Taz 6 error Probe Fail Clean Nozzle

Folks,

I just tried to run my first test print. I keep getting a Probe Fail Clean Nozzle message. The nozzle looks clean. Any suggestions? I am want this printer to work.

Thanks.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I had the same problem; I fixed it by performing step 23 of the following maintenance note.
https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/squaring-taz-6-frame/

I only did step 23, not the rest of the steps and it worked.

Good luck,

-eddiedoc

Thank you eddiedoc,

I did step 23 and no luck. Anyone else have a suggestion? I really dont want to send this machine back.

Thanks,
Tom

I ran into the same issue the first few times. A few suggestions:

1. Call support, they’re awesome!
  2. I also ran into the “frame squareness” issue. My symptoms were the Z axis would get stuck, I couldn’t run manually move it more than a few inches above heated bed. Once I ran through the service bulletin (yes, all 23 steps), the problem went away.
  3. Make sure the extruder head is at the proper temperature. And once there, scrape any excess melted filament from the head.

Good luck!

What probed heights are reported during the corner probing, and is it the same corner most times. Need a little more information.

Thanks,

I am looking around and I have not found out how to do a corner probe. I appreciate a link and I am sorry if this is an obvious question.

Tom

The corner probing is automatic and happens when you first start a print, when it does the leveling process before the actual printing. It moves the toolhead to each of the 4 corners and touches the metal plate mounts. The findings (x/y/z positions) are reported in the cura interface (right hand portion of the screen) for each point as it completes that corners probe.

Thanks,

My Taz 6 is only going to two cornes (left side of the machine). I can manually make the printer go the right. I guess my real question is how I can I get the print head to travel to all four corners at startup.

Thanks Again Everyone,
Tom

FYI,

If the Taz 6 fails the probe sequence, it does move to the corners of the right side of the printer.

What are you test prinitng? Is it one of the gcode files from Lulzbot? If not, that’s probably the first print you should try. It will have the wipe sequence as specified by the factory.

Here’s a link to the calibration octopus:
http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Olive/calibration/calibration_octopus_taz6_nGen-high-speed.gcode

Note the print temps are specified for N-Gen, so you may need to adjust the temp. Change line 59 of the code to the extrusion temp for the filament.

That says it is failing the very first probe point, which is the front left corner of the bed. I would contact Support and have them help you. You did not say if it gives any results on the first probe, but if not then you need to talk to support.

Thanks,

I working on the very start first print - Octopus.

Tom

The findings (x/y/z positions) are reported in the cura interface (right hand portion of the screen) for each point as it completes that corners probe.

If you are not seeing any reported height on the front of the cura interface like “-1.42” or “-2.14” for example or something similar when it goes to probe each corner of the bed then it means that on your machine there is a problem with the bed leveling circuit. Perhaps the screw on your hot end is loose. Perhaps the screw underneath the aluminum build plate is loose. Perhaps one of the wires has a cut in it. But basically there is no continuity between the bed leveling washers (which goes to ground on the rambo board) and the hot end (which goes to a 5v source). These normally short out simulating that a button has been pressed.

You probably could use the following commands to probe manually without having to wait for your printer to heat up while you debug the issue.

M204 S300                    ; set accel for probing
G29                          ; Probe

Folks,

I never could get the error Probe failure fixed so I sent it back via Amazon. More printers became available on Amazon and I shipped one again overnight. I own min Lulzbots so I was very fire up this beast. This time I get this error. I very carefully followed instructions and had another tech guy looking over my shoulder when putting this together. Folks, Lulzbot may have some quality control issues.

Changing monitoring state from ‘Offline’ to ‘Opening serial port’
Connecting to: COM4 with baudrate: 250000 (configured)
Connected to: Serial<id=0x21c6490, open=True>(port=‘COM4’, baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity=‘N’, stopbits=1, timeout=5, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from ‘Opening serial port’ to ‘Connecting’
Recv: start
Send: M105
Recv: echo:Marlin1.0.2.19
Recv: echo: Last Updated: Feb 16 2016 13:37:11 | Author: (none, default config)
Recv: Compiled: Feb 16 2016
Recv: echo: Free Memory: 2861 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
Recv: echo:Stored settings retrieved
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo: M92 X100.50 Y100.50 Z1600.00 E862.00
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo: M203 X800.00 Y800.00 Z3.00 E40.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo: M204 S500.00 T3000.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X8.00 Z0.40 E10.00
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo: M301 P28.79 I1.91 D108.51
Recv: echo:Eqn coefficients:
Recv: echo:a: 0.002593 b: 0.000617 d: 1.662946
Recv: Error:0
Recv: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Changing monitoring state from ‘Connecting’ to ‘Error: 0: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP t…’
Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Changing monitoring state from ‘Offline’ to ‘Opening serial port’
Connecting to: COM4 with baudrate: 250000 (configured)
Connected to: Serial<id=0x21e64b0, open=True>(port=‘COM4’, baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity=‘N’, stopbits=1, timeout=5, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from ‘Opening serial port’ to ‘Connecting’
Recv: start
Send: M105
Recv: echo:Marlin1.0.2.19
Recv: echo: Last Updated: Feb 16 2016 13:37:11 | Author: (none, default config)
Recv: Compiled: Feb 16 2016
Recv: echo: Free Memory: 2861 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
Recv: echo:Stored settings retrieved
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo: M92 X100.50 Y100.50 Z1600.00 E862.00
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo: M203 X800.00 Y800.00 Z3.00 E40.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo: M204 S500.00 T3000.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X8.00 Z0.40 E10.00
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo: M301 P28.79 I1.91 D108.51
Recv: echo:Eqn coefficients:
Recv: echo:a: 0.002593 b: 0.000617 d: 1.662946
Recv: Error:0
Recv: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Changing monitoring state from ‘Connecting’ to ‘Error: 0: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP t…’
Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temp

That’s the second time I read here about failing temperature tests with a TAZ 6. There are two options: They have problems with the hot ends or they selected very bad temp. error limits…

What’s the reported temperature of your nozzle without heating it?

+1 here for the PROBE FAIL CLEAN NOZ error. Spent 45min with support yesterday and 6 hours of troubleshooting so far. Error has been occurring since the very first time I hit print and have not yet had a successful print. Trying to go through RMA process now – what a headache.

Hello all - I just received a brand new Taz 6. Printing my first rocktopus I got: PROBE FAIL CLEAN NOZ and it wouldn’t align on the first front/left corner, and tried re-wiping multiple times. When going to the first corner, the extruder head pushes the corner down pretty far (1/4" to 1/2" maybe?) before retracting and going back to re-wipe. My understanding is conductivity is supposed to be made and then immediately stop the corner alignment to measure the height. In this case it appears to just keep going, and gives up when it knows it should have seen seen the corner conductivity by that z-depth.

I did this numerous times, cleaned the hot-end extruder tip, removed/replaced filament, confirmed the x-axis was level, and confirmed the frame was square. I went through the service guides and did the factory calibration on the SD card and the problem still existed. I tried to print the factory octopus g-code and it failed on level’ing as well.

I then confirmed there was conductivity between all four corners with a multimeter, as well as confirmed that conductivity reached the try plugs, and was received through the connectors. I did the same for the hot-end (conductivity was measured from hot-end up to the far-side of the hot-end plug). There was no conductivity between a corner and the extruder tip, but I assume that was because the calibration process was not running and the circuit wasn’t open. I did try and measure while the calibration was running, but was a little difficult (never got conductivity nor the 5V voltage from the hot-end, this may just be lack of ability to capture the read as the head was moving, and I didn’t want to get in the way of the extruder assembly movement).

I’m going to call support today - anyone else have any suggestions? It initially seems like an internal controller issue to me as conductivity between the platform corners runs back to the controller box, as does the hot-end, so it signals to me something inside there… Hoping I don’t have to RMA this thing.

Thanks for any help offered!

I had the same problem with PROBE FAIL CLEAN NOZ error, which was corrected by just doing step 23.

Prior to that, I had a rattle when moving up and down on the Z axis on the left side bottom side near the z axis motor, which may be an indicator of the Z axis not being in alignment.

I am also having this problem. Step 23 didn’t help.

I found that if I artificially create an electrical connection between the hot end (the metal box engraved with “hexagon”) and the front left corner of the print bed, then I could get the probe sequence to continue past that point. This means I am failing to get an electrical connection between the very tip of the nozzle and the corner of the print bed.

What worked for me was to literally clean the tip of the nozzle, by wiping it with rubbing alcohol and then very lightly sanding it. I would surmise that the electrical connection was being blocked by either oxidation or a tiny amount of plastic that the wiping process failed to remove.

Hi oddron

scotch brite helps a lot.
This is not as radical as sanding but does a perfect cleaning job before printing.

All the Best
Frank