 bowden extruder and 1 direct drive. This way one could adapt the upcoming Prusa 4 color system along with a specialty filament in the second extruder. For example, 4 ABS colors + Ninjaflex for a total of 5 colors or 2 materials. My idea above sort of defeats the idea behind the quad bowden system Prusa is working on though.

maverick0628

Post by maverick0628 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly share their settings for the E3D Titan + E3D v6 hotend combo. I have been struggling to get this set up printing consistently. I was able to print with the v6 hotend and stock extruder fine but the titan ends up chewing through the filament and stopping.

Thanks in advance

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 pm

maverick0628 wrote:Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly share their settings for the E3D Titan + E3D v6 hotend combo. I have been struggling to get this set up printing consistently. I was able to print with the v6 hotend and stock extruder fine but the titan ends up chewing through the filament and stopping.

Thanks in advance
I'm still working on getting mine together on a single extruder head, but have you calibrated the PID loop in firmware for the new heat block? Have you re-calibrated your E-steps? I think both would be pretty important when you add a new hot end and extruder. Also, what filament and temps are you running?

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm

maverick0628 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks in advance
I just saw your post in another thread. If you are running the stock E3D heat sink fan, it is 12V. The stock Taz 6 wiring harness configuration provides 5V. So that could be causing heat creep and clogging issue if the fan isn't cooling enough. You can either wire the fan to 12V, or buy a 5V fan. I opted to buy a noctua 5V fan so I don't have to change the wiring harness and can swap to stock tool heads easily.

maverick0628

Post by maverick0628 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:42 pm

I really haven't done much calibrating at all because when its printing, it's got quite good print quality and dimensional accuracy so I haven't had something I have specifically thought had to be calibrated. I am printing ABS at 240 which works perfect on the stock extruder. If you think I need to look into calibrating both of those I will try that.

One thing that might be relevant is that I have had some blockages on the hotend recently. I've replaced the nozzle and turned down my retraction settings from 1.7 to 1 and hasn't seemed to help. Also, the heat sink on the hotend is quite warm (per an e3d post saying this should always be cool). Is that a firmware setting issue or a fan cooling issue? I am not sure what it was wired to but the fan was connected in with the pins to the main board, I'll need to look at what that is exactly (attached a picture of it).

http://matterhackers.dozuki.com/Guide/H ... ot+TAZ+5/5
Attachments
fan wiring.jpg
fan wiring.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm

maverick0628 wrote:I really haven't done much calibrating at all because when its printing, it's got quite good print quality and dimensional accuracy so I haven't had something I have specifically thought had to be calibrated. I am printing ABS at 240 which works perfect on the stock extruder. If you think I need to look into calibrating both of those I will try that.

One thing that might be relevant is that I have had some blockages on the hotend recently. I've replaced the nozzle and turned down my retraction settings from 1.7 to 1 and hasn't seemed to help. Also, the heat sink on the hotend is quite warm (per an e3d post saying this should always be cool). Is that a firmware setting issue or a fan cooling issue? I am not sure what it was wired to but the fan was connected in with the pins to the main board, I'll need to look at what that is exactly (attached a picture of it).

http://matterhackers.dozuki.com/Guide/H ... ot+TAZ+5/5
The Pid settings are for the heater block, not the fan. I'm still betting your fan is wired on 5V, but can't say for sure. Here is the wiring for the E3D Hot end in the mini. The E3D fan needs 24V (so I was mistaken on voltage earlier). If I understand correctly, it is the same for the Taz 6.

Edit- now I'm unsure of the fan voltage on the stock E3D fan. Please do not believe my post until you research it. I do know it is not a 5V fan though.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:48 pm

The E3D heatsink fan is most likely 12V. Their website only sells a 12V...

Best idea is to buy a 5V to ensure you've got a compatible heatsink fan.

alexmit

Post by alexmit » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 am

kcchen_00 wrote:The E3D heatsink fan is most likely 12V. Their website only sells a 12V...

Best idea is to buy a 5V to ensure you've got a compatible heatsink fan.
This is what I did. I bought a noctua 5v fan so I could easily swap back to stock tool heads since the wiring harness would stay the same. I'm still assembling my E3D with Titan head for my Taz 6.

maverick0628

Post by maverick0628 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Ok so I wired the hotend fan directly to 12v (same that runs the LED enclosure lights) and the heatsink is now cool to the touch so I think this has corrected at least one issue.

I did the PID calibrating and re-flashed the firmware, however, when I went to go calibrate the e-steps the extruder is just grinding away at the filament... I have moved the tensioner screw between from far left (loose) to the midpoint (tight on 2.85mm) with no real difference. I did a cold pull of ABS and it appears the nozzle is not clogged so I am unsure what else I can do at this point except go back to the stock extruder which is quite disappointing because when its printing it has great results.

rexsolomon

Post by rexsolomon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I use the E3D Titan and there is a significant problem with it.
Namely, the motor shaft is not supported in any way by the Titan's cover (even if there is a center hole on the cover).

I have a thread on the Titan section of the E3D forum regarding a solution for it.
My Taz 5 has a now modified Titan (to resolve this problem), pancake motor, E3D V6 and PT100 high temp sensor kit.

To be fair to E3D, since I have improvised a solution for the Titan, I have no problems with it whatsoever.

Here's my take away if you want to save a lot of money:
Just add a PT100-type sensor to your Hexagon hot end and get the amplifier board that goes with it.

That way you'll avoid the problems associated with the Titan (i.e. clicking noises, extrusion and retraction problems, motor shaft drifting from center). Of course a full size motor is more powerful than a pancake (but that is not the Titan's fault).

I hope this helps.