Flexydually - clogged front hotend on test print

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
mike.stanley

Flexydually - clogged front hotend on test print

Post by mike.stanley » Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 am

Hello all,

All setup and calibrated. Excitement growing. Front end clogging on Keychain print.

I'm using the filament shipped with tool head, the latest Cura, quick print standard ABS & Ninja Flex, and the recommended temps (T0: 240, Bed: 100, T1: 220)

Half way through the first print the flexible material started to clog. I cleared it out (removed the filament entirely, cut the shredded end off, turned up heat, extruded any remaining material, fed ninja back through and extruded until clean extrusion occurred, extruded another 10mm for good luck ) i also adjusted the z axis slightly before the second print. The first layer of the first print seemed a tad flat to me. The second print same problem, but much earlier in process.

Any advice on how to resolve this or this to try?
Attachments
20160513_062524.jpg
Second attempt
20160513_062455.jpg
First print

kmanley57

Re: Flexydually - clogged front hotend on test print

Post by kmanley57 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:49 am

I tend to print Ninjaflex more around 225 - 230.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

mike.stanley

Post by mike.stanley » Fri May 13, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks. Will give that a shot. Generally speaking - is clogging typically caused by the hot end not being hot enough? (or are there other things I should be looking at as well).

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 am

Not hot enough or feeding it too fast.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Sun May 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes, try bumping the temp to 230C on the ninjaflex extruder and see if that helps.

mike.stanley

Post by mike.stanley » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm

230 did the trick. thanks everyone.

Uptime

Post by Uptime » Thu May 19, 2016 12:12 pm

I am having the same issue. Raising the temperature of the NinjaFlex nozzle to 230 deg helps, but it did not solve the problem. The first two layers a perfect, but immediately after that the NinjaFlex jams. I can see the feed gear turns smoothly for a few seconds (~3) then it skips.

Any suggestions?

PdxSteve

Post by PdxSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 4:17 pm

I've been having the same issue using default everything in Cura for the test prints and following the supplied FDv2 guide. Higher temps do help, but it still happens (small gear on T1 extruder skipping). It also seems to take a lot longer for either toolhead to come up to temp vs the stock. I'm wondering if it's not holding the temp very well. The default print speeds are very slow, as well as the extrusion speed compared to the stock toolhead, so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I'm without my printer right now (waiting for the 6 to get here) so haven't been able to play with it much lately.

mike.stanley

Post by mike.stanley » Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 pm

One additional thing I was so using the test filaments. I just added a spool of abs I had and opened a new spool of ninjaflex. I think that helped the filament tubes/guides stay a little more stable during the print. Not sure it mattered in the end, but it seemed to contribute to the help.

I also had success slightly hotter 235, but it was a bit messier (definitely needed the ooze guard).

Here's one of the better runs I had. The ninjaflex was good. The abs needs a little tuning still.
Attachments
20160519_231311.jpg

mike.stanley

Post by mike.stanley » Fri May 20, 2016 5:29 am

Oh and Any advice on improving the abs would be appreciated as well. Since putting the new tool head on, I've been more focused on the ninjaflex side of things and leaning towards out of the box settings. I haven't gone through and fine tuned my abs yet in expert mode. I've had success in the past doing the following:

1) measuring and adjusting filament width. This was printed with default 2.85 where I find the spool averages closer to 2.96
2) adjusting temp (using IC3D ABS I find it actually likes relatively lower temps 235). This was printed at 240 (which i believe is the main reason for strings on top and particles in ninjaflex)
3) adjusting layer height and fill percentage. I lean towards .15 height and 40% infill. Default I think is 20 and 20 respectively.
4) speed. Although the flexy dual head default already seem slower than I've printed in the past.

I've never adjusted flow % but see that recommended a lot. Going to check it out.
I'm not convinced my bed is as level as it should be (kind of did it quickly from the excitement. Eager to print). I still use paper method (which I hate). I never know the proper tension for the paper. I'm going to purchase a digital gauge or two and switch to that method. Leveling and calibrating Z height is where I have the least confidence.