Taz 2 nozzle temps over 240C

I’m wanting to play with some glow in the dark ABS, but the extrusion temp is listed at 250C. I know from reading the forums that the Buddaschnozzle on the Taz2 will have problems over 240C. My question is what needs to be modified to allow for higher heat?

I see an upgrade kit for the earlier nozzles for higher heat. Is 2.0c similar?

The polyschnozzle (sp) only fits on an older style nozzle. It to my knowledge is the only nozzle that will get up that high in temperature without melting. The issue with the Buddaschnozzle (sp?) even version 2.0 is the PTFE plastic tube inside of it which melts at that temperature.

Understood. So it sounds like I end up with two extruders, one for general purpose fun and the other for high temp stuff. I wonder if there’ll be a nice pre assemble high temp head from Lulz coming along? If not, what do you suppose would be needed to make one, or would be simpler to just get an already existing extruder and fashion a mount for the Taz?

I’ve actually got an older machine, it started out life as an AO-100, though now it’s fairly close to a taz in terms of mechanicals. WHat I am planning on doing in my case is convert the Budaschnozle 1.0 nozzle that came with the machine to a polyschnozzle with the kit, since it will fit, and then purchase a seperate 2.0 budaschnozzle or 3 for other printings. I’ve installed a “quick fit” compliant quick disconnect carriage in my machine so I can swap out print head assemblies and i’ll be putting a serial DB9 or DB-16 connection in line on the wire harness so I can add and remove assemblies as needed. Given the amount of wiring putting a new nozzle on a machine requires, that seems to be the easiest way to make nozzle changes feasable in a quick amount of time. I’ll run a second wire harness eventually when I build the dual extruder setup. I have a few printer upgrade design projects and holliday printing in process before I go messing too much with the electrical connections

There are other nozzles out there, though the lulzbot one seems to be one of the more reliable and consistant ones. Do a search for “all metal extruder hot ends” and you’ll be able to see some of the variations. You can generally find a Greg Wades accessable extruder style carriage (what the TAZ and the AO-10x series uses) to fit most any hot end if you feel like experementing.

Hi Bob, I would expect the glow in the dark ABS to work fine at 235°c. Worth asking for a sample and testing it though. Antony

I’ve written to the seller to see if that temp is perhaps a typo. They do sell a small sample pack of colors that I might try depending on what the guy says.

I do see a ‘prusanozzle’ that is solid stainless steal. That looks interesting. The Taz assembly is pretty slick, and it would be great to have a standby head assembly for the high heat materials. So far I’m a total noob, got my first printer 2 weeks ago. I’m not sure how I would go about printing a new carriage for use with something like the prusanozzle (or other). I’d love to see someone else’s build of something like this so I can see what I’m in for. It seems as though most of the ‘instructions’ are written for someone with a higher level of knowledge.

It seems like I would need the following:
plans for a carriage that fits the Taz and the chosen nozzle
stepper motor
hobbed bolt
tension bolts, springs, washers
bearings
nozzle

I’m sure I can figure most all of that out except for the carriage plans themselves. I looked around on thingverse, but nothing (or too many things) jumped out at me.

We have glow in the dark that works at 230C in the store:

http://www.lulzbot.com/?q=products/glow-dark-abs-3mm-filament-1kg-reel

The Prusa nozzle got mixed reviews on the RepRap forums. I have no direct feedback to offer but from what I’ve read, it is still very far from being out of the development stage, and not many people use it, so I would use caution, unless you want to participate to testing.

The all-metal hotend that is all the rage ATM is the E3D. But there are a few others in the works.

The E3D nozzle looks good. Thanks for pointing it out to me. On the site it says “The fully assembled hot end emulates J-Head style mounting, and should fit most extruder bodies accordingly”

Does the Taz mounting plate use “j-head style mounting”? Is this as simple as replacing my current nozzle with the E3D (and some wiring)?

No, a J head has a circular section that goes up into the extruder body. You would need to print either an adaptor plate or a different extruder body such as this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12661 to fit a j-head properly. Everything else would fit the same. Also be aware that some of the J-head designs are going to require cooling of some sort on the body of the hot end to keep it from transferring heat to your extruder mechanism and causing Bad Things to occur to it.

The E3D already comes with a cooling fan and a fan mount. Almost all comments I’ve read on the RepRap forums and the Google+ 3D Printing community are positive. The only drawback mentioned is that the fan is noisy.

I would prefer to order all my supplies through Lulz, but you guys don’t accept Bitcoin yet. :frowning: one day hopefully.

Yep, I just saw that too… E3D v5 looks like a well thought-out package, not just the nozzle. Reasonably priced for all of that. I’m going to give it a try.

Just getting ready to place my order, and I noticed the water-cooled, 4 nozzle Kraken… whoa-ho-ho!
http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken

I’m getting the single nozzle for now, but I wonder what it might take to get the electronics of the Taz to work with 4 extruders … ?

The Azteeg controller will support 3 extruders. I’m not sure there is a quad extruder specific controller yet unless you dual up one of the extruders and use one control output to make 2 simultaneous models.
http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_reprap_3d_printer_controller_p/ax33dp.htm

Bob: RepRapPro just released a new type of controller called the RepRap Duet, it has an expansion card to allow for more extruders/tool heads to be added. It’s new, so there may not be too much info on it out yet.

I also see Slic3r 1.0 supports at least 4 extruders. So, it seems like the software is getting there too.

It’s definitely looking like when it’s time to upgrade to multiple extruders, I’ll be looking long and hard at the quad water-cooled option.