Catastrophic failure

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
piercet

Re: Catastrophic failure

Post by piercet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

idiot wrote:Ive seen a couple of these failures pop up when browsing the forum over the last year or so.

Is there no way to program a fail safe into the firmware or something to shut the machine off before it causes all this wreckage?

The failure is that the programming locks up. There isn't a board thermistor in the case that I know of to give it a temperature to auto shut off on. So even if you did have something programmed to stop print at a certain temperature, it wouldn't trigger. You could probably add a thermistor to the i2c bus and measure the temperature that way, but that would require hardware.

idiot

Post by idiot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm no machine/programming/electrics whizz. I don't really know what's possible. I Just wondered if anyone had thought about making a fail safe as whilst it's not a common issue, it's seems to hve happened a few times, and I can't imagine it's cheap or fun to fix.

Maybe a pressure sensor somewhere in the extruder body that triggers a kill switch?

Farris

Post by Farris » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:37 pm

It wasn't really a terrible fix. More tedious and time consuming than anything. Worst part was having to replace the pei sheet, but I already had a replacement on order for the aluminum bed upgrade. The rest was a little solder and acetone and understanding what I screwed up so it doesn't happen again.

We might want to have a sticky at some point for these questions that new people don't necessarily think about. "before you start printing, here are some common mistakes" or something like that.